Why Does the Apple Cube Charger Not Charge Properly?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so my iPhone needs to charge overnight so that my alarm goes off in the morning. Now before I had some random Motorola charger, this one worked fine and charged the phone easiy. However, my brother stole it, so I found one of the stock Apple chargers I had and start using it to charge my phone at night and it sucks, the phone after 8 hours of charging onlyhits about 60% from 20%. Comparitively, the Motorola charger from the same point hits 100% after 8 hours or maybe even less. Also if I plug in thre phone and try to use it at the same time, it actually loses battery.

Were you using the Motorola one ON your iPhone???

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It takes 8 hours to charge your phone!? It takes like an hour and a half until my phone is at 100%. 

Hey guys, so my iPhone needs to charge overnight so that my alarm goes off in the morning. Now before I had some random Motorola charger, this one worked fine and charged the phone easiy. However, my brother stole it, so I found one of the stock Apple chargers I had and start using it to charge my phone at night and it sucks, the phone after 8 hours of charging onlyhits about 60% from 20%. Comparitively, the Motorola charger from the same point hits 100% after 8 hours or maybe even less. Also if I plug in thre phone and try to use it at the same time, it actually loses battery.

Sounds like you may have a fault in your iPhone. I suggest taking it to the Genius Bar.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I charge my iPhone overnight and it reaches 100% before I fall asleep...

Sounds like you may have a fault in your iPhone. I suggest taking it to the Genius Bar.

I can't as it's:

A. Not technically mine according to my carrier.

B. Is way past it's warranty.

I charge my iPhone overnight and it reaches 100% before I fall asleep...

Which one do you have?

I can't as it's:

A. Not technically mine according to my carrier.

B. Is way past it's warranty.

Sometimes if you ask nicely they will help anyways.

Honestly though, it sounds like a battery problem. Is there a way you could use a different cable and adapter to charge it? That would help isolate the issue.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

There is nothing wrong with that. All USB chargers pretty much give out 5v at 1 Amp or 500 mah..

I am a happy wuffy

My brother takes pretty much all of my chargers so I just use whatever I can find.

Which one do you have?

I have a iPhone 4... don't ask why. 

There is nothing wrong with that. All USB chargers pretty much give out 5v at 1 Amp or 500 mah..

Some of them don't play nice though...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My brother takes pretty much all of my chargers so I just use whatever I can find.

It might be the cable, I have gone through multiple cables. Try getting a brand new one. 

Sometimes if you ask nicely they will help anyways.

Honestly though, it sounds like a battery problem. Is there a way you could use a different cable and adapter to charge it? That would help isolate the issue.

I've tried other cables to no avail, it sometimes however, will stop charging with a "this accesory is not supported" message.

Some of them don't play nice though...

Yeah some don't but apple devices are terribly picky until you mess with having voltage on the signal lines to get the iphone charging faster.

I am a happy wuffy

Yeah some don't but apple devices are terribly picky until you mess with having voltage on the signal lines to get the iphone charging faster.

Yeah, I thought I killed my school iPad when I had to use a different USB charger (had the same specs) and it took 4 hours to charge.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I've tried other cables to no avail, it sometimes however, will stop charging with a "this accesory is not supported" message.

Is this a lightning connector? Or the old 30 pin?

You have to find another cable and charger to test it with. Several to be sure. Could you borrow one or buy one and return it a day later?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I have a iPhone 4... don't ask why.

As do I, I have a brand new cable, I used to have a couple of extensions also plugged in bht removing them showed no change.

Yeah, I thought I killed my school iPad when I had to use a different USB charger (had the same specs) and it took 4 hours to charge.

IPads (if they arent mini) Wont charge on .5 Amp unless they are turned off to my knowledge..

Thats why they say "Not charging" Sometimes on chargers only giving 500mah

I am a happy wuffy

Maybe get a different cube. 

Is this a lightning connector? Or the old 30 pin?

You have to find another cable and charger to test it with. Several to be sure. Could you borrow one or buy one and return it a day later?

It's the 30-pin, however it is brand new and I've tried other cables as well, we are severely limited on the actual usb adapter that plugs in the wall.

Maybe get a different cube. 

I figured there would probably be a better choice for charger than the cube accessory, especially since it is vital that it stays charged over-night and is fully charged in the morning.

Are you sure its a genuine Apple charger?

I am a happy wuffy

If worse comes to worse and its not working goto a apple store and they will give you a new one for free.

I am a happy wuffy