Experience with Prime95

I just tried running Prime95 for 10 seconds and it got kinda scary.

First of all, I'm concerned about my H60 cooler: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/180541-bent-fins-very-concerned/

And I want to overclock. I tested it at stock speeds. Right when I pressed OK, my Corsair H60 fan went into jet mode and everything started to get all loud and Task Manager shows that my CPU is 100% utilized and RealTemp (10 seconds) shows max temps of 77C (who knew what it would be if I ran it any longer), so I exited the processes in Task Manager (it's still running when you exit the application, I knew 10 minutes ago before installing Prime95.)

Basically, I want to know your experience with Prime95. Were you worried or had any thoughts about it?

Prime95 is supposed to make your CPU run on full load - that's why it's called a stress test.

You have to manually disable the test in Prime95 for it to stop, just so you know.

I use it to stress CPU's whenever I build a computer for someone to make sure thermals on the CPU are good. If you're getting a max of 77C, I wouldn't worry about it. 77C seems good for that cooler on the 4770k. You have a little bit of room for overclocking but not too much. I wouldn't do any overclocking though.

Are you using the stock paste from the H60?

Somebody correct me here if im wrong.

But you are not suppose to run PRIME95 on Haswell CPU's as it can damage them?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Correct. Aida64 is the recommend stress test for Haswell CPUs.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Since you are running a Haswell CPU, I don't recommend running Prime95. Use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility insted

This is indeed correct.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

You have to manually disable the test in Prime95 for it to stop, just so you know.

WHAT?!

And yes, the stock paste. I have to admit, I don't know how to apply thermal paste, so I always buy coolers with them pre-applied.

I mean, I know, line method, pea method, blah blah blah but it doesn't cover the whole CPU and it's not evenly applied across the surface so I feel that some cores are gonna get hotter and etc.

I already know Prime95 will increase its stock voltage on Haswell CPU's thus, will damage it. I just installed the Intel Extreme program and I will run that.

Also, is there any guides? This is my first time (you gotta start somewhere!) and I want don't want to damage anything.

TIL

And yes, the stock paste. I have to admit, I don't know how to apply thermal paste, so I always buy coolers with them pre-applied.

I mean, I know, line method, pea method, blah blah blah but it doesn't cover the whole CPU and it's not evenly applied across the surface so I feel that some cores are gonna get hotter and etc.

If you do the pea method, it will spread over the cores evenly as it heats up. What I do is after I apply paste (and the cooler of course (and this is just what I do, I'm not saying this is the end-all way to do it)) is I stress test the CPU for about 30 minutes, then shut the system down for a few minutes, boot it back up and look at temps.

@Kloaked I can make another thread about the thermal paste.

I really want to know what you said about manually disabling Prime95. (It could be still running 0_o)

@Kloaked I can make another thread about the thermal paste.

I really want to know what you said about manually disabling Prime95. (It could be still running 0_o)

I mean, you said it was running even after you exited out. So I said you need to turn it off manually in the app before closing it out, which is what I've always done. I never tried exiting the application. If you rebooted your system, it's not going to be running on boot up, if that's what you're asking.

And you don't need to make another one. Just watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

WHAT?!

Dude, the cores are at the center of the CPU. You don't have to cover all the surface area of the CPU. Some can be left. As it won't be that hot there. The purpose of thermal paste is to transfer the heat from the cores to your Cooler. It doesn't matter if the whole cpu is covered. A bit can be left uncovered. It doesn't really matter. 

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.