Best Windows 7 skin/program for Windows 8

Anthony10
Go to solution Solved by Unhelpful,

What it comes down to is that you're trying to fix a severe usability flaw in a core part of an already unstable operating system. The last thing you need is another program to crash or develop another vulnerability. Just learn Windows 8 and get over it, or like I said, get Linux instead.

Don't comment on here if you aren't going to answer his question. He didn't ask for alternatives. And windows 8 is perfectly fine once you get what he is asking for.

... that's not what I asked...

Start8, startisback, and classic shell are all nice.

I tried classic shell and didn't like some of the implementations of it or the graphics of it, what are some nice alternatives for changing my windows 8 back to windows 7 style?

I tried classic shell and didn't like some of the implementations of it or the graphics of it, what are some nice alternatives for changing my windows 8 back to windows 7 style?

Reinstall Windows 7.

Or even better, get Linux.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Reinstall Windows 7.

Or even better, get Linux.

What it comes down to is that you're trying to fix a severe usability flaw in a core part of an already unstable operating system. The last thing you need is another program to crash or develop another vulnerability. Just learn Windows 8 and get over it, or like I said, get Linux instead.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm just going to ignore you because you are only leading this off topic. If I had a windows 7 key I would install it, but obviously I do not. I don't NEED a program to do this, I would just like one. Please respond to the question I asked in the OP or just don't respond, thank you.

Don't comment on here if you aren't going to answer his question. He didn't ask for alternatives. And windows 8 is perfectly fine once you get what he is asking for.

Which would you prefer between startisback and start8?

He's going to end up learning it anyways.You have to ask yourself at what point do I stop putting up with bullshit and start using another group's product.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Which would you prefer between startisback and start8?

I have used Start8 more than startisback, so I go for that.

He's going to end up learning it anyways.You have to ask yourself at what point do I stop putting up with bullshit and start using another group's product.

"Using another group's product."

Reinstall Windows 7.

Just either answer his question or don't comment at all.

His question was to find a skin, not for a new OS. 

Check out some of these: 

http://www.askvg.com/download-classic-shell-skin-to-get-windows-7-look-like-start-menu-and-start-button-in-windows-8/ 

http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7/

His question was to find a skin, not for a new OS. 

I realize.

Skins just add one more thing to the rickety tower of Windows.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

"Using another group's product."

Start8 isn't an OS, or am I ignorant?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I have used Start8 more than startisback, so I go for that.

Thank you I will try start 8 and if I don't like it I will try startisback.

I realize.

Skins just add one more thing to the rickety tower of Windows.

Windows 8 is absolutely fine once you get a start button, and is actually objectively better than windows 7 (performance-wise). And while Linux is great, it isn't quite there for PC. Even with WINE and increasing compatibility he is still going to struggle to play games.

Start8 isn't an OS, or am I ignorant?

I never said it is an OS.

I wouldn't call you ignorant. Just stupid.

Windows 8 is absolutely fine once you get a start button, and is actually objectively better than windows 7 (performance-wise). And while Linux is great, it isn't quite there for PC. Even with WINE and increasing compatibility he is still going to struggle to play games.

8.1 has a start button.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I wouldn't call you ignorant. Just stupid.

Stupid is worse than ignorant.

Apparently I'm the stupid one for suggesting you actually use the tools provided instead of finding you own.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

8.1 has a start button.

It also has metro though. Which is fine for some people. But not for me, and, from what he has said, not for Anthony10. So I made a suggestion.

It also has metro though. Which is fine for some people. But not for me, and, from what he has said, not for Anthony10. So I made a suggestion.

Metro is better than crashes and viruses

Exactly.

Wow, you're really an asshole, aren't you?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wow, you're really an asshole, aren't you?

Go read your posts in here. Then tell me who the asshole is.

Also I didn't suggest anything that would cause crashes or give him viruses, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

Go read your posts in here. Then tell me who the asshole is.

Also I didn't suggest anything that would cause crashes or give him viruses, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

Sketchy people who I've never met who are part of a third party...hmm yeah sounds like a good idea on a Windows machine.

Windows machines are extremely vulnerable to infection and the vulnerability increases with every app installed. Hence why I use the minimum possible to function.

Windows machines crash all the time, and having one more program running in memory 24/7/365 won't help with that. 

Justification enough?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

1. Sketchy people who you've never met who are part of a third party? And you are recommending Linux distros? Start8 is well-known and widely used.

2. Don't be a moron while browsing and you won't get viruses. I haven't had one in 5 years.

3. If your windows machine crashes it is your own fault. The OS itself is incredibly stable.

I love Linux, but desktop Linux for gaming machines isn't there yet.

You are clearly new to this.

1. Sketchy people who you've never met who are part of a third party? And you are recommending Linux distros? Start8 is well-known and widely used.

2. Don't be a moron while browsing and you won't get viruses. I haven't had one in 5 years.

3. If your windows machine crashes it is your own fault. The OS itself is incredibly stable.

You are clearly new to this.

1. It may be well known and widely used, but Linux distros are open source and Start8 isn't, dummy.

2. There are so many browser vulnerabilities. "I haven't had one in five years" is far from an adequate sample size. http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2012/2012_by_the_numbers_Kaspersky_Lab_now_detects_200000_new_malicious_programs_every_day

3. So not true, SMH. Drivers crash it all the times, and Windows crashes itself as well too. Look at how many people in the Recent Topics sidebar get BSODs and I think you'll see they aren't the fault of the user.

I'm new to this? I don't know about you, but you're in college so

1. I'm older than you

and 

2. I've been doing security AND Windows for longer.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /