No IPv4 with Ubuntu under Hyper-V

Firstly I am running Hyper-V under Windows 8 x64

My router hands out both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, with the IPv6 address being tunneled from Hurricane Electric.

Now I have installed Ubuntu Server 13.04 x64 under Hyper-V.

During the install of Ubuntu, it was able to download updates and security patches( I assume this happened through IPv6)

Now with Ubuntu installed I cannot access IPv4 addresses/ websites, including those on my LAN, but I can perfectly access and ping IPv6 Adresses (both WAN and LAN)

I have tried to modify the 

/etc/network/interfaces

file, but to no luck. I cant set either a static or a dhcp address. If I modify the interfaces file at all the network adapter is no longer detected by Ubuntu and the output from "ifconfig" displays only the "lo" loop-back adapter. 

I have attached a picture of the output of ifconfig without any changes to the interfaces file.

post-419-0-33639600-1369028436.png

I have a feeling that this issue may stem from the virtual network switch created by Hyper V.

Any insight to solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

post-419-0-33639600-1369028436.png

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You can try restarting the networking.

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
If that doesn't work then maybe its a hyperV setup problem, have you tried what is listed here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/4873e72c-0577-45b6-84ae-a066020eb31e?

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Your interfaces file under /etc/network/

should have this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Your interfaces file under /etc/network/

should have this:

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

That is exactly how the interfaces file is setup, yet Ubuntu still only receives a IPv6 address.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

That is exactly how the interfaces file is setup, yet Ubuntu still only receives a IPv6 address.

Are you using NAT or Bridged networking on the VM?

If NAT, then your VM infrastructure will handle the IP workings (not sure how Hyper-V does it, haven't used it, I do VMware)

If Bridged, then it goes straight to your router, which should be the same as the host IP workings.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Hyper V manages networks only through "Bridged" connections I believe. 

Hyper V is supposed to bridge my LAN adapter to a "virtual network switch". The VM then connects to this virtual switch.

As a side note, yes my router is sending an IPv4 address to the VM when ran in dhcp, but Ubuntu does not use this ipv4 address, only the assigned IPv6 address.

I have also tried to manually assign an IPv4 address to Ubuntu by modifying the interfaces file, but even after restarting the networking services in ubuntu, it still can only access IPv6 addresses, and the output of "ifconfig" shows that an IPv4 address is non existent.

ALthough I believe I have narrowed down my problem: V-LANs. 

Hyper V's networking configuration allows you to set which vlan that the host machine will use and a separate or same vlan for the VMs to run on.

I currently have VLANs disabled for both the host and VM, could this be the issue? And if so, which Vlan should my VM run on?