New Motherboard + CPU

Hi Guys, 

So what i need is a New Motherboard + CPU + RAM for my computer, I've just sold the motherboard and CPU, and i'm about to sell the RAM. 

What i'm looking at is the 4790K, G.SKILL Sniper 2x4GB 2133Mhz RAM, and a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC Force. 

Just want to know if i'm making a good decision or not. I have about $750 (incl. TAX/Shipping) for this upgrade. Just want to make sure i'm making the right decision. 

I have a GTX 780 on the way too. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

dude why sell your ram keep it getting a faster ram with low CL won't improve performens at all 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)

Hi Guys, 

So what i need is a New Motherboard + CPU + RAM for my computer, I've just sold the motherboard and CPU, and i'm about to sell the RAM. 

What i'm looking at is the 4790K, G.SKILL Sniper 2x4GB 2133Mhz RAM, and a GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC Force. 

Just want to know if i'm making a good decision or not. I have about $750 (incl. TAX/Shipping) for this upgrade. Just want to make sure i'm making the right decision. 

I have a GTX 780 on the way too. 

Looks good, except bump the 2133MHz Sniper kit to a 2400MHz Trident kit; price difference is negligible. 

dude why sell your ram keep it getting a faster ram with low CL won't improve performens at all 

Not accurate at all. Higher frequency, lower CAS means lower latency and more bandwidth. 

Solid.

I'd just go with a 2400mhz ram kit as the ripjaws z or trident x as above stated^. Whichever looks more appealing to you.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

RAM speed has no effect for gaming what so ever...tested this myself and so have Linus, i'd keep your current RAM op

As you can see, 800MHZ RAM would do the trick just fine for games:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Not accurate at all. Higher frequency, lower CAS means lower latency and more bandwidth. 

what you say is true it will give you bigger benchmark figers and all but in real life it hard to notice my friend has an old ddr2 ram and its smooth  you can't really see the difference 

RAM speed has no effect for gaming what so ever...tested this myself and so have Linus, i'd keep your current RAM op

As you can see, 800MHZ RAM would do the trick just fine for games

you are right 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)

As you can see, 800MHZ RAM would do the trick just fine for games:

Yeah this totally not correct (and really needs to stop), many other people have tested this as well:

Corsair BF4 Memory Benchmark:

2vnnjiq.png

2qcje5c.png

BF4 1333MHz vs 2133MHz

Testscenario:

Domination Siege of Shanghai, on the roof (see video)

Private Server 1/32 Players, "Scooby Snacks BF4 PCW/CW"http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/en/servers/show/pc/d9788992-49d3-403a-9c9d-b3f1dbce62e1/Scooby-Snacks-BF4-PCW-CW/

Video of the test scenario (short cut of the benchmark, benchmark is 180s long, video is lagging because my hard drive is not fast enough for fraps):

http://youtu.be/GGUlkTA-JII

For every RAM 2 runs.

hs5d11.png

Conclusion

• Less framedrops or less incursions
  • FPS increase 58%, RAM MHz increase 60%
  • -> in CPU-limited situation the fps increase is nearly the same as the ram MHz increase
Here are a few of my results...

System:
- 3930K @ 4.5Ghz (usually 4.8)
- Rampage 4 Extreme
- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3 2133 9-11-10-27
- EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ 1326/7460
- Samsung 830 256GB SSD (OS/Sys/Apps)
- WD Blue 320GB (Music/Video)
- HGST 7K500 320GB (Apps)
- WD RE3 1TB (Games)
- Creative Titanium HD
- LG/Hitachi Slim DVD-R/W
- NZXT HALE90 850W PSU
- TRIPP-LITE ISO-BAR-4 ULTRA Line Conditioner/Surge Suppressor/Voltage Regulator

I used the above system for the below tests, with all clocks identical with just the RAM changing. The system is watercooled so no drops in Kepler Boost or anything like that.

*TESTS*

(RAM SPEED + TIMINGS - AVERAGE FPS - MINIMUM FPS - MAXIMUM FPS)
All tests done in 1080p using a Dell P2212Hb connected via DL-DVI-D, all game settings set at maximum unless otherwise noted.

HALF-LIFE 2 EPISODE 2 (CPU @ 3.4Ghz, GPU @ Stock FTW Speeds)
1600 6-7-7-19 - 198.5 - 131.8 - 233
1600 9-9-9-24 - 191.3 - 124.9 - 219
1866 8-8-8-24 - 204.1 - 137.7 - 242
2133 9-11-10-27 - 217 - 147.1 - 259
2133 9-10-9-26 - 226 - 154.3 - 266
2360 9-12-10-29 - 231 - 159.7 - 283

Half-Life 2 and it's countless derivatives (mods, etc) all seem to be CPU Bound at this point, as I see a perfectly linear relationship between a CPU's speed and FPS.

FAR CRY 3 (CPU @ 4.5Ghz, GPU @ 1326/7460)
1600 6-7-7-19 - 52.2 - 26.1 - 93
1600 9-9-9-24 - 50.8 - 24 - 86
1866 8-8-8-24 - 54.1 - 27.9 - 96
2133 9-11-10-27 - 57.4 - 31.1 - 105
2133 9-10-9-26 - 58.7 - 33 - 107
2360 9-12-10-29 - 60.2 - 35.5 - 108

The biggest thing with FC3 is the increase in smoothness. The slower memory feels choppy at times, such as when you get into a firefight. The faster memory never has this problem. Also, with 2133 and above, I get zero texture "pop in", yet it's present with lower memory speeds.

I did recordings of 9 games, 11 benchmarks, and timed start up/shutdown/opening (Firefox with 25tabs/Photoshop/Paint.Net/Chrome with 25tabs,and a half dozen other things), and a few other things.

There is not a single instance in which the 1600 9-9-9-24 didn't come in dead last. The differences ranged from "benchmark-noticeable" to "Wow that's a huge improvement".

I simply don't recommend getting 1600 when the option for faster memory is there, especially if you have an IVB platform. The tests above are X79, and I have done the same tests on a 3770K + GA-Z77X-UP7, 3770K + Maximus 5 Extreme, 3570K + Extreme6 (for Ivy), a 2700K + Maximus 4 Extreme-Z, 2600K + G3.Sniper3, 2500K + Extreme9 (for Sandy), a Phenom II X4 980BE + ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty, 1100T + Crosshair V Formula-Z, 960T + 990FX Sabertooth R2.0, 1090 + M5A99X, 965BE + Gigabyte 990FX UD5(UD7, can't remember), and 8350 + Crosshair V Formula, 8130 + Sabertooth, 6100 + Extreme6, 4100 + Extreme3.

These have been over the course of 16mo, and variables change, not all systems had all tests run (most only had 2-3 games and a few benchmarks), and it's not a controlled experiment. Still, the results are only compared against the results from the same system, so they are perfectly valid.

Every single system wanted the fastest memory possible, although the Phenom II systems had to be controlled for timings by ensuring that the actual latency in ns was better than the prior test (which means most of the Phenom II tests are more about timings for a given speed than speed itself, although 1800 7-8-7-26 was always the fastest, beating 1600 6-7-6-19 by 9.3% on average).

what you say is true it will give you bigger benchmark figers and all but in real life it hard to notice my friend has an old ddr2 ram and its smooth  you can't really see the difference 

It's very easy to notice, you can definitely see the difference.

q

It makes a difference in CPU bound games, but not to enough of an extent to go and spend a zillion dollars more on a faster kit of ram IMO.

If money isn't an issue, I see no problem spending extra on ram :D

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It makes a difference in CPU bound games, but not to enough of an extent to go and spend a zillion dollars more on a faster kit of ram IMO.

If money isn't an issue, I see no problem spending extra on ram :D

Exactly my point, and 2400MHz memory is not expensive at all now. 

I dont think you need to upgrade anything, your current system is already plenty strong and should last for a long time.  The earliest I would even consider upgrading is when Skylake comes out and DDR4 is the new standard.  Any upgrades before then and you are spending tons of money for minimal gains.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Yeah this totally not correct (and really needs to stop), many other people have tested this as well:

STOP about the ram speed making a HUGE difference in video games man you have to just stop if you don't believe LINUS results this has been proved so many times already RAM SPEED HAS LITTLE TO NO EFFECT ON GAMING we are talking at MAX 1 or 2 FPS here i could link you ZILLIONS of benchmarks that shows just that!! and i even tested this myself last week and 800MHZ VS 1866MHZ makes ZERO FPS difference in games...SO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

STOP about the ram speed making a HUGE difference in video games man you have to just stop if you don't believe LINUS results this has been proved so many times already RAM SPEED HAS LITTLE TO NO EFFECT ON GAMING we are talking at MAX 1 or 2 FPS here i could link you ZILLIONS of benchmarks that shows just that!! and i even tested this myself last week and 800MHZ VS 1866MHZ makes ZERO FPS difference in games...SO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so incredibly wrong on this, I just posted you numerous benchmarks that proves you and Linus' outdated test wrong. You actually think your terrible test you did yourself is at all verifiable or accurate? You are biased and have no idea what you are doing. Linus' test is outdated and doesn't apply to today anymore.

The fact that you believe it has zero effect on FPS in CPU intensive games just proves you are a drone. Continuing on spreading misinformation like the drone that you are. Just look at the benchmarks I posted, end of discussion. Made by people with zero agenda whatsoever, simply trying to discover whether or not its true that memory speed has no effect on gaming fps. Instead of someone like you going into a test trying to replicate results of another test. Trying to find the facts to support your opinions, instead of changing your opinions to fit the facts.

All GPU bound games.

look man, i run an overclocked core i7-4770K...for me they are pretty much ALL GPU bound games...and should they be for you and for everybody as well...if you need to scratch out all the speed possible out of some poor DDR3 dimms to get your game running like they should then that means you should just upgrade your poor cpu to something faster...and BTW you must not have any knowledge about how computer works to defend those facts cause man even the fastest haswell CPU would be feeded to the the top with 1333mhz RAM in EVERY GAMES...that's not how things works...faster memory won't change anything for gaming even in CPU bound games...the CPU bounds games are CPU bound because the CPU isnt fast enough to cope...not the memory...NEVER did i heard of MEMORY BOUND games did you?! pfff...

look man, i run an overclocked core i7-4770K...for me they are pretty much ALL GPU bound games...and should they be for you and for everybody as well...if you need to scratch out all the speed possible out of some poor DDR3 dimms to get your game running like they should then that means you should just upgrade your poor cpu to something faster...and BTW you must not have any knowledge about how computer works to defend those facts cause man even the fastest haswell CPU would be feeded to the the top with 1333mhz RAM in EVERY GAMES...that's not how things works...faster memory won't change anything for gaming even in CPU bound games...the CPU bounds games are CPU bound because the CPU isnt fast enough to cope...not the memory...NEVER did i heard of MEMORY BOUND games did you?! pfff...

Yes because all those benchmarks in CPU intensive games are a lie... "but it's not how it works"   :rolleyes:

<p>

Corsair BF4 Memory Benchmark:

2vnnjiq.png

2qcje5c.png

BF4 1333MHz vs 2133MHz

Testscenario:

Domination Siege of Shanghai, on the roof (see video)

Private Server 1/32 Players, "Scooby Snacks BF4 PCW/CW"http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/en/servers/show/pc/d9788992-49d3-403a-9c9d-b3f1dbce62e1/Scooby-Snacks-BF4-PCW-CW/

Video of the test scenario (short cut of the benchmark, benchmark is 180s long, video is lagging because my hard drive is not fast enough for fraps):

http://youtu.be/GGUlkTA-JII

For every RAM 2 runs.

hs5d11.png

Conclusion

• Less framedrops or less incursions
  • FPS increase 58%, RAM MHz increase 60%
  • -> in CPU-limited situation the fps increase is nearly the same as the ram MHz increase

It's very easy to notice, you can definitely see the difference.

The only time you can see the difference in perfrormance is when you are using integrated graphics for gaming. This was probably tested with an APU. If you are using a dedicated graphics processor (GPU) the difference is really really small, not noticable in real world.

The only time you can see the difference in perfrormance is when you are using integrated graphics for gaming. This was probably tested with an APU. If you are using a dedicated graphics processor (GPU) the difference is really really small, not noticable in real world.

exactly, this has been proven numerous times over and over again in the past few years, google is you friend.

I mean, over a 50FPS difference using 2133mhz vs 1333mhz RAM?! yeah sure! hahaha :D

Except it wasn't tested with an APU, it was tested with a 7950 and the differences are very noticeable in the real world as you can see by the benchmarks that don't lie.

exactly, this has been proven numerous times over and over again in the past few years, google is you friend.

I mean, over a 50FPS difference using 2133mhz vs 1333mhz RAM?! yeah sure! hahaha :D

They are outdated tests that are irrelevant for modern CPU intensive games, so Google is not your friend. 

Facts don't lie. Change your opinions to fit the facts, not find the facts to verify your opinions.

Except it wasn't tested with an APU, it was tested with a 7950 and the differences are very noticeable in the real world as you can see by the benchmarks that don't lie.

They are outdated tests that are irrelevant for modern CPU intensive games, so Google is not your friend. 

Facts don't lie. Change your opinions to fit the facts, not find the facts to verify your opinions.

ok i'm wasting my time you're a lost cause if you think that RAM can have such an impact on games then i'm done with you clearly you don't know much and you're out of your mind, peace out! ;)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/9

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/8

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/9

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/upgrades/performance-pc-memory-is-it-worth-upgrading--1208324

Want some more? GOOGLE it's full...as long as it's not sponsored by CORSAIR wich sells high speed gaming RAM you will quickly realise that RAM speed won't matter for gaming anymore, 800MHZ would be plenty!

ok i'm wasting my time you're a lost cause if you think that RAM can have such an impact on games then i'm done with you clearly you don't know much and you're out of your mind, peace out! ;)

Should I post what he PM'ed me?

Dude is extremely mad, 30 sentences full of rage with shitload of insults/swearing. 

5WHWh62.png

r2qD0Zn.png

Timings were exactly the same, there was only a 20% difference between 800 & 1600MHz. Who uses DDR2 these days, going above 1600MHz you're sacrificing timings for it which rather starts to equal the performance.

He shows us a graph frames going above 200 fps when BF4 has a fps cap of 200FPS. He posts some WoW gpu bound benchmark and thinks the 2500K at 4.4GHz doesnt bottleneck whatever card in 25m raids LOL.

ok i'm wasting my time you're a lost cause if you think that RAM can have such an impact on games then i'm done with you clearly you don't know much and you're out of your mind, peace out!  ;)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2013/11/27/battlefield-4-performance-analysis/9

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/8

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/9

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/upgrades/performance-pc-memory-is-it-worth-upgrading--1208324

Want some more? GOOGLE it's full...as long as it's not sponsored by CORSAIR wich sells high speed gaming RAM you will quickly realise that RAM speed won't matter for gaming anymore, 800MHZ would be plenty!

You're a lost cause, you use benchmarks that are irrelevant when I post benchmarks that disprove everything you say. Another stupid drone on this forum 800MHz memory, plenty, how uninformed can you possibly be. Do you even understand Cas Latency or Frequency?

Should I post what he PM'ed me?

Dude is extremely mad, 30 sentences full of rage with shitload of insults/swearing. 

5WHWh62.png

r2qD0Zn.png

Timings were exactly the same, there was only a 20% difference between 800 & 1600MHz. Who uses DDR2 these days, going above 1600MHz you're sacrificing timings for it which rather starts to equal the performance.

He shows us a graph frames going above 200 fps when BF4 has a fps cap of 200FPS. He posts some WoW gpu bound benchmark and thinks the 2500K at 4.4GHz doesnt bottleneck whatever card in 25m raids LOL.

Then you post a benchmark that proves faster memory makes a difference, brilliance here. Almost 10 fps difference, lmao, how moronic can you get. And the difference would be even greater if you were using faster memory. LMAO. Fail.