Laptop HDD dying, cant clone..

Dani360c

Hello :)

So my Laptop HDD was beginning to be slow and recently windows warned me its was dying, so i went on to buy a new one, ended up with a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD. 
Since nothing important that wasn't backed up on my desktop was remaining on the laptop I first tried to just throw in the new one, put in the Windows 8 CD and just install a fresh one.

I tried with the key from the laptops OS and i didn't work, and since i didn't have a USB adapter for the SSD i couldn't clone so i plugged both into the desktop and tried to clone, didn't work..
at this point i factory reset the old HDD to make it somewhat easier.
went on to buy the USB adapter for the SSD, it arrived, tried to clone with Samsung data migration, it came with this error every time: [cloning failed, target disk has been disconnected -00001 ]

Tried Aomei Partition Assistant, at almost done it came with an error and just stopped.
Do anybody have an idea of how i can get windows on the SSD, last resort is to buy a new license, but preferably using the one from the laptop.
Any help is much Appreciated  :) 

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

Now is the key on the laptop for Windows 7 or 8...?

8 :)

The CD is for 8.1 and the laptop has 8.

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

8 :)

Huh.. I know you can call Microsoft because they usually sort this out but that means you do have to deal with Microsoft...

IMO, USB adapters are shaky at best and don't always work.

Huh.. I know you can call Microsoft because they usually sort this out but that means you do have to deal with Microsoft...

IMO, USB adapters are shaky at best and don't always work.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid that :)

starting to get that opinion aswell.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid that :)

starting to get that opinion aswell.

You can throw the ssd in your desktop and try to install Windows with the key on it there.

Doubtful it'll work but you never know.

If you're using the licence key on the Windows 8 Sticker on your laptop, then that Key is specifically for the manufacturer's OEM. Let's say you had a Dell Laptop, then you would need to install the Dell OEM Version for that key to work! Therefore, a normal, non-OEM version will not work!

Hope this has cleared things up a little!

If you're using the licence key on the Windows 8 Sticker on your laptop, then that Key is specifically for the manufacturer's OEM. Let's say you had a Dell Laptop, then you would need to install the Dell OEM Version for that key to work! Therefore, a normal, non-OEM version will not work!

cleared it up!

could i use the OEM key from my desktop?

cleared it up!

could i use the OEM key from my desktop?

If you've installed a Non-OEM Version of Windows 8 (like a version straight from Microsoft) then you'll need a Non-OEM Key. OEM Keys (so if you had an Alienware PC for example), you wouldn't be able to use that key to activate a Non-OEM Version of 8 - only the OEM Version!

What laptop do you have?

a bit confused about OEM/non-OEMs :D 
An MSI GE60,
just installed windows 8.1 on the laptop with the same CD and KEY as my desktop, i wouldn't be able to activate it right?

Samsung data migration only works on 30% of the pcs. use another programm, it didnt work for me too

Read this,  http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7s-own-software     

It should be similar process since your using windows 8

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

If it works, let us know. Helps us for future cases :D 

And if not, ill try to assist more. 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

I got Windows 8.1 installed now, but that is from the cd and key that i bought for my Desktop, so i cant activate it, but it is only a secondary pc now.

If i get limited by it or just get tired off it i will defently try it, but i need it in a few days so dont want to mess anymore with it :)

Okey, Well what i did when changing from my old HDD to my new HDD. I just installed my new HDD and took my old one out and booted from my USB and installed it on the new HDD. then i pluged both in and took the files i wanted.

Similarly you can try this.  Either back up your data or leave it on your HDD.

Install the SSD on your MB then install windows. Once you booted to it and it works, install the HDD and boot to SSD. and then copy your data over like images and dumb stuff that you most probs dont need lol. or use system restore and restore your backed up data.

I got Windows 8.1 installed now, but that is from the cd and key that i bought for my Desktop, so i cant activate it, but it is only a secondary pc now.

If i get limited by it or just get tired off it i will defently try it, but i need it in a few days so dont want to mess anymore with it :)

It does work. I have reinstalled Windows 7 several times on my Acer desktops with Microsoft's official ISOs without any issues. And I reinstalled Windows 8 on my HP laptop also using an official MS ISO.

Another thing: Windows 8 keys don't work when installing 8.1

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

• 3 weeks later...

Got somethings to work, installed Win 8.1 with CD and used the already used key from my desktop onto the SSD, a couple of days later i tried to change the used key to the win 8 key originally from my laptop, and it worked.

Windows is Activated and i didn't have to call Microsoft at all. :D