Actual Minimum Requirements for Win 8?

Benjio

I have a customer who wants to install Win 8 on an old XP computer (don't ask me why, I tried to talk him out of it). It has a Athlon 3000+ 1.8 GHz cpu and 1.5 GB of RAM. On Microsoft's website they say that the minimum RAM requirement is 2 GB. I assume that's actually just the recommended amount though? Or will I run into issues trying to install with less than 2? 

Another question: How will driver support be? It's a custom built PC from a local company, so I'm a little worried that I won't be able to find some of them.

It will work, but it won't be really fast. A fresh install of XP might speed it up more than installing Win8.

Fun fact: I've installed Windows 7 on a handheld Win XP PC from 2006, it had 512mb of RAM. So you should be fine with that PC and Windows 8 (uses less RAM than Windows 7).

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

It will work, but it won't be really fast. A fresh install of XP might speed it up more than installing Win8.

Fun fact: I've installed Windows 7 on a handheld Win XP PC from 2006, it had 512mb of RAM. So you should be fine with that PC and Windows 8 (uses less RAM than Windows 7).

He wants to upgrade because XP no longer gets security patches from Microsoft. I figured it would definitely be possible, but wasn't sure whether or not Microsoft would have some stupid restriction that would stop me due to whatever they deem are the "minimum requirements".

I believe in Windows 8 it requires the CPU to support a certain instruction set, I can't recall which one, but if your CPU doesn't support it then it may not install. Even if it does install the experience is going to be terrible simply because most mordern applications require more CPU and RAM than what that computer has to offer. Firefox and Chrome can easily take up 512 MB RAM barely doing anything and easily take up to 1 GB with 3-5 tabs open. Trying to run software made in 2014 on a CPU from 2003 probably isn't the best idea. Just buy a $400-$600 prebuilt computer off the shelf and you'll be much better off.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Benjio,I find upgrading an OS without upgrading some of the hardware usually leads to more frustration with speed and compatibility. Does the motherboard even have PCIe gen 2 slots? If it's mostly for word processing and browsing, why not upgrade him to vista while he can save up money to get a proper computer? I'm sure there are a LOT of vista licenses floating around not being used.

When upgrading, people always blame the OS for issues before they blame their hardware, and that's really not fair. "It's only 5+ years old". Is not a good rebuttal on their part. If you're in IT, your job isn't just to do what the customer wants, or see if it fits, it should be upselling (to a moral point) and letting them know all their options... new devices that would improve their overall experience, which will make them happier with you, even if they're not happy with the inital cost. Use words like futureproofness, upgradeability, in the longterm/long run... and for his hardware use obsolete, outdated, slow, etc...

edit: you could recommend upgrading to a barebones system, use his current harddrive, optical drives, maybe even case and monitor, just upgrade his motherboard, processor and ram. He can then upgrade the other parts slowly if he's a little cheap. I like intels integrated graphics for most business/typical usage.

He can then use his older system as a firewall, mail server, or fileserver if his business has a need for it.

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Benjio,I find upgrading an OS without upgrading some of the hardware usually leads to more frustration with speed and compatibility. Does the motherboard even have PCIe gen 2 slots? If it's mostly for word processing and browsing, why not upgrade him to vista while he can save up money to get a proper computer? I'm sure there are a LOT of vista licenses floating around not being used.

When upgrading, people always blame the OS for issues before they blame their hardware, and that's really not fair. "It's only 5+ years old". Is not a good rebuttal on their part. If you're in IT, your job isn't just to do what the customer wants, or see if it fits, it should be upselling (to a moral point) and letting them know all their options... new devices that would improve their overall experience, which will make them happier with you, even if they're not happy with the inital cost. Use words like futureproofness, upgradeability, in the longterm/long run... and for his hardware use obsolete, outdated, slow, etc...

edit: you could recommend upgrading to a barebones system, use his current harddrive, optical drives, maybe even case and monitor, just upgrade his motherboard, processor and ram. He can then upgrade the other parts slowly if he's a little cheap. I like intels integrated graphics for most business/typical usage.

He can then use his older system as a firewall, mail server, or fileserver if his business has a need for it.

Vista would be even worse performance wise. Get him a lightweight Linux like Puppy or Darn Small or Arch.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I managed to convince him to purchase a new computer. He was just using it for web browsing and ms office, he was just worried about security bugs in xp. But yeah, I totally agree with your point.

Vista would be even worse performance wise. Get him a lightweight Linux like Puppy or Darn Small or Arch.

That doesn't go over well with people who aren't tech savvy. People freak out if there is something they aren't used to (especially if they can't use their same programs).