Upgrading Laptop to SSD

Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,

That is paid software, I assume I can do everything I need in the trial? 

Acronis 30 day trial on their website works for this.

However most of the SSD/Hard Drive manufacturers have the True Image software as a full free download from their website, and many times they are not locked down versions, so they work with whatever brand you are using.

Adata, WD, Crucial, Seagate, and many many more have this software for free available to download.

I tried posting the link of the Crucial download, but apparently they are down for maintenance. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-laptop-kit  Click on "Cloning using Acronis True Image HD" at the bottom, it's down :(

You can use the trial version from the Acronis website, or use one from another manufacturer, as I recall the Acronis True Image HD version Adate provides does work with other brands.

Adata Acronis True Image HD Link http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=ss_main&page=ss_software_5

I ordered a thinkpad x240 configured with an HDD instead of an SSD because for the price they would charge for the SSD.. (~$200) for 120gb.. I could get 512gb.  

I'm thinking of getting this 512gb SSD http://amazon.com/dp/B00KFAGCUM/ 

The laptop will be right from the factory so I don't have to worry about losing data... So I don't need to clone the drive...

Do you guys have any suggestions on ways to go about doing this upgrade? I did look for some guides for they are all clone the drive to save yo datas.... but I don't have any data to save..

On a side note .. I'm taking out the 500gb HDD and turning it into a small external HDD with this http://amazon.com/dp/B00DW374W4

Just pop it in and reinstall windows

Did you want to leave the HDD in or take it out?

If you need a good enclusire let me know I just found a decent one for a friend.

You should still clone the partition to have the os and the necessary drivers already installed. Then just take the ssd and slap it in, easy as pie.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You should still clone the partition to have the os and the necessary drivers already installed. Then just take the ssd and slap it in, easy as pie.

There is very likely newer drivers already and you would then not have any crapware if you clean installed

Just boot it up from the hdd and get the Windows install key using ProduKey or ProductKeyFinder, then shut the laptop down, take out batt. and swap drives, download the Windows ISO using the key and burn it to a DVD or USB, boot from it and install Windows.

just get it off the bottom of the laptop

Sorry for taking so long to reply.. I kind of ate lunch =P

Just pop it in and reinstall windows

That was my plan, I just wasn't sure if it worked exactly like that with laptops. 

Did you want to leave the HDD in or take it out?

There is only 1 2.5in bay in the laptop.. it does have like 3 m2 slots though O.o crazy stuff

If you need a good enclusire let me know I just found a decent one for a friend.

Is the one I linked not a good one? I do need one.. I haven't bought the one I linked up above yet.

I don't even think I have an easy way to plug in my ssd to my computer to do that.. and I don't know what software to use anyways... I feel like a clean install would be good as well to avoid the bloatware 

Just boot it up from the hdd and get the Windows install key using ProduKey or ProductKeyFinder, then shut the laptop down, take out batt. and swap drives, download the Windows ISO using the key and burn it to a DVD or USB, boot from it and install Windows.

That was my plan, I have a 64gb flashdrive to use =P

There is very likely newer drivers already and you would then not have any crapware if you clean installed

just get it off the bottom of the laptop

I don't think the code is actually on the bottom of the laptop for this one.. but I'll know when I get it on the 17th. 

Just hook both drives to a desktop PC and transfer all the data on the hard drive to the SSD with Acronis software.

Just hook both drives to a desktop PC and transfer all the data on the hard drive to the SSD with Acronis software.

Thanks for not reading

I don't have any data TO transfer the laptop will be brand new..  

I don't think I have a way to really connect it to my computer anyways without it being a pain in the ass..

Thanks for not reading

I don't have any data TO transfer the laptop will be brand new..  

I don't think I have a way to really connect it to my computer anyways without it being a pain in the ass..

It comes with data, what do you think your OS is? What about the installed apps on it?, sometimes the OEM versions of Windows in notebooks are a pain in the ass to re install and activate again. You can just go to the Microsoft website, download the same version of windows and try re-typing in the key that is on the sticker, but again, sometimes there is even trouble doing that.

What I said on my previous comment releases you of all the hassle that windows keys come with, you also save yourself the trouble of finding and installing all the drivers again, not to mention, that you will loose all the apps the notebook come with (they bring sometimes paid versions of programs that can be pretty useful).

If you have access to a desktop PC, even a old XP one, just grab a pair of Sata cables and be done, you can even borrow the ones from the optical drive. The utility software that allows you the easy cloning of a HDD to SSD are free and easy to use.

It comes with data, what do you think your OS is? What about the installed apps on it?, sometimes the OEM versions of Windows in notebooks are a pain in the ass to re install and activate again. You can just go to the Microsoft website, download the same version of windows and try re-typing in the key that is on the sticker, but again, sometimes there is even trouble doing that.

What I said on my previous comment releases you of all the hassle that windows keys come with, you also save yourself the trouble of finding and installing all the drivers again, not to mention, that you will loose all the apps the notebook come with (they bring sometimes paid versions of programs that can be pretty useful).

If you have access to a desktop PC, even a old XP one, just grab a pair of Sata cables and be done, you can even borrow the ones from the optical drive. The utility software that allows you the easy cloning of a HDD to SSD are free and easy to use.

Eh then what clone software would you suggest that is free?

The way I am doing this I can always go back and clone the HDD if it doesn't work out. 

Eh then what clone software would you suggest that is free?

The way I am doing this I can always go back and clone the HDD if it doesn't work out. 

Acronis True Image HD

Acronis True Image HD

However most of the SSD/Hard Drive manufacturers have the True Image software as a full free download from their website, and many times they are not locked down versions, so they work with whatever brand you are using.

Adata, WD, Crucial, Seagate, and many many more have this software for free available to download.

I tried posting the link of the Crucial download, but apparently they are down for maintenance. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-laptop-kit  Click on "Cloning using Acronis True Image HD" at the bottom, it's down :(

You can use the trial version from the Acronis website, or use one from another manufacturer, as I recall the Acronis True Image HD version Adate provides does work with other brands.

Adata Acronis True Image HD Link http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=ss_main&page=ss_software_5

True, but sometimes proprietary notebook drivers are hard to fetch with fresh installs and if you already have them they can update themselves.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't even think I have an easy way to plug in my ssd to my computer to do that.. and I don't know what software to use anyways... I feel like a clean install would be good as well to avoid the bloatware 

You can use any free partitioning tool, that's not a problem, but if you are fine with a clean install, just pop the drive in and you're done!

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hmm well hopefully that will be fixed by the 17th when I get my laptop..

My desktop has plenty of sata ports I was just being lazy =P

True, but sometimes proprietary notebook drivers are hard to fetch with fresh installs and if you already have them they can update themselves.

You can use any free partitioning tool, that's not a problem, but if you are fine with a clean install, just pop the drive in and you're done!

I think I'll try out the one on Crucial's page once the website is back up.

Windows 8 keys are no longer on the bottom, new bullshit security feature.

I think it makes them look tacky anyways.

Partition Wizard is FREE and does exactly what you need.

*^For future reference.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Partition Wizard is FREE and does exactly what you need.

*^For future reference.

I actually get a full licence of Acronis with the MX100.. but if I didn't...