Lenovo Y50 4K screen

PassTheNachos

Hi, I'm kinda new here, so forgive me for opening a new thread just to ask this one question. Is the screen of the Lenovo Y50 4K model IPS or TN? I've searched other threads for the answer but couldn't find a general consensus among the commenters regarding the particular 4K screen. I've been wanting to get the Y50 for some time now and have read reviews and majority of the reviewers said the screen is pretty bad. Anyone here with a Y50 can confirm that? 

Pretty sure its the same ips panel as on the msi apache pro ge60

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Hi, I'm kinda new here, so forgive me for opening a new thread just to ask this one question. Is the screen of the Lenovo Y50 4K model IPS or TN? I've searched other threads for the answer but couldn't find a general consensus among the commenters regarding the particular 4K screen. I've been wanting to get the Y50 for some time now and have read reviews and majority of the reviewers said the screen is pretty bad. Anyone here with a Y50 can confirm that? 

i was looking at it yesterday the y50 touch has a tn panel so im not quite sure what the uhd model has

Lenovo Y50-70 Touch

I7-4700

GTX-860M 2gb

i was looking at it yesterday the y50 touch has a tn panel so im not quite sure what the uhd model has

Looking some more on some other forums it seems the Y50 UHD uses a 48Hz IPS panel. Not 100% positive, though.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Looking some more on some other forums it seems the Y50 UHD uses a 48Hz IPS panel. Not 100% positive, though.

Oh thanks for answering. Is it considerably better than the TN panel used in the normal version?

Oh thanks for answering. Is it considerably better than the TN panel used in the normal version?

IPS will always be better than TN. Especially a with a 4K IPS, it's no competiton. Only drawback is the 48Hz will be less than ideal if you're a competitive gamer, but I highly doubt you'll even be able to play at that refresh rate at 4k.

xoxo samantha <3

IPS will always be better than TN. Especially a with a 4K IPS, it's no competiton. Only drawback is the 48Hz will be less than ideal if you're a competitive gamer, but I highly doubt you'll even be able to play at that refresh rate at 4k.

I appreciate the help. I have one last question, is it fine if I play games at non-native resolutive like 900p to decrease the workload on my GPU? Will I get good framerates on this machine?

I appreciate the help. I have one last question, is it fine if I play games at non-native resolutive like 900p to decrease the workload on my GPU? Will I get good framerates on this machine?

As far as I understand it people haven't found out yet whether or not the screen can't physically do more than 48Hz or if it is just software locked. It is for sure software locked at 48Hz even at lower resolutions (and I would suggest going with 1080p and not 900p because of better scaling). Essentially meaning that even at 1080p you will not be able to have the screen display more than 48 frames a second. It is seems to be an issue with intel's Optimus technology, and on the Y50 you can not disable Optimus from the Bios.

The GPU can pump out more frames in games but the screen will not be able to keep up.  

http://www.toshiba.com/us/p50t please. If the display and audio is as good as my A500, it will be amazing. 4K IGZO display.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ