AMD Athlon II X4 760k idle at 55C under load at 70C+ normal?

Needalight
Go to solution Solved by Elite14,

I have the exact same motherboard and cpu with a coolermaster hyper 212 plus and I get 55c( which I think is normal) at idle with a room temp of 28c. AMD just run hot, and the mobo doesn't help with that, its a bad mobo, low quality and it was made to use a dual core cpu not a quad core. not to mention I have to put it in energy saving mode to keep it from turning off randomly. So if you need any help just ask sense I have the same setup as your brother and ill do my best to help :)

post-26373-0-99727400-1404954024_thumb.j

AMD Over Drive tells me 56 degrees Celcius

Speccy and HWmonitor are both the same and without much load is at 68 degrees, you can see if what you are saying ot true, then you would cross out HWmonitor and Speccy and leave the AMD program which says even better.

Funny how with Speccy and HWmonitor rise, AMD OVer Drive lowers, and when AMD Over Drive rises, Speccy and HWmonitor lower.

My brother was getting lower temps with AMD OVERDRIVE compared to the temps that were showing on HW MONITOR after the IT tech reinstalled the EVO 212. I think HWMonitor and the Richland are no good. I also hear a lot of talk about Overdrive being inaccurate. The only way to test your pc is to play games. Lower the settings a bit, play for a few hours, and if no shut downs occur then you are fine. Put your hand over your pc vent and if you dont feel hot air coming out, then the temps should be fine. 

Here is how my set up of the 212 looks like. 

Note: I dont have any issues with this system at all. Its my brothers system I was talking about on the post. Also, im not expert at any of this...im just suggesting what works for me. Id like to help, even if its a bit. 

So the air is being pushed out from the top of the case. 

Assuming your intake is coming from the right it would make sense to orient it 90° to either side this way the air can blow through the path of least resistance and have more surface area to make contact with. I bet the massive heat pipes of the hyper 212 are impeding air from moving through the fin stacks. Also your fans could stand to be at a higher RPM.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

My brother was getting lower temps with AMD OVERDRIVE compared to the temps that were showing on HW MONITOR after the IT tech reinstalled the EVO 212. I think HWMonitor and the Richland are no good. I also hear a lot of talk about Overdrive being inaccurate. The only way to test your pc is to play games. Lower the settings a bit, play for a few hours, and if no shut downs occur then you are fine. Put your hand over your pc vent and if you dont feel hot air coming out, then the temps should be fine. 

K, and the Bios was at like 39 degrees celcius actually, that's crazy!

Assuming your intake is coming from the right it would make sense to orient it 90° to either side this way the air can blow through the path of least resistance and have more surface area to make contact with. I bet the massive heat pipes of the hyper 212 are impeding air from moving through the fin stacks. Also your fans could stand to be at a higher RPM.

Been running like this for a few months now without any over heating. :3 I was just showing him what was working for me on my main build. My brothers were having issues on their personal pc. That was what the main post was about. 

My bro was running a Richland 760k that was overheating and im running an FX6300, completely different systems :)

K, and the Bios was at like 39 degrees celcius actually, that's crazy!

The temps in the BIOS are way more accurate. If thats your idle, then thats not bad at all!

Oh, well still the orientation of the heat sink matters. If he doesn't have top exhaust and his heat sink was like that it would help him. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

Been running like this for a few months now without any over heating. :3 I was just showing him what was working for me on my main build. My brothers were having issues on their personal pc. That was what the main post was about. 

Hes running a Richland 760k and im running an FX6300, completely different systems :)

Yeah, for me I just aimed the CPU cooler at the Case fans that I flipped and not it guide the CPU's heat out of the case. Only thing I feel heating up a bit on the case is the Power supply and it's not even that much.

Oh, well still the orientation of the heat sink matters. If he doesn't have top exhaust and his heat sink was like that it would help him. 

Im going to run Prime95 for 20 minutes and if I have problems, ill turn my heatsink! 

Stress test on all 6 cores for 20 minutes at 100% load. 

Looks like I survived overheating by a ton. Ill run it tomorrow for 2 hours. 

post-101369-0-47748300-1404941361_thumb.

post-101369-0-47748300-1404941361_thumb.

Im going to run Prime95 for 20 minutes and if I have problems, ill turn my heatsink! 

You could've just done a 20min stress test using both orientations to test out whether or not one orientation works better than the other.

I have the exact same motherboard and cpu with a coolermaster hyper 212 plus and I get 55c( which I think is normal) at idle with a room temp of 28c. AMD just run hot, and the mobo doesn't help with that, its a bad mobo, low quality and it was made to use a dual core cpu not a quad core. not to mention I have to put it in energy saving mode to keep it from turning off randomly. So if you need any help just ask sense I have the same setup as your brother and ill do my best to help :)

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

I think the problem is solved. After the IT tech reinstalled their COOLER, everything is working great. Temperatures are still a little high, like yours..but Im just going to blame that on the crap mother board. They can now play games for hours without any shut downs.

I think the problem is solved. After the IT tech reinstalled their COOLER, everything is working great. Temperatures are still a little high, like yours..but Im just going to blame that on the crap mother board. They can now play games for hours without any shut downs.

Good to hear it

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.