AMD Athlon II X4 760k idle at 55C under load at 70C+ normal?

Needalight
Go to solution Solved by Elite14,

I have the exact same motherboard and cpu with a coolermaster hyper 212 plus and I get 55c( which I think is normal) at idle with a room temp of 28c. AMD just run hot, and the mobo doesn't help with that, its a bad mobo, low quality and it was made to use a dual core cpu not a quad core. not to mention I have to put it in energy saving mode to keep it from turning off randomly. So if you need any help just ask sense I have the same setup as your brother and ill do my best to help :)

post-26373-0-99727400-1404954024_thumb.j

post-26373-0-99727400-1404954024_thumb.j

So I just setup a new build with an MSI FM2-A55-E33 motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 760k cpu for my brothers and we were getting really high temperature readings with the stock cooler. The computer would also shut off when it reached higher than 70c. I immediately bought them a new cooler (Hyper Evo212) and a friend of mine installed it (i live 2000mi away) and the computer would reach high temps again and shut off. I thought maybe he installed it wrong so I made the decision to call an IT tech who specializes in this types of things. He reinstalled the 212 with higher quality paste and when the computer was turned on again, the temps were a little lower but still not normal. The computer was showing idle temps in the high 50s and this time it would not shut off when my brother was playing a game. 

The case we are using is the N200 and I believe it has two fans preinstalled. Why are the fans not showing on HW MONITOR? ON my Pc, all of them show...Is the Evo 212 the one that is spinning at 670RPM? (Look at screenshot) Is there a way to make this fan faster using a software? 

The BIOS has not been updated. If you need any more information, please ask me. Im asking here because I have gotten absolutely no help on REDDIT and all they seem to ASK is, "IS THE COOLER SET CORRECTLY? DID YOU PUT THE PASTE?" I can guarantee that after 3 times reinstalling the cooler, everything on there is fine. 

No overclocking was attempted, could the voltages also be off? Maybe I need a bios update? 

Here is a screen shot of HW Monitor  Im confused as to why it shows 59c 54c and then 71c! 

post-101369-0-36638600-1404904826_thumb.

post-101369-0-36638600-1404904826_thumb.

59, 54 and 71 are in the order current, minimum, and maximum temperature. The voltages don't seem far off to me, you could give undervolting a try to see if you can achieve lower temperatures while maintaining stability. It might be a problem of airflow: If you case doesn't have proper ventilation, the heat generated by the gpu together with the heat of the cpu could be overheating the motherboard and causing shutdown. Try running the pc with the sidepanel off and check the motherboard temps. Check msi's website to see what temperatures are supported by the motherboard. The cpu fans are spinning at 24% in that screenshot, which admittedly is kind of low for 54c idle. It's probably set to a silent regimen, so it only spins up to maintain 70c under load. There might be a specific setting in the motherboard bios to have it be in "performance mode" or whatever to make it spin optimally.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

FAN RPM seems a bit low to me too. Try turning up the speed in the BIOS or selecting a mode that will cool it like Sauron suggested.

If my brother experiences another shut down, I will guide him through the BIOS. Although im not too familiar with the MSI bios

For me it's been acting like this and I just reassembled my entire case and fixed the thermal compound issue. I went to my BIOS and press something, fan was louder and the rpm raised so I thought it would better. The thing was at 79 and now at 49 degrees Celsius, hopefully it stays there.

Update: Just shot up to 65 degrees and then went down to 49, why is this happening?

For me it's been acting like this and I just reassembled my entire case and fixed the thermal compound issue. I went to my BIOS and press something, fan was louder and the rpm raised so I thought it would better. The thing was at 79 and now at 49 degrees Celsius, hopefully it stays there.

Update: Just shot up to 65 degrees and then went down to 49, why is this happening?

Are you running anything while the temperatures are shooting up? 

Are you running anything while the temperatures are shooting up? 

Downloading a game on Steam. (Far Cry 3)

Using HW monitor to see the temps

and this browser with only one tab.

When I turn it on it's 77 degrees and then drops to 60-65 and then after a while it stays at around 49-63 occasionally jumping up to 75.

Downloading a game on Steam. (Far Cry 3)

Using HW monitor to see the temps

and this browser with only one tab.

When I turn it on it's 77 degrees and then drops to 60-65 and then after a while it stays at around 49-63 occasionally jumping up to 75.

You should take a picture of the inside of your case..also post the full specs of your system. 

Guys... AMD temp sensors are hardly ever right. As long as it doesn't shut down or something, I wouldn't worry about it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Guys... AMD temp sensors are hardly ever right. As long as it doesn't shut down or something, I wouldn't worry about it.

HW Monitor is giving some crazy readings. Around the same as on the picture I added. Coretemp doesnt work.. AMD over drive says that idle temps are at 45c..which seems more reasonable. I dont know what to trust though. 

I am getting a very faint burning smell in my computer similar to when I was soldering in an activity I did a few years back. Nothing I can smell from a distance and maybe a bit faint even when I smell inside the case

• CPU
    AMD Athlon 760k
  • Motherboard
    FM2-A78MA-E35
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengenace 8GB (1x8)
  • GPU
    GTX Gefore 750 ti FTW /w ACX Cooler
  • Case
    Rosewill Line-M
  • Storage
    Western Digital Cavier Blue 1TB
  • PSU
    Be Quiet! 600W
  •  
    The Cable management is terrible but I just tucked all unused cables into where the optical drive was. 

post-104383-0-20513800-1404923921.jpg

post-104383-0-78625800-1404923921.jpg

post-104383-0-36442200-1404923922.jpg

post-104383-0-24027500-1404923923.jpg

post-104383-0-78442000-1404923923_thumb.

For AMD I use the TIMPIN for the temps. I used the BIOS to find out which was the closest and those were closest. My 8320 on HWM says 12 degrees C while TIMPIN says 30 degrees C at idle. AMD has the worst heat sensors 

Edit: I saw your pics and could you put another fan on the 212 evo and see if that does anything?

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Is your power supply on the top of the case? The black evo 212 fan pushes air forward and it seems like its pushing air inside the case. Why dont you put the EVO 212 fan on the opposite side of the heatsink so it pushes air outside. Might help, might not. Give it a try.

HW Monitor is giving some crazy readings. Around the same as on the picture I added. Coretemp doesnt work.. AMD over drive says that idle temps are at 45c..which seems more reasonable. I dont know what to trust though. 

If you want to be safe, get something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (if it will fit in your case), and if you don't already have better aftermarket cooling. AMD temp sensors are terrible. My grandma's A6 will go from 5C to 70C in a matter of seconds, when it idles around 30C.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

If you want to be safe, get something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (if it will fit in your case), and if you don't already have better aftermarket cooling. AMD temp sensors are terrible. My grandma's A6 will go from 5C to 70C in a matter of seconds, when it idles around 30C.

Note sure if you read my post but thats the cooler I bought for my brothers after we were having problems with the stock cooler. :3 Its all in the original post.

As far as the temps go, they could be false readings. I told my brother to start playing..and if it doesnt shut off after 1 hour of game time, we will consider the problem solved.

Is your power supply on the top of the case? The black evo 212 fan pushes air forward and it seems like its pushing air inside the case. Why dont you put the EVO 212 fan on the opposite side of the heatsink so it pushes air outside. Might help, might not. Give it a try.

I was going to for airflow but my Ram will be in the way and the fan can only be at that direction. That's the only place it can be, unless I were to take out the case fans and turn them both around and have backwards airflow. where it would go out from the front and not the back. 

And to add, the fan for the Power supply, case, and CPU are all pointing at each other.

Note sure if you read my post but thats the cooler I bought for my brothers after we were having problems with the stock cooler. :3 Its all in the original post.

As far as the temps go, they could be false readings. I told my brother to start playing..and if it doesnt shut off after 1 hour of game time, we will consider the problem solved.

My bad. :P I forgot about it. xD In that case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

As mentioned, use your BIOS to increase RPM. If it's high enough, just leave it. If it starts turning off, just get a H100i

I was going to for airflow but my Ram will be in the way and the fan can only be at that direction. That's the only place it can be, unless I were to take out the case fans and turn them both around and have backwards airflow. where it would go out from the front and not the back. 

And to add, the fan for the Power supply, case, and CPU are all pointing at each other.

Here is how my set up of the 212 looks like. 

Note: I dont have any issues with this system at all. Its my brothers system I was talking about on the post. Also, im not expert at any of this...im just suggesting what works for me. Id like to help, even if its a bit. 

So the air is being pushed out from the top of the case. 

post-101369-0-28824100-1404925282_thumb.

post-101369-0-18446900-1404925297_thumb.

As mentioned, use your BIOS to increase RPM. If it's high enough, just leave it. If it starts turning off, just get a H100i

Hopefully there isnt an option on the BIOS to move the speeds with voltages because I have no idea how to work those. Not familiar with the MSI bios but if my brother keeps having issues with the pc, ill guide him through it. 

Here is how my set up of the 212 looks like. 

Note: I dont have any issues with this system at all. Its my brothers system I was talking about on the post. Also, im not expert at any of this...im just suggesting what works for me. Id like to help, even if its a bit. 

So the air is being pushed out from the top of the case.  

I just turns both case fans facing outward from inside the case, is this a good idea? The problem actually seems to have eased a just a bit!

I just turns both case fans facing outward from inside the case, is this a good idea? The problem actually seems to have eased a just a bit!

Play some games, if your computer doesnt shut down from high temps then we can just assume there is no problem with over heating. Keep us updated on this post! 

Play some games, if your computer doesnt shut down from high temps then we can just assume there is no problem with over heating. Keep us updated on this post! 

Read your mind bro, I played Far Cry 3

Ultra Settings

MSAA: 2

32 FPS 

51-81 degrees Celcius, but it was staying at 60-70 most of the time. Are these good temps?

BTW the CPU fan is at 100% but it's a noise I can deal with for this kind of performance.

Read your mind bro, I played Far Cry 3

Ultra Settings

MSAA: 2

32 FPS 

51-81 degrees Celcius, but it was staying at 60-70 most of the time. Are these good temps?

BTW the CPU fan is at 100% but it's a noise I can deal with for this kind of performance.

Im not an expert on any of this but I feel like you are getting false temperatures. My brother has the same processor and when we were having trouble with it it would shut down at 70c. You are exceeding 70c without a shut down so I feel like the temperatures are not very accurate. Try going into the BIOS for more accurate temps. They are usually displayed somewhere under PC HEALTH. If its an MSI board then the moment you load up the BIOS the temps should be there. Also try lowering your graphics a bit..im not sure how intensive Far Cry 3 is but with the Richland 760k you are probably doing full load at ULTRA SETTINGS. I suppose if you had a better processor, then you wouldnt be reaching load playing on ULTRA. Also, keep playing for an hour and constantly check your temps. 

Im not an expert on any of this but I feel like you are getting false temperatures. My brother has the same processor and when we were having trouble with it it would shut down at 70c. You are exceeding 70c without a shut down so I feel like the temperatures are not very accurate. Try going into the BIOS for more accurate temps. They are usually displayed somewhere under PC HEALTH. If its an MSI board then the moment you load up the BIOS the temps should be there. Also try lowering your graphics a bit..im not sure how intensive Far Cry 3 is but with the Richland 760k you are probably doing full load at ULTRA SETTINGS. I suppose if you had a better processor, then you wouldnt be reaching load playing on ULTRA. Also, keep playing for an hour and constantly check your temps. 

AMD Over Drive tells me 56 degrees Celcius

Speccy and HWmonitor are both the same and without much load is at 68 degrees, you can see if what you are saying to true, then you would cross out HWmonitor and Speccy and leave the AMD program which says even better. Plus the Bios says 52 degrees.

Funny how with Speccy and HWmonitor rise, AMD OVer Drive lowers, and when AMD Over Drive rises, Speccy and HWmonitor lower.