Lite Coin Mining.

I have an old laptop with a GeForce 7000M GPU and a AMD Anthlon Dual Core TK-55 CPU, an old machine, which I'll be installing Linux on, with a Intel Pentium D of some kind (no graphics card). As well as my gaming rig, which is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black with a GTX 560Ti.

Next academic year, I have a bills package with my accommodation, so power costs are not a worry, is it possible/plausible to set these three machines to mine? Atm its just for me to find that much out, but I will probably be back to ask for help setting them up at some point. 

Thanks guys.

you can but it's not worth it for CPU or nvidia mining.

a single 7750 will be faster than all 3 of your machines for mining.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

you can but it's not worth it for CPU or nvidia mining. You'll pull in less than .003 btc a day with all 3 running.

Its about litecoins though which are "much" easier to mine than bitcoins

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Not really, unless you have an ATI/ AMD card, this is not rentable/fiable.

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

AMD cards are really the only ones that work for mining Scrypt based coins such as Litecoins. Best cost to hash ratio is the 7950.

If you don't feel like investing in a few of those cards, My suggestion would be to spend the money BUYING cryptocoins and not mining them.

The 560TI will get you around 200 K/hash. A single 7950 can get you 630 K/hash

Roughly 10 litecoins a month/ $30

However with difficulty of mining constantly going up expect the total number of coins you get in a month to drop significantly. There's also the possibility that the price per coin will go up keeping your "profit" at the same.

My recommendation to you would be figure out a $ amount you want to invest and choose to buy coins directly or buy a few 7950's and work out how long it would take to make up the cost of your upgrades versus the amount you could buy.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

AMD cards are really the only ones that work for mining Scrypt based coins such as Litecoins. Best cost to hash ratio is the 7950.

If you don't feel like investing in a few of those cards, My suggestion would be to spend the money BUYING cryptocoins and not mining them.

The 560TI will get you around 200 K/hash. A single 7950 can get you 630 K/hash

Roughly 10 litecoins a month/ $30

However with difficulty of mining constantly going up expect the total number of coins you get in a month to drop significantly. There's also the possibility that the price per coin will go up keeping your "profit" at the same.

My recommendation to you would be figure out a $ amount you want to invest and choose to buy coins directly or buy a few 7950's and work out how long it would take to make up the cost of your upgrades versus the amount you could buy.

So how much would I be looking at making with Crossfire 7950s? 

https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison Use that site to find out the average hash rate per card. 620 k/hash per card. 1.24 M/hash for both cards. you will also get better hash rate if you don't run them in crossfire.

https://www.litecoinpool.org/calc put your total hash rate into the calculator and it will estimate how much you could potentially make. Heres's a copy paste from the calculator if you were to do it right now. Of course as the difficulty increases the total amount decreases, but there's the chance that the value per coin will rise to meet the increased difficulty.

1 hour 0.08762850 LTC - 0.00239226 BTC 0.27 USD

24 hours 2.10308397 LTC - 0.05741419 BTC 6.41 USD

7 days 14.72158781 LTC - 0.40189935 BTC 44.90 USD

30 days 63.09251919 LTC - 1.72242577 BTC 192.43 USD

If we round up to $200 a month, it would take you 3 months to pay off your cards assuming the difficulty doesn't change, and the value per coin stays the same (it doesn't, difficulty jumps up significantly every few days).

If you were to spend the $600 on buying coins directly right it you would get about 196 Litecoins.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Thanks very much for the feedback, its a great help. :)

• 3 weeks later...

also funny thing about mining: don't crossfire. run them as 2 separate GPUs (basically just don't enable crossfire) and run 2 miners at the same time for approx %30 better performance (when mining).

Edit: i feel dumb someone already said this, well here's confirmation.

I wouldn't reccomend mining at all anymore. Unless you are genuinely into helping bitcoin/litecoin transactions 

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

I have an old laptop with a GeForce 7000M GPU and a AMD Anthlon Dual Core TK-55 CPU, an old machine, which I'll be installing Linux on, with a Intel Pentium D of some kind (no graphics card). As well as my gaming rig, which is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black with a GTX 560Ti.

Next academic year, I have a bills package with my accommodation, so power costs are not a worry, is it possible/plausible to set these three machines to mine? Atm its just for me to find that much out, but I will probably be back to ask for help setting them up at some point. 

Thanks guys.

Those machines are not good for mining Litecoin or Bitcoin, some days ago I hear about "Yacoin", this coin is mine only with CPU, I dont know its value but if you want to use your current equipment you may check it out.

Its about litecoins though which are "much" easier to mine than bitcoins

Actually, Bitcoin is much easier to mine (for the hardware) than Litecoin, thats why the same hardware produces Megahashes in Bitcoin (1,000,000 hashes) and only Kilohashes in Litecoin (1,000 hashes). The difficulty of the network is another topic.

Dont use crossfire, there is not benefit on doing it.

I wouldn't reccomend mining at all anymore. Unless you are genuinely into helping bitcoin/litecoin transactions 

I don't agree with the "No mining statement", but with the current price it would be wiser to invest in coins not in hardware or maybe do a hybrid investment, you know get some coins and build a somewhat descent miner. I think if you have the hardware and you can get enough coins to pay the power bill + some extra coins to hold, mining is not a bad thing to do.

PG.- 

Looking around,

bla bla bla this, meh that!