South Korea makes it easier to get refunds for Android and iOS apps

Dietrichw

Source

If you've ever been burned by downloading a mobile app that you don't want or doesn't work, relief may be in sight... so long as you're in South Korea, at least. The country's Fair Trade Commission has ordered both Apple and Google to make their app refund policies more consumer-friendly. To start, Apple must make it easier to claim refunds on in-app purchases; if your kid goes wild buying in-game items, you should have an easier time getting your money back. Google, meanwhile, has to let developers set their own refund terms.

There are a handful of smaller tweaks in store. Apple will have to notify shoppers whenever it alters the App Store's terms of service, and Google must stop apps from automatically charging you the moment a trial period ends. All the new rules are limited to South Korea for now, but Apple says it might change its terms on a global level. Google isn't considering a similar approach at this stage, but the Fair Trade Commission is hoping that it created a "ripple effect" which leads to similar policies elsewhere. If the rules do spread worldwide, that would undoubtedly be good news -- you could try paid apps without the risk of being left high and dry.

all the yes, pls bring it here

And yet again, Korea is making the mobile phone experience even better.

Take note EVERY COUNTRY EVER.

COMIC SANS

And yet again, Korea is making the mobile phone experience even better.

Take note EVERY COUNTRY EVER.

ah if only this would work on PC games few years ago, my poor old mom could refound that 4000 SEK whatever My sis burned on that terrible 2D game (Habbo)

Oh well, GG! this is nice!

On android at least, you can refund immediately within 15 minutes, if you miss that then you can go to your account page and ask for a refund (given every time I tried).

On the other hand in-app purchases are only password protected, and if parents are concerned, then why do they add their card info to a child's account?

Comb it with a brick

ah if only this would work on PC games few years ago, my poor old mom could refound that 4000 SEK whatever My sis burned on that terrible 2D game (Habbo)

Oh well, GG! this is nice!

Now I have a story to share, but I'll make it quick. Keep in mind that this happened a few years ago and my sister is 2 years older than me.

My sister and her friend went to go play a game on my Xbox 360. Left the room, and came back a few minutes to see that my sister bought a freaking Fable II DLC with my Microsoft Points. She wasted 800 of them! (That's around $10.) Like seriously, how on Earth do you screw up that badly!? All you do is turn on the console and hit "Play Game." The freaking Xbox starts up with that as the first selection!

Was so pissed about it at the time, but I eventually got my $10 back from her, so it's all good now. But the point of the story is that I could have gotten an actual refund from Microsoft if they had non-BS refund policies.

What's the worse part of all of this though? I couldn't even play the DLC because I didn't have Fable II.

COMIC SANS

As much as I like this I have to comment on the "my kids spent 500 bucks on in-app purchases" thing. Yes, it is good that you can get your money back on that since most of those games are made to exploit people and especially kids, but if that happens to you then you are simply not parenting your kid properly (not to mention that there are easy ways to disable purchases for your kids' phone)