Laptop sister rant

Mao_Zedong

My sister has been shopping for a laptop for over six months now. At one point she asked me for help, so i spent hours finding great options for her. Last night i found out she had seen a laptop and just gotten it without even telling me. The laptop she got was around the same price as the one i recommended, but it had no gpu, the cpu is half as fast, and it has not backlit keyboard or touchscreen. She will be using it for pretty intensive work, so she really needed those specs. Its not like its way better looking or more portable, its half a pound lighter and he no metal, so it looks way worse. The only reason she gave was that asus has a terrible warranty (which i am pretty sure is false).

life lesson, next time tell her to go solo on the laptop creep

I'm sure the warranty was at least 2 years+ which isn't terrible by any means. Anyway that's what non-techies do, make uninformed decisions about buying technology. Not much to do about it.

What models are we talking about exactly? Btw. there is a thread for that: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

the laptop i said was the asus n550jk, she got the lenovo z50. she said it was the same price when she included a warranty, so idk what exact model it was, but it is worse speced.

My sister doesn't listen to me very well. She uses Chrome on a Dell slower than mine (still 1GB of RAM) and she complains that it's really slow. I pull up task manager and see her RAM has less than 10MB left, and her swap has been obliterated. I open the same stuff on my computer in Firefox and I have 30% of my RAM left and about half-70% of my swap left. And I can do other things too (but that might be due to my computer having a faster CPU).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i5-U edition and GTX 820M vs fully fledged mobile i5 + 850M .... ouch that Hertz my brain!

Edit: nvm there are way too many variants of that notebook. But if your laptops lie in a equal price range and have said differences... then good lord.

who cares...

Well, that's what she gets for not listening. She'll realize by herself she should have listened to you, even though she'll never admit it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i5-U edition and GTX 820M vs fully fledged mobile i5 + 850M .... ouch that Hertz my brain!

Edit: nvm there are way too many variants of that notebook. But if your laptops lie in a equal price range and have said differences... then good lord.

its core I7s, but yup, the one is slightly faster per core, and has double the cores.