Razer Tiamat 7.1 - Worst headset ever!

<rant>

I got a great deal on the Tiamat 7.1 and decided to buy it. It was the worst mistake of my life, well apparently. It's a good idea and all but the audio quality is just so pathetic! Here are my

1. Comfort - It isn't as comfortable as I'd like it to be but that's just me and I'm comparing it to my old trusty HD518.

2. Ear fatigue - I can't keep them on for long hours in the day. I understand that comparing this with my Sennheiser HD518 is unfair but I have worn those for 10 hours straight without any fatigue whatsoever! With the Tiamat, 30 mins and it feels like my ears can just start bleeding any moment.

3. Audio quality - It's truly, amazingly and spectacularly terrible. The worst sound that I have ever heard in a headphone by far!

4. Build quality - Apart from the headband, this appears as if it was built by some crappy Chinese OEM which makes low cost products. And this isn't a cheap headset.

5. Cable quality - Perhaps the only positive thing I can say about this headset. The cables are well braided and very sturdy.

What I don't get is, how can reviewers lie so much about the sound quality of this crappy headset. Am I doing something wrong here? I was using it with an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and then an ASUS Xonar (7.1), which I bought solely for this trash (what a waste of my hard earned money!) and it was just plain bad. **** you Razer! Seriously, I'm never buying an audio product made by you again. Why are people buying this crap? It's bad with games and movies.

I have boxed it back and it lies now at the back of my storage. If anyone in India is interested in buying this garbage, I'd be happy to sell it to you. But my advice is, DON'T. This is a bad product and should not be used by anyone, ever!

</rant>

Those so called surround sound headphones with 7.1 audio and fancy shiny titles and true movie experience.....Etc ARE CRAP!You want 7.1 for movies buy a 7.1 audio system,you want gaming get a good pair or headphones.Never buy 7.1 heaphones or 5.1 they are pure crap

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Those so called surround sound headphones with 7.1 audio and fancy shiny titles and true movie experience.....Etc ARE CRAP!You want 7.1 for movies buy a 7.1 audio system,you want gaming get a good pair or headphones.Never buy 7.1 heaphones or 5.1 they are pure crap

Yup, I'd have to agree and most gaming headsets suck-ass.

I actually looked at this guide below and decided to get the pair I wanted looking at both sound-quality, sound-signature and sound-stage.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

If you really want surround-sound just go virtual surround, cause all of the 7.1 headphones do that anyway:

1. http://www.razerzone.com/au-en/surround

2. Get a soundcard that supports it

Or you could just turn on that "headphone" setting in the audio settings in just about any-game.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

I do have to agree, I bought Razer Megalodon. It is terrible headset, I have constant mic problems. I will soon buy something better. Geeez, gaming headsets aren't worth the money.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Confapulations on preaching to the choir. If you want to educate some fools go post this oin the peripheral sub forum. Should be jolly.

I have both Tiamat and the megalodon and its just crap.

The only possitive things about megalodon is that its a tiny bit cheaper then the Tiamat

You simply don't buy audio devices from gaming brands. 

You did 1 fatal mistake, which is you already used the 518, then moving to the tiamat..... :P

That's what this was.. I completely agree! :P

Why are people buying this crap?

Marketing.

And then the audya sub gets accusing of being "elitist" for steering people away from soundcards and headsets towards real headphones.  :rolleyes: 

I need to ask. Have you set these up right. I have these, they sound good for gaming headsets, I did not buy these for music. If you put them on 7.1 and leave windows sound settings how they are, it will sound bad.

What you need to do is ether right click on your speakers in the playback devices panel and go to enhancements. Now you want to pick bass management (and loudness eq if its quiet like on board sound).

This makes the bass go to the 40mm driver and makes it much, much better.

2.1 mode also works with out the windows enhancements, some things sound better with 2.1 and others with the setup above. Its your choice on what you use.

Many dont know how to set these up and thats why you see so many reviews saying its tinny.

tl;dr the headphones are great for gaming when set up right. If you want to listen to music, get some decent headphones.

Galaxy: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by a h105) - ASUS Sabertooth Z77 - Corsair Vengeance 8gb Ram - Nvidia GTX 780 2 way Sli - Corsair HX850i - Corsair C70

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Battlefield 4 Collectors Edition (TO BE REPLACED BY K65 RGB) - Logitech G502 - Hyperx Cloud

>Razer

Why you expected anything decent from Razer is completely beyond me.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

>Razer

Actually the deathadder is pretty good. Only thing I recommend from Razer though. 

Edit: On second thought maybe the Razer blade too. 

tl;dr the headphones are great for gaming when set up right. If you want to listen to music, get some decent headphones.

lolno. Gaming audio is not different from music and movies. Stop getting pulled in by marketing. And don't forget that most games have soundtracks playing as well.

Actually the deathadder is pretty good. Only thing I recommend from Razer though. 

DA 1g was the only decent product Razer ever came up with.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

>Razer

I thought their gaming mouse and/or keyboard are quite decent, because that was the first I've heard about razer, which was their mouse and keyboard?

Several gimped drivers per cup will never surpass 1 really good driver per cup.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

The 2013 is even better? I mean I don't like Razer but a good product is a good product. 

I have tried the 2013 twice. Both times they went defective less than a week of purchase. Maybe a bad batch but my only good experience was the 1g.

I have tried the 2013 twice. Both times they went defective less than a week of purchase. Maybe a bad batch but my only good experience was the 1g.

My roommate had the 2013 and it's still going strong after about 6 months so I think you just got unlucky. Also the ones they give back to you for RMAs are refurbs so they are more likely to break. 

I think the Abyssus is decent.

I need to ask. Have you set these up right. I have these, they sound good for gaming headsets, I did not buy these for music. If you put them on 7.1 and leave windows sound settings how they are, it will sound bad.

What you need to do is ether right click on your speakers in the playback devices panel and go to enhancements. Now you want to pick bass management (and loudness eq if its quiet like on board sound).

This makes the bass go to the 40mm driver and makes it much, much better.

2.1 mode also works with out the windows enhancements, some things sound better with 2.1 and others with the setup above. Its your choice on what you use.

Many dont know how to set these up and thats why you see so many reviews saying its tinny.

OP, try out his suggestion. Shouldn't take too long to try out.

Maybe bad batch. A friend of mine got one and it's been going strong ever since and he likes it.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Hello! I'm not sure why you decided to buy the Tiamats when you said that you own a pair of HD518s. Out of the box, this headset sounds abysmal. But if you want to get some use out of this headset, you can try to use equaliser settings to fix the output from the muddy mess that you receive out of the box. (You will not be able to get the same clarity of a quality pair of headphones by using software EQ, but you can try) As Alfie_Assassin said, make sure you enable bass management in Windows or a low pass filter in your sound card settings.

I also picked up this headset for under $100 and had to spend the time screwing around in software to try and make them sound like my old hd201s until I was satisfied with my purchase. For the price the result was ok, with the convenience of a headset and the passthrough button to use with your speakers. Like the majority of the people who bought this headset, Razer won my purchase with the awesome packaging and LED lights haha.

I just can't beleive how much Razer charged for this headset brand new!!!