Is it not good to have a significantly lower FPS than refresh rate?

Ghost4372
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

I'm willing to lower the quality just to get higher fps. still a good option?

yes, but make sure you measure your framerate with fraps or whatever to see if you actually reach a high enough framerate to justify the purchase. I'd say 90+ fps justifies a 120hz monitor, however a 144hz one is only worth it if you get 130+.

I'm thinking of buying a 144hz monitor. I have a GTX 760 an a FX-6300. Will I have some issues because the FPS will not reach the refresh rate?

You won't necessarily have issues, but you're wasting money because you won't be able to use such a high refresh rate. Don't buy it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no, but whats the point of having a 144hz monitor if you wont reach it? unless its just for the response speed i guess.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

You don't need to have it pegged at 144 fps in everything. If it gets above 60 fps you'll notice.

You won't necessarily have issues, but you're wasting money because you won't be able to use such a high refresh rate. Don't buy it.

yeah, op shouldnt do what console users think works

IMHO, you'd be much better off buying a 60hz IPS 1080p monitor. the gaming performance will not be quite as good, but the gaming EXPERIENCE will be loads better because your GPU can faithfully push that many frames in most games at max settings, and the improved color and viewing angles will be a worthy trade.

if you run VSYNC, I expect that you would tend to run at 77hz because when you cannot run the full framerate, you run at a fraction. I might add that most IPS 60hz monitors can be overclocked with EVGA pixel clock utility to 77hz even over HDMI

yes, but make sure you measure your framerate with fraps or whatever to see if you actually reach a high enough framerate to justify the purchase. I'd say 90+ fps justifies a 120hz monitor, however a 144hz one is only worth it if you get 130+.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*