Pentium G3258 Build - Project Ishikawa

lcater95

Intro

This is my very first PC build and my entry into the "PC master race". For the past two years I have wanted to build a gaming PC and almost did when the Richland APUs came out and was so close to again when Kaveri dropped. This summer when I got home from college and got a job I finally decided to do it. It was going to be an APU or Athlon base system because I was on a budget but, when I heard about this Pentium I had to buy it. The build was not very hard and only took me about 4 hours to get it running. I hope you guys enjoy the build log.

And about the name: I name all my technology after Ghost in the Shell Characters. 

Pictures to come.

@Icater95

do post us the part list and pictures of your rig

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Well... I think we'd all like to see your work? Also, congratz on the build!

Parts And Philosophy

20140703_135329.jpg

Mother Board: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming

I chose this motherboard because It was the cheapest one that had all the features I wanted including: Isolated Audio, Good Audio, SLI and XFire support, Overclockability, Plenty of USB ports, and the MicroATX form factor. This board will also let me upgrade to broadwell if I want.  

CPU: Pentium G3258

I chose the CPU for the simple reason of the price/performance ratio. Once I overclock this little guy should scream.

Graphics Card: MSI TWIN FROZR R9 280

The 280 was the card that fit my needs the best. It should max out most games at 1080p which will be awesome and 3GB of memory is a nice touch. I got the MSI card because it was only $200 after mail in rebate.

Memory: AData XPG V 1.0

Its memory. I got it in two sticks because of NewEgg combo discounts.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

I got this for about $20 after a combo deal with my RAM. 

Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 650w

I got this power supply because it was 80+ Bronze, had very attractive flat black cables, and had enough power for the future. And it was only $35.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Got it for cheap with a combo. Its a 1TB hard drive and that's about it. Will get an SSD soon.

Case: CoolerMaster N200

Very attractive MicroATX case and was a steal at only $40.

Gratz on the build man!  

While us PC power users and gamers have far superior power over the console folk, I dont like the term "PCMasterRace" 

But that doesn't stop us feeling awesome about our creations!  You will feel awesome once you've built your PC!   Also, feel free to message me if you want any help with any issues you may run into during the build :)

Parts And Philosophy

20140703_135329.jpg

Mother Board: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming

I chose this motherboard because It was the cheapest one that had all the features I wanted including: Isolated Audio, Good Audio, SLI and XFire support, Overclockability, Plenty of USB ports, and the MicroATX form factor. This board will also let me upgrade to broadwell if I want.  

CPU: Pentium G3258

I chose the CPU for the simple reason of the price/performance ratio. Once I overclock this little guy should scream.

Graphics Card: MSI TWIN FROZR R9 280

The 280 was the card that fit my needs the best. It should max out most games at 1080p which will be awesome and 3GB of memory is a nice touch. I got the MSI card because it was only $200 after mail in rebate.

Memory: AData XPG V 1.0

Its memory. I got it in two sticks because of NewEgg combo discounts.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

I got this for about $20 after a combo deal with my RAM. 

Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 650w

I got this power supply because it was 80+ Bronze, had very attractive flat black cables, and had enough power for the future. And it was only $35.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Got it for cheap with a combo. Its a 1TB hard drive and that's about it. Will get an SSD soon.

Case: CoolerMaster N200

Very attractive MicroATX case and was a steal at only $40.

I cant help thinking that an i5 would have best suited this build, but you always have the option to upgrade :D    I just have worries your awesome chip will struggle pushing that card to it full potential, but then.  Come to think of it, it can push a 780!  

Everything else seems fantastic though!  

Note: You should know you will have to overclock the Pentium to get its good performance, I assume you already know just because I wanted to tell you again because I'm like that :P

I cant help thinking that an i5 would have best suited this build, but you always have the option to upgrade :D    I just have worries your awesome chip will struggle pushing that card to it full potential, but then.  Come to think of it, it can push a 780!  

Note: You should know you will have to overclock the Pentium to get its good performance, I assume you already know just because I wanted to tell you again because I'm like that :P

Yeah. I'm going to overclock it once I update the bios and get back from vacation (~4days). I would have gone for an i5 but It wasn't in the budget. 

Gratz on the build man!  

While us PC power users and gamers have far superior power over the console folk, I dont like the term "PCMasterRace" 

But that doesn't stop us feeling awesome about our creations!  You will feel awesome once you've built your PC!   Also, feel free to message me if you want any help with any issues you may run into during the build :)

Thanks. I should probably edit PC master race into quotes so the sarcasm can actually be heard lol.

Yeah. I'm going to overclock it once I update the bios and get back from vacation (~4days). I would have gone for an i5 but It wasn't in the budget. 

you've got the ability to upgrade, and z97 is compatible with Haswell, so you could grab a cheap i5 4430 and chuck it in there and it would run like a dream, thats if the pentium doesn't cut it.  

Updating the BIOS is always a good idea first off, and dont forget to run the normal stress tests.

Memtest86 for about 5 hours, Aida64/Intel extreme tuning utility stress test for about 5 hours.  Esspecially with overclocking, overclocking can cause memory instability as well as processor instability so its a good idea to run them even longer too! 

you've got the ability to upgrade, and z97 is compatible with Haswell, so you could grab a cheap i5 4430 and chuck it in there and it would run like a dream, thats if the pentium doesn't cut it.  

Updating the BIOS is always a good idea first off, and dont forget to run the normal stress tests.

Memtest86 for about 5 hours, Aida64/Intel extreme tuning utility stress test for about 5 hours.  Esspecially with overclocking, overclocking can cause memory instability as well as processor instability so its a good idea to run them even longer too! 

The latest bios for my Mobo ads overclocking for my chip. Will definitely run those tests. 

I probably will upgrade to broadwell if I do upgrade but I have a massive backlog of older games to play that the pentium will have no problem running.  

The latest bios for my Mobo ads overclocking for my chip. Will definitely run those tests. 

I probably will upgrade to broadwell if I do upgrade but I have a massive backlog of older games to play that the pentium will have no problem running.  

nice, the only thing I would be worried about is just normal use, I couldn't manage trying to browse the web with only 2 cores lol. 

Yet I think back and it was just last year I had a crappy dual core amd processor.  But good luck with the build :)

Hell yes :) this is going to be good .

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I'm gone from my computer and on vacation for the next couple of days. The log will continue then.

I have the same motherboard, and I have to warn you about the auto voltage. I put an i7-4790K into the board and the auto voltage set the voltage at 1.397 volts. That's WAY to high. I went into the motherboard and lowered it manually, and it's fine, but I just thought you should know to watch out for that.

why a pentium with a r9 280?

Because huge overclock on that Pentium, that's why

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

The newest bios for my mobo added

1. Add Pentium AE G3258 CPU overclocking function

2. Improve SSD Performance

Is it worth flashing and does "overclocking function" mean auto overclock or ability to overclock?

Construction

I apologize for the lack of many pictures. I was focused on getting it done. 

MotherBoard out

20140703_135818.jpg

CPU Installed

20140703_143220.jpg

That Thermal Paste

20140703_144919.jpg

please for the love of god dont quote images AND a full body of text at least snip them or put them in a spoiler

Construction 2

In the case and 212+ installed

20140708_185835.jpg

Power Supply in

20140708_184914.jpg

"Finished" - Dat Cable Management

20140703_164155.jpg

Oh My Gosh Man!  Do your cable management while you still can!  If you put it off it will be beyond frustrating to fix it!

Cable management

nope.gif

[spoiler= My "gaming rig" ]

• CPU: Intel i5 2500
  • Motherboard: Asrock B75M-GL R2.0
  • RAM: 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Kingston, 1x4 GB 1333 Mhz Transcend
  • GPU: MSI GTX 770 Gaming OC 2 GB
  • Case: Zalman Z3 plus white
  • Storage: WD Blue 500 GB, WD Black 1 TB
  • PSU: LC POWER 650W ATX v2.3 80+ bronze
  • Display(s): Acer V223HQ
  • Cooling: Scythe SCKTN-3000
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire TK MX blue
  • Mouse: Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse

For the love of all that is GabeN, please fix you cable management. 

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5