[HWbot] Sofos1990 First to Break DDR3-4600 Barrier With GIGABYTE Z97X-SOC Force LN2

1198479.jpg

We had to wait until the release of the GIGABYTE Z97X-SOC Force LN2 to see new heights in DDR3 overclocking. The in-house overclocking team formed by HiCookie and Sofos1990 demoed the motherboard at the Computex 2014 overclocking competitions and showed what it was capable of in terms of memory overclocking. First came DDR3-4500 and yesterday Sofos1990 also hit the DDR3-4600 mark. Impressive!

Source

HWbot

That's some serious speed. His latency is 6.08ns, mind you at CAS 14. Meanwhile a DDR3 2400MHz kit at CAS 9 does 7.5ns

(Not sure if this is a re-post, tried searching didn't find anything)

Wow

Ok,so i got a question...

Why do people want faster speeds on RAM..

Nice job on his part for that overclock but I still dont see any benefit

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

That is freaking insane

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Ok,so i got a question...

Why do people want faster speeds on RAM..

Nice job on his part for that overclock but I still dont see any benefit

BECAUSE MOAR SPEED = MOAR BETTER  : D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If memory frequency never got faster we'd all still be on DDR1  ;)

Indeed but even if we had stayed on DDR1 with the same speed but the same GB's then wouldn't it be the same thing?

EDIT: Let me rephrase.

If he had same speed but more space wouldn't it be the same?

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Indeed but even if we had stayed on DDR1 with the same speed but the same GB's then wouldn't it be the same thing?

No. DDR1 started at 100MHz. Imagine if we stayed at 100MHz memory. It's peak transfer rate was 1600 mb/s. Today DDR3 2133MHz has a peak transfer rate of 17066 ⅔ mb/s.

No. DDR1 started at 100MHz. Imagine if we stayed at 100MHz memory. It's peak transfer rate was 1600 mb/s. Today DDR3 2133MHz has a peak transfer rate of 17066 ⅔ mb/s.

So because the frequency has gone up it meant that we could get more GB's?

Not just that, they could fit more GB per dim, while making it use less power and also less heat output. 

Ok thanks, I didn't know that so now I see why such speeds are important ..

Not just that, they could fit more GB per dim, while making it use less power and also less heat output. 

So because the frequency has gone up it meant that we could get more GB's?

The frequency has nothing to do with the capacity. The capacity change is due to newer technologies and with reduced power consumption and smaller manufacturing processes 

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

The frequency has nothing to do with the capacity. The capacity change is due to newer technologies and with reduced power consumption and smaller manufacturing processes 

Correction, yes the frequency going up has nothing to do with the increase in capacity. I thought that was already understood, misread his question. Was just explaining that you could fit more GB per dim, use less power and less heat by moving from DDR1 to DDR2 to DDR3 to DDR4

Correction, yes the frequency going up has nothing to do with the increase in capacity. I thought that was already understood, misread his question. Was just explaining that you could fit more GB per dim, use less power and less heat by moving from DDR1 to DDR2 to DDR3 to DDR4

I thought that was what you meant i just didn't want anybody to misunderstand is all.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP