IT Job and Fitness? *Poll*

cluelessgenius

So id like to hear your thoughts on staying in shape while working in IT 8-10 hours a day.

me personally i struggle with getting in shape since i work a desk job 8-10 hours a day and im pretty much stressed out after worked so i cant find the energy to go run a few miles or work out but still i not giving up i will find a solution at some point

anyway thanks for your input and honesty hopefully

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I can run 10KM in 48 minutes while working 12-14 hours a day :D

Running won't get you ripped lol

Try running 10KM everyday and tell me about not being fit ~ I don't want to be ripped anyway.

but it burns fat very efficiently i hear so...

I can run 10KM in 48 minutes while working 12-14 hours a day :D

....cudos to you

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

im not an it guy yet :L but i will try to stay fit when i am 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

You won't get energy if you don't start doing something :)

well to a certan degree i do understand that but the reality is different since even though i understand it and know what i should do and why i just cant bring myself to it i gueass i lack disciplin

You don't have to run to get fit, you can start by doing some push-ups and sit-ups.

Won't take long and you don't have to leave the house.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

You don't have to run to get fit, you can start by doing some push-ups and sit-ups.

Won't take long and you don't have to leave the house.

actually i enjoy leaving the house for some time running just doesnt apeal to me that much i might have to find something else maybe get a bike or go swimming

but this post was not ment to help me personally get over my problem it was more of a general discussion on how people in IT stay in shape or dont

Currently overweight, but just started cycling 5-10 miles every night after work and doing a few work outs

Doenst take much time out of my dad

Also started using the iPhone app 7 minutes, and doing a 7 minute workout before and after work

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Can easily do both. Just have to measure how high on the priority list it is for you.

If I know I can't get to gym by 19:00 then I make sure to be there at 04:30 the morning when I have to work late.

It's not an option...it's a priority. Becomes easy to find the time then.

I go and lift four days a week and I work a 32-40hr week as an intern. 

A typical week without going into my routine:

Monday - off work, lift early in the AM when I feel the best and have the most energy

Tuesday - I usually seem to have classes every semester on this day so no lifting at all

Wednesday - simply too busy

Thursday - I go and lift immediately after work (7:15am - 4pm work day)

Friday - same as Thursday

Saturday and Sunday are typically my make up days or where I incorporate additional cardio to stay lean especially if I'm bulking.

It's definitely possible OP. You have to know what your priorities are though and have consistency and excellent time management skills. I've cut down on TV and video games in favor of staying healthy since I don't have time to work a full work week, go to school, carry out other life responsibilities, lift, and play games. Something has to be compromised and I'd be an idiot to compromise the first three.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Try running 10KM everyday and tell me about not being fit ~ I don't want to be ripped anyway.

normal people run 5 km in 30-40 min........ you are a rabbit

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Even when I was working 50+ hour weeks and odd shifts or out of town work, I could still find 30 minutes 3 times a week to work out. No, that won't get you ripped, but it will keep you in shape if you do your part. Worked with some "gym rats" that had trouble with that kind of schedule, constantly trying to eat just to fuel all the muscle.

normal people run 5 km in 30-40 min........ you are a rabbit

Thanks ~ I have trained a lot for this! :)

You have to work at it, and make sure your dietary requirements are in order.

I let it slip during january -> may. But I've taken the time to sort myself out and get working again. 

Its natural to slip sometimes you just have to get back on the horse and not beat yourself up for it. Unless you slip like I did which was nearly half a year.

Its a balance as some people say you have to treat it as a priority.

One of my gym friends is an amateur body builder and he works an it job in a law firm.

Fitness and IT can go together you just need to put in the hours.

You'll find when you start exercising you will have more energy not less.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I can eat as much as I want with 0% weight gain

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Try doing your workout in the morning.

One of the hardest parts is getting dressed and getting it done. When you get home from work the sofa or pc is just too appealing. But in the morning you can put on your workout clothes first get the workout done and then get ready for work.

Doing this will also get you energized and pumped at work so you can start your day fast and not slow.