nVidia shield successor: nVidia tablet

Lightning

Can't get around the native touch controls of 99% of droid apps ruining the controller input, it's not worth it IMO as the whole streaming thing is a gimmick and now everyone is bored of it.

Can't get around the native touch controls of 99% of droid apps ruining the controller input, it's not worth it IMO as the whole streaming thing is a gimmick and now everyone is bored of it.

Idk about that. My clans twitch channel has about 140 viewers everyday at minimum. When 3 of us are using the same channel it risess to about 180.

Depends on your take on it. For us PC gamers and very enthusiastic gamers in general? Yeah fuck tablets. But for Nvidia as a company? It's a much better idea to make a really strong tablet that while differentiates by it's extra abilities and graphics muscle, it's still way more compatible with the vast majority of endless Android games and apps.

More over, remember that this is possibly just a showcase for their Tegra chips so this would make a much more convincing argument for potential hardware partners to integrate tegra for their upcoming tablets.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Depends on your take on it. For us PC gamers and very enthusiastic gamers in general? Yeah fuck tablets. But for Nvidia as a company? It's a much better idea to make a really strong tablet that while differentiates by it's extra abilities and graphics muscle, it's still way more compatible with the vast majority of endless Android games and apps.

More over, remember that this is possibly just a showcase for their Tegra chips so this would make a much more convincing argument for potential hardware partners to integrate tegra for their upcoming tablets.

I'm sorry my comment wasn't worded very well at all now I read it back, I am pro their decision to make it into a tablet because of the previous shield's being more controller than screen.

A tablet is far more suited to Android I agree fully, I was prodding at the seeming obsolescence of streaming PC games to the original shield (presumed primary use of it's controller based design, and biggest weakness in terms of the use of native Android touch apps/games).

Fucking yes. I was always hoping for a new tablet. The shield was kind of meh because who the shit wants to play on Android, but the note was phenomenonal

"So why a tablet? The original Shield is just a tablet with a controller (permanently) attached, so separating them makes sense."

No it doesn't  :mellow: 

Reason to grab a Nvidia Tablet over a Shield for me would be price, and just hooking it up to a TV more permanently and just leave it there. Would be cheaper than a Shield, and if you were only using it for that, then there would not be a need to get anything else than the tablet.

"So why a tablet? The original Shield is just a tablet with a controller (permanently) attached, so separating them makes sense."

No it doesn't  :mellow: 

Certain people involved with this forum and community seemed to think so.  He or she has even made a video which mocks the Shield as such.

I truly believed the Shield was more than just a cellphone/tablet with a controller glued to it.  It's too bad that certain people (who shall remain nameless) perpetuated the incorrect image.  Now we will have a successor to the Shield, a so-called 'gaming device' potentially without a controller.  You win, I hope you are all happy.

Certain people involved with this forum and community seemed to think so.  He or she has even made a video which mocks the Shield as such.

I truly believed the Shield was more than just a cellphone/tablet with a controller glued to it.  It's too bad that certain people (who shall remain nameless) perpetuated the incorrect image.  Now we will have a successor to the Shield, a so-called 'gaming device' potentially without a controller.  You win, I hope you are all happy.

I could just as easily say that certain people over praise a glorified tablet with a controller just because Linus is a strong advocate of it. Believe it or not he can be wrong about things and his opinion is not always universally accepted.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Now they have a whole other market to compete with.

Good luck with that, Nvidia.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Yeah cause this worked out so well for razer right? 

post-7478-0-62303600-1404333607.jpg

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I'm not sure what to think about this.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I would like to see a dock like implementation with the controller, so you can use it as a normal tablet as that's much more suitable for 90% of all the things you could do on the original shield, and hook it up with the controller if you happen to play a supported game or stream from your PC for extended battery life and a plethora of other stuff.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I'm down for an nVidia tablet. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!