AMD FX-6300 - 4 cores in Task Explorer

N3rot0xin
Go to solution Solved by N3rot0xin,

I figured it out.. it was rather obvious. I hadn't enabled the "CPU Unlock" option in my motherboards bios.... -facepalm-

I know that the AMD cpus aren't "true <core count> cpus" (referring to the Bulldozer Modules), but how should a 6300 show up in windows task manager? Mine only shows 4 cores, and CPU-Z only lists 4 cores/threads as well. I did swap motherboards recently (didn't reinstall windows, there was no reason to as far as i could tell. Everything is working perfectly thus far). I've already done the trick with MSconfig -> Boot -> Advanced, but that only shows 4 cores too. Am I missing something here? The CPU is correctly detected in the BIOS of my GA-990FXA-UD3. 

I am whatever I am. 

My 6300 shows up with 6 cores 

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

It would show 6 cores, maybe a module is deactivated in BIOS.

It would show 6 cores, maybe a module is deactivated in BIOS.

Apparently it was working before, so that couldn't be it.

Well the CPU is new as well. It came after a 3 month long struggle hunting down a system crashing bug. So since it was working, it hasn't shown 6 cores ever on windows. Gigabytes EasyTune6 says 6 cores/4 threads. 

I am whatever I am. 

He got a new mobo though

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

I figured it out.. it was rather obvious. I hadn't enabled the "CPU Unlock" option in my motherboards bios.... -facepalm-

I am whatever I am. 

I'm still wondering why you would need to enable the CPU unlock feature to get access to the last 2 cores. Doesn't make sense to me but good job hunting down the problem.

I'm still wondering why you would need to enable the CPU unlock feature to get access to the last 2 cores. Doesn't make sense to me but good job hunting down the problem.

Because of reasons.. more or less lol. It really doesn't make much sense. My guess would be its a choice made by Gigabyte, maybe they figured enabling all of a cpus cores (if over 4) meant higher power usage/higher heat. Less of both seems to be a bigger thing these days. 

I am whatever I am. 

Dunno, I have the same board with an 8320 and never had issues, seemed kinda weird lol, but hey it works.

@ooiman92 exactly lol. I've learned to not question things when they work for no explainable reason. Its much easier to just go with it. 

I am whatever I am. 

Because of reasons.. more or less lol. It really doesn't make much sense. My guess would be its a choice made by Gigabyte, maybe they figured enabling all of a cpus cores (if over 4) meant higher power usage/higher heat. Less of both seems to be a bigger thing these days. 

You shouldn't have to use CPU unlocking regardless. I think this may be a better solution to your problem.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/16720/enable-multiple-cores-on-windows-7/

Had another guy on the forums a while back with a similar problem and it turned out that cores where turned off in his boot options. Worth a try. 

You shouldn't have to use CPU unlocking regardless. I think this may be a better solution to your problem.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/16720/enable-multiple-cores-on-windows-7/

Had another guy on the forums a while back with a similar problem and it turned out that cores where turned off in his boot options. Worth a try. 

Well as I went and unlocked the CPU cores, I also went to the Boot options in msconfig, and unticked the "Number of Processors" and shutdown (not restart). When I rebooted I went and unlocked cores. It could have been either, I'm still leaning towards the BIOS change, I tried the msconfig already(I restarted that time, didn't do a full shutdown. Maybe thats why?).

I am whatever I am. 

Well as I went and unlocked the CPU cores, I also went to the Boot options in msconfig, and unticked the "Number of Processors" and shutdown (not restart). When I rebooted I went and unlocked cores. It could have been either, I'm still leaning towards the BIOS change, I tried the msconfig already(I restarted that time, didn't do a full shutdown. Maybe thats why?).

I suppose if it ain't broke, don't fix it no more. lol