Headphones for a bass head

flibberdipper

Well, I have a better budget for audio ($100), and I'm reconsidering the headphones I'd like to get. Right now I'm thinking about getting Sennheiser HD280 headphones, but I'm not sure if they're the best for $100 or so (they're just under $84 on Amazon). I'd prefer to have the normal 3.5mm jack, a cable that is no longer than 6 feet, and for them to be black.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Vmoda makes a good set of bassy earcups below 100$, I forget specific model name.

Error: 410

Vmoda makes a good set of bassy earcups below 100$, I forget specific model name.

Crossfade LP?

Price went up as of Christmas, but maybe within budget on eBay.

I used to have a pair of HD280's and they're not what you want. The reason I bought them was because I found them on sale for $50 in a store.

If you can spare a few bucks more (more like $20-$30) you can get a pair of V Moda's and you'll be happy with them. If not, then the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (non X revision) can be found for around $100 and they're somewhat bass heavy (inb4 someone says something about the ATH-M50's being overrated).

I used to have a pair of HD280's and they're not what you want. The reason I bought them was because I found them on sale for $50 in a store.

If you can spare a few bucks more (more like $20-$30) you can get a pair of V Moda's and you'll be happy with them. If not, then the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (non X revision) can be found for around $100 and they're somewhat bass heavy (inb4 someone says something about the ATH-M50's being overrated).

But...But.... OVERRATED! ;)

I just purchased the M50x a few months ago, and with the right EQ settings have the potential of being plenty bass heavy. BUT, not as much as some others I have tried. 

Best recommendation I have, @tmcclelland455 - is to buy 2-3 different sets from a reputable local store without a shady return policy, and try each out for a week or so and return the ones you don't like. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

If not, then the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (non X revision) can be found for around $100 and they're somewhat bass heavy (inb4 someone says something about the ATH-M50's being overrated).

They are overrated..... when they're over $100. 

The ATH-M50's are almost twice my budget. I snooped around and I found these... Any objections?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1245be942092d1a4/index.html

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Compared to the ones I found, which do you think would be bassier? bassiest? out of the box?

Also, I was looking at the M50x's. xD I need a nap.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Compared to the ones I found, which do you think would be bassier? bassiest? out of the box?

Also, I was looking at the M50x's. xD I need a nap.

I cannot say, I'm sorry. Although since the ones you posted were marketed as "solid bass" I would assume they have "solid bass" xD. They are smaller than the M50s, and when they were both on the market as new products, the m50s were $60 more (they are so cheap now because the X version is out). 

If you can find both locally and can try them out...that would be ideal.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I cannot say, I'm sorry. Although since the ones you posted were marketed as "solid bass" I would assume they have "solid bass" xD. They are smaller than the M50s, and when they were both on the market as new products, the m50s were $60 more (they are so cheap now because the X version is out). 

If you can find both locally and can try them out...that would be ideal.

I'll have to ponder this decision...

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. A built in Dell speaker and cheap earbuds (only the right one works) will drive you nuts.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I'll have to ponder this decision...

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. A built in Dell speaker and cheap earbuds (only the right one works) will drive you nuts.

The ws series from audio technica sound good but are very uncomfortable. I think you should try Chc Silverado.

I think there is a mod you can do to the HD 400 series that makes them incredibly bassy.

The ATH-M50's are almost twice my budget.

They're $20 more. Plus shipping obviously.

EDIT: There's also the Straight-Cable option on that page which is $10 less I think.

I snooped around and I found these... Any objections?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/1245be942092d1a4/index.html

They're more of a portable can than everything else discussed, and aren't super comfortable. Should have the bass you want, though.

I think there is a mod you can do to the HD 400 series that makes them incredibly bassy.

Yes, merely involves opening the headphone and removing some paper tape. 439's are good to mention due to the removable cable if OP can find them within budget (eBay maybe?). :)

I think you should try Chc Silverado.

Not super available in Canada within budget.

He's in Michigan? lol

Why do I automatically think everyone is in Canada?  :wacko:

Yes! CHC Silverados! 

I thought the silverados are more for rock and not the best for wub wubs. I've never listened to them personally though.

I thought the silverados are more for rock and not the best for wub wubs. I've never listened to them personally though.

The low mids/upper bass has a reverb effect that is indeed good for rock, but they are fairly bass heavy as well. Definitely a warm bassy colored sound that makes some audiofeelz scrunch their nose.

• 2 months later...

I picked up some skull candy smokin buds 2 for about $30 in a best buy and they have been great for me and they do emit extra punchy bass.  I really like the sound from them and think they are a decent ear bud for music listening, especially for the price and how easy it is to find if you happen to live near best buy.. 

on the other hand, if you can wait for something to be delviered and want to order something online, I'm almost certain that there could be other, better options available.  I've read many raving reviews about the soundmagic E10 noise isolating headphones and first learned of them on the LTT forums.  Or, I guess they're earbuds really..  Anyway, alot of people on amazon were saying that these eabuds sound as good as $100 ones but I have yet to test that claim, or try $100 earbuds for myself for that matter..  :unsure:  I just felt they were a worthy mention..  

good luck :)

edit: oh wait I think I meant to post this in the thread right next to this one about $30 eabuds.. for serious..  I would love to check out some of those $100 earbuds..