In Search for New Headphones

MuffinsOfGump

Hey everybody, I am looking for new headphones for gaming, movies, and music. I am a bass head so bass is important. Budget is 200 CAD.

Audio technica ATH-M50

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

Audio technica ATH-M50

What's different between the ATH-M50's and the ATH-M50X?

What's different between the ATH-M50's and the ATH-M50X?

As far as I know, the only difference is that the ATH-M50X has a detachable cable.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

Those are way out of my budget

No they are not. They have a version that is $150.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

No they are not. They have a version that is $150.

Can you send me a link to it I cannot find it :(

The best ones for what you are looking for I would say are the m-50s. They lean more on low mids than actual bass, so they will make things sound warmer not necessarily bassier. The good thing about these headphones though is they can take equalization up the ass, if you need to boost bass. By this i mean they do not distort. Beyerdynamics dt770s, start to distort at a certain bass boost level.(I own 3 pairs because they are my favorite headphones) sony's 7506's also have this problem. Other ones that do not distort are sennheiser's and shures, but they aren't very bass heavy. 

but hmm, you could just go for the smiley face eq curve and get some BEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

snipped

Well, yes, headphones that are already bassy (particularly deep bass) will clip sooner than rolled-off ones if you apply some ham-fisted EQ curve.

Audio technica ATH-M50

^ This. I just got mine for around $80 used on ebay. They have IMHO hands down the most accurate sound for pretty much anything in the price range. And accurate everything, from bass to mids and highs it IMHO does over or under do anything. I like bass but I do not like over done bass like so many headphones seem to have these (to me) have perfect bass. I've seen them for $99 on sale at http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50

Here's a good review done by mkbhd.  

i laugh, and cry with all these people suggesting ATH M50
seriously get DT 770 or DT990
i have m50 and seriously they are not THAT great

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

The Sennheiser HD 5XX series is legendary. Get one of those if you like open headphones that are the most comfortable you'll ever feel. I don't even WANT to take these off. =P Great sound overall, probably best for the price. I have the HD 598, but the 558 and 518 are just as amazing for the price. There is a very good bass that isn't overwhelming but doesn't go unnoticed.

I love StarCraft

Intel i5 4670 @3.4Ghz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 970 @ 1542Mhz - 120GB Kingston SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - Gigabyte B85-H3D - 8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston RAM - Azza Toledo 301 - SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech G400s - Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate - Sennheiser HD 598 - Zalman Zm-mic 1
 http://www.last.fm/user/thalandros 
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=76561198044810844

So I have finally narrowed the search down to four headphones. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, the ATH M50, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, and the Sennheiser HD 595. Which one of these?

So I have finally narrowed the search down to four headphones. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, the ATH M50, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, and the Sennheiser HD 595. Which one of these?

M50 is overrated, the COP is not as good as the DT series so not worth it unless you need the portability, and the 595 is outdated so I would choose a 518 or 558 for a Sennheiser but for me, hands down the DT990 wins. 

• 1 month later...

So now, I need the cheapest place to buy the DT 990 Pro's. Can you guys help me find them?

So now, I need the cheapest place to buy the DT 990 Pro's. Can you guys help me find them?

'Murica.

Have you considered a used or "open box" pair? 

'Murica.

Have you considered a used or "open box" pair? 

Not really, would that be worth it?

Not really, would that be worth it?

Totally. They're very durable headphones, so a used pair isn't a big issue if you get it cheap enough. There's some "Open box" sellers on eBay, but I suspect they are actually new pairs, since the one I got was brand spanking new

Totally. They're very durable headphones, so a used pair isn't a big issue if you get it cheap enough. There's some "Open box" sellers on eBay, but I suspect they are actually new pairs, since the one I got was brand spanking new

Can you link me a couple if you don't mind?