Tablet for University?

I'm considering getting a tablet for Uni as I'm about to build a desktop to replace my aging laptop, which only has about an hour of battery on a good day despite a new battery. I'm currently looking at 3 different ones, but I'm wondering if I need one at all.

I have a HTC Inspire 4G with a 4.3" screen and while I like the idea of a 7" tablet, I'm not sure it would benefit me/replace my laptop as well as a 10" would. I'm currently considering the 7 and 10 inch versions of the Galaxy Tab 2 as well as the Nexus 7.

I'd use it for youtube/movies when I'm relaxing and a replacement for all my bulky books in lectures and whatnot. 

Prices are weird 'because Australia' so don't worry about that too much if that's what your advice would be on. I'm just after user experiences with the different sizes (both would be amazing) and general suggestions on which one. 

If your going to uni then maybe look into getting a new laptop so you can move it around with you. I did try to use an iPad for some classes but I my rather using my laptop for classes and everything else.

I used my iPad for text books and it worked great. It being 4:3 is fine for textbooks as the textbooks were kind of weird when I had them in my Nook tablet because of the aspect ratio. It is definitely great for videos but the aspect ratio is wonky if you're watching a 16:9 movie. I would still recommend having an actual laptop because that would be ultimately more important. If anything consider getting a one of those laptop/tablet convertibles or maybe see if Microsoft is going to release a Surface with Haswell to boost battery life. I love what the Surface Pro offered but the battery was the killer for me. If the batter was better I probably would have bought it :P

Honestly if you can wait a month or 2, there's probably a new version of the Nexus 7 in the pipeline that should be worth the wait.

I have a Nexus 7, great tablet, probably a bit small as a "book replacement". If I was in your position I'd consider buying a cheap Ultrabook or a "Thin and Light" notebook, it would make taking notes much easier.

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

i had a TF-300T when i was still in university, it was a horrible idea, for the price of the $500 tablet, id say go with he cheapest possible laptop as you can, because you going to build a system, spend money youd spend on a tablet and get a cheap laptop and invest more in the system taking notes on a tablet even with the asus keyboard dock sucks. i have been out of collage for a year and my tablet just collects dust on my nightstand, 

University = Lots of writing => I'd actually suggest a Surface (with either Cover), just for the included MS Office. Of course you could also get Google Docs or other free alternatives on other devices, but still - tablet with a keyboard! Or simply get a laptop  :D

University = Lots of writing => I'd actually suggest a Surface (with either Cover), just for the included MS Office. Of course you could also get Google Docs or other free alternatives on other devices, but still - tablet with a keyboard! Or simply get a laptop  :D

This. I sometimes find myself wishing I had a Surface Pro so that I could write/draw things, and use the camera on the back.

I'd say try to get a cheap used iPad 2 or 3 that can still be jailbroken. They've got really good battery life, you can get spare parts off ebay, the aspect ratio is better for reading and the resale value higher.

Imo, a 7" is too small for Uni and 10" Android tablets as well as Windows Pro ones are too expensive most of the time.

If you've got a proper pc at home, then you won't really need a notebook with a physical keyboard. You can just as well take a few quick notes in google docs, sync it and let Word correct the spelling mistakes when you get home. At least that's how I usually do it.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Look, I am going to express my opinion: Taking notes with a touch keyboard is no fun.

So in my opinion you should either get a laptop/ultrabook. Or you can have your tablet and buy the Windows Surface RT or Windows Surface Pro. They are pricey but they come with a keyboard called touch cover. (It's a physical keyboard despite the name :P )

The Surface Pro is really a desktop in tablet form because it can actually use desktop applications like Word.

Look, I am going to express my opinion: Taking notes with a touch keyboard is no fun.

So in my opinion you should either get a laptop/ultrabook. Or you can have your tablet and buy the Windows Surface RT or Windows Surface Pro. They are pricey but they come with a keyboard called touch cover. (It's a physical keyboard despite the name :P )

The Surface Pro is really a desktop in tablet form because it can actually use desktop applications like Word.

The Touch Cover is the version for the Surface without physical buttons, the Type Cover is the one with buttons. Also take a look at the Asus Transformer series which you can attach and keyboard both extends the tablet's battery and adds a great keyboard

Well, I've seen friends that are very happy with the Note Tablet's handwriting recognition (comes with the S-pen stylus) and it's cheaper than the surface pro. If you don't mind dealing with a somewhat reduced office experience (not by much though), that tablet might suit your needs. It's 10-inch, has keyboard addons of course and has good handwriting recognition. Also, Samsung's tablets do actually benefit from their "windows", which let you open something like a browser or calculator window over whatever you're doing at the moment, which may be very useful.