Gamers more educated than the people who mock them.

jmaster299

well i think its not so much that gaming makes you more intelligent but that more intelligent people just tend to like video games.

im sure theres a psychological explaination why that is but anyway thats my take on it. i dont think you can game yourself smart but that if you are generally a smart person chances are you like gaming.

maybe like in my case as i like to of myself as intelligent you like gaming because you dont have to think that hard for change or maybe you like being challenged by a game or maybe you enjoy a good story like a lot of intelligent people do while reading books i dont know but basicly i think gaming doesnt make you intelligent, intelligence makes you game

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Guys dont foget that Educated != Inteligent .

Am doing a research project for my english class and I chose gaming effects as a topic. This is just great.

=

Am doing a research project for my english class and I chose gaming effects as a topic. This is just great.

I hope you read the comments in this thread. The study is shite. Don't use it as evidence for gamers being smarter.

Basically, Twitch funded this study to "once and for all eradicate this maligned view of our community". They had explicit biases going into the study, which always makes for bad science. The study was not published in a peer-reviewed journal, but sent around news websites, which is typical of questionable science like this.

An issue I have with the definition of gamer being "...anyone who has played a game on a digital device in the last 60 days" is that this study was conducted as a simple online survey (and we all know how reliable those are). The odds of people reliably remembering if they've played a game in the last 60 days are pretty bad. How are you supposed to reliably remember if you've played 50 days ago, or 70? And it's just really vague, not taking other demographic factors into consideration. The sample was only 1227 US citizens, no statistical methods were used to analyse the data, it was not subjected to the peer-review process as it was not published in a science journal. There was no justification of the sample size or any sampling biases. The graphs in the report for this study are oddly scaled to imply a bigger difference than there really was.

There is so much that could have been done in this "study". They didn't consider the wealth or any other factors that may actually explain the data. This study is pure crap.

Also, they don't give us the actual questions, which is usually provided in psychology studies that involve surveys like this. The way questions are phrased is very important, and commonly manipulated.

I hope you read the comments in this thread. The study is shite. Don't use it as evidence for gamers being smarter

I will not use it as evidence to proof that point but to support my claim that gaming have effects on children that may be positive or negative.

=

I will not use it as evidence to proof that point but to support my claim that gaming have effects on children that may be positive or negative.

I updated my post with a more detailed criticism of this study.

This study is not sufficient evidence for any difference between gamers and non-gamers.

Really? The internet can provide me the education I need? 

What the fuck am I doing in medical school then. INTERNET, VALIDATE ME AND GIVE ME THAT GODDAMN MD! 

Korea loves eSports 

Korea has a high IQ. 1st if you don't count a certain SAR.

Well that proves it. 

In all seriousness , this study is flawed and I wouldn't go flaunting it as factual data.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

This study is also balls and needs to replicated a few dozen times across multiple demographic groups under controlled and uncontrolled growth environments. 

Guise plz, learn 2 science. For our sake. Nothing worse than seeing dodgy research (ahem vaccines cause autism) and having people latch onto it like truth and refusing to listen to the cold, hard facts. 

Why wouldn't they be? The majority of gamers isn't the one made up of bro-gaminers posting wacky comments all over the Internet.  ;)