What's wrong with the Noctua NH-D14?

rtizzer

Everybody on newegg seems to say the D14 doesn't have a PWM fan? I'm not quite sure what this means, if my impression is right, this means it ahs a 3 pin fan not a 4 pin fan? If it does then how does that affect it?

It doesn't say on their pages, but if the provided fans aren't PWM, then they're 3-pin, yes. That being said, I have the cheapest Noctua cooler, and both the fans on that one are PWMs, so if the top tier cooler doesn't have PWM, I'd be surprised. How it affects performance isn't that big of a difference, it'll have just as good max performance, but it might be a little louder at any lower RPMs than it would be otherwise (and not as energy effective). 

the Noctua NH-D14 is a 3-pin fan kit, both the NF-P12 and NF-P14 are 3-pin fans.

the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 is a 4-pin PWM fan kit, both the NF-P12 PWM and NF-P14 PWM are 4-pin fans,

but will not attach to any other platform other than the 2011 LGA. you'll have to order the secure2 kit to attach

the SE2011 kit to say a 1155/1366/AM2/AM3.

only difference between the 3-pin and PWM (4-pin) fans is how the fan control system is implemented.

3-pin through voltage control and 4-pin through cycle percentage of the on/off modulation.

airdeano

PWM allows control of the fan speeds. Its quieter and more efficient. Get the SE2011 one with the PWM fans

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Nocua lists all this on their website so you can get the correct model numbers for what you want. 

Your Motherboard should Use either Voltage or PWM to contol CPU fans, so i wouldnt worry about it.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Included in the box are 2 Ultra Low Noise Adapters also that will lower the rpm fan speed. When I had mine I just left the fans on 100% all the time because they are really quiet anyways but after you get done OCing you could always through the ULNA's on if you want.

CPU-[i5 3570k-4.6ghz at 1.33v]  GPU-[4gb Zotac GTX 680 1126 core 6800 mem]   MOBO-[Gigabyte Z77 UD4H]   PSU-[Corsair TX 650]   RAM-[2x8gb DDR3 1333 GSkill Ripjaws X]   Case-[Corsair 550D (2xNoctua NF-F12, 1xNoctua NF-A14 intake, 1xNoctua NF-A14 exhaust)]   CPU Cooler-[Noctua NH D14]   Boot Drive-[Crucial m4 256GB SSD]   Game Drive-[500GB Western Digital Caviar Black]   Storage Drive-[2.5" 500GB Western Digital Scorpio Black]   Sound Card-[Asus Xonar DG]   Optical Drive-[Lite-On IHAS-124]  Monitor-[Dell U2312HM] Keyboard-[CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-Brown Switches] Mouse-[Logitech G400] Speakers-[Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX]