Time to buy a Wii U?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22565945

EA stops making games for Nintendo Wii U

Games giant EA has revealed that it currently has no games in development for Nintendo's Wii U console.

Despite being a launch partner for the gaming device, EA said it had no developers working on future titles.

Nope. Almost all  external development studios said they will no longer support Wii U. So if you don't like Mario....

Lmao, this takes the cake man, EA totally just gave the middle finger to Wii U.

Tried to overclock to run Frostbite? EA: Nah screw that, let's just dump them once and for all.

lol

Shame to see nintendo getting boycotted , not long before they will go the same path as atari :(

Interested in Business and Technology

Shame to see nintendo getting boycotted , not long before they will go the same path as atari :(

their 3ds is still getting quite a bit of support. and to be honest has the best handheld games out right now. esp. platformers and such.

hopefully nintendo gets a chance to turn things around and make the wii-u more profitable in america. i know quite a few people in japan have it. and there are much more jap. only games for the system.

They really should have seen it coming though,

I think it's admirable as all hell that they stick to the principle that gameplay is the most important part of gaming, but honest, when you're sitting next to microsoft and sony, you have got to know that the graphics question is going to come up.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I could rant about this for days. I really dislike Nintendo's attitude and direction - but I'll refrain. :)

Here is the problem I have with the Wii U. Well the main problem.

If you ask your 72 year old grandmother to play Wii Sports with you and hand her the Wiimote, she might very well accept your offer and try to play with you. She'll probably be terrible and not have a clue about what buttons to press or whatever, but she'll be interested in giving it a go because it'll be a laugh and the learning curve isn't impossible for her. She'll have great fun, and will probably laugh at the mistakes she makes.

Now offer for her to play a game with the Wii U controller. Now try to convince her to. Try to explain to her why it's so interesting to play a video game on the television by controlling it on a second, smaller television. Now try to explain to her what all of the on-screen buttons and icons do and how to operate a touchscreen interface. She'll probably get things wrong, and feel that it's more of a chore than it is fun. She'll not enjoy herself much, if at all.

The Wii U was always a bad idea in my opinion.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Kind of sad Nintengo is probably going to die. They've made soo many good games :(

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Nope. Almost all  external development studios said they will no longer support Wii U. So if you don't like Mario....

well i do like mario :) probably one of the only things worth the money imo.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Rather upgrade my PC some more than buy a console unless I can find a NES with the original controllers and games :)

There's a used book store here that sells the Original NES for around 60 bucks with two controllers. Last I saw they had about 20.

Only the devs that have their games published by EA or develop in house at EA, says that it won't be on WiiU because the WiiU sucks.

The rest, are all happy and exited with the WiiU. The difference, is that EA calls the press every week, to get someone to say bad news about WiiU, so that the console looks bad to people.

Beside who gives a damn? Let's say you really want to play a EA game, that's fine... usually people have a second console, or better yet, a PC to play them. So getting a WiiU you loose nothing. And it should not be ruled out of people decision of buying a console.

I could rant about this for days. I really dislike Nintendo's attitude and direction - but I'll refrain. :)

Here is the problem I have with the Wii U. Well the main problem.

If you ask your 72 year old grandmother to play Wii Sports with you and hand her the Wiimote, she might very well accept your offer and try to play with you. She'll probably be terrible and not have a clue about what buttons to press or whatever, but she'll be interested in giving it a go because it'll be a laugh and the learning curve isn't impossible for her. She'll have great fun, and will probably laugh at the mistakes she makes.

Now offer for her to play a game with the Wii U controller. Now try to convince her to. Try to explain to her why it's so interesting to play a video game on the television by controlling it on a second, smaller television. Now try to explain to her what all of the on-screen buttons and icons do and how to operate a touchscreen interface. She'll probably get things wrong, and feel that it's more of a chore than it is fun. She'll not enjoy herself much, if at all.

The Wii U was always a bad idea in my opinion.

The WiiU isn't targeted at the elderly. A new console, it's a new direction.

Just like the next XBox will be more of fancy media center, console for everyone with Kinect, then a serious hard core gaming console. It's just a change of direction.

The Wii wasn't targeted at the elderly either. But as a result of the Wiimote, it was accessible and even attractive to the elderly - or at least considerably more so than competing consoles. Once you have targeted a specific market with a product, intentionally or otherwise, it is the height of foolishness to abandon that new market entirely with a succeeding product. It breeds consumer dissatisfaction and more immediately important for a company means you have a smaller group of people potentially interested in purchasing the console or associated products.

A change of direction can be good or bad, and change is necessary to prevent monotony and spur innovation. However, changes made in the wrong direction can be just as bad if not worse than no changes at all. And unfortunately for Nintendo, they've both made many changes in the wrong direction and failed to make changes where change was desired or even necessary.

They have the talent and finances to create a new generation of innovation in video game design, gameplay and hardware. I believe that they opted to ignore that talent and waste those finances on a half-realised idea for a console.

Quite disappointing. Part of me is hopeful they will prove me wrong and turn things around, but every other part of me believes they have made a massive mistake from which they will fail to recover. 

I am sure Nintendo did their research and probably saw it was a very niche market. It might look big, because it's talk on the news.. but if you count ho many stories are about it... and I mean DIFFERENT stories (not the same one on multiple sites), it's very little. Even it's it's 100k... not worth it. Beside the WiiU supports Wii controller. And I am sure they will be games (like a Wii Sport type of game) that works as first player with it. Call of Duty on WiiU support the Wii controller (it supports all controllers), and super well for that mater. I am quiet impressed for the limited controls. Although, I don't see elderly playing CoD.

I really want Nintendo to survive but I'm not willing to buy any of their newly releases stuff so... Hmmm yeah, classic consoles all the way :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

the Wii U is a joke, 350 for what is pretty much a HD wii, im actually surprised EA still did this, Nintendo good job, i wonder who's going to buy them,

The Wii doesn't have the gamepad.

The PS4 is a PS3 that fulfill all the empty promises of the PS3, down to all the features announced initially that never came to be come on the console.

So, Sony is not better.

And Microsoft, I don't think people will continue to be willing to cash out a fortune on XBox Live Gold, except it's absolute die heart fans. And seeing that the console comes with Kinect. It looks like that the next XBox will be a media center, but be more like a  Wii type console, but from Microsoft. Of course, you'll have Microsoft push on hard core gamers first.. but look at the XBox 360... the big switch that occurred in it's mid life. I think it will continue with this gen.

So no mater what side you are on, and who you criticizes, one is not better than the other.

You're correct, that specific market may not count for much. But because it's not been made with that target in mind, other groups may be less likely to buy one.

Anyone I know bought a Wii for one of two reasons - either they bought it because they love Nintendo games, or they bought it because it was brilliant fun with friends and or family. Why would the latter group have interest in the Wii U when it isn't as good for what they want?

ill honestly probably get one for christmas but because i want some of the titles that are already out like zombieu and mario and monster hunter and warriors orochi 3 hyper. if you dont like the already released titles and nintendo first party games you shouldnt be getting a wii u

Alright guys, here me out. As a huge Nintendo fan I was incredibly disappointed with the Wii U.

That being said, it's still more powerful than either the PS3 or 360, albiet only slightly, but any first party mainstream Nintendo games to come out for it are pretty much guaranteed to be amazing, as always. So even if for just those, the console's worth picking up at some point.

Here me out now... getting passed that, I've been thinking. Maybe the Wii U coming out when it did wasn't such a bad idea. The PS3 and 360 pushed the standard life cycle of 4-5 years to 6-7 years. Now we all know 4K TV is on the horizon and exponentially dropping in price. My HOPE and wishful thinking of a plan that I want Nintendo to secretly have is that the Wii U will only live out a 4-5 year life while the Next Xbox and PS4 (hopefully) have a 7+ year life. Now imagine with 4K TV being a solid platform in late 2016 moving into 2017, Nintendo releases their next console, capable of 4K resolution while still stepping up the graphics capabilities. Nobody would see it coming if they keep it a well enough secret and they would dominate for a while.

Thinking of a Zelda game in 4K hyper-realism graphics is orgasmic...