Max Intel i7 3770k working temps?

I got an H100 and have my prosessor overclocked to 4,2 Ghz with a boost feature. My max temps under 100% load is 70-74 C. Should i be able to overclock to 4,4 Ghz?

You might wanna check your voltages. You're not on auto overclock are you? Pretty much every 3770k should be able to do 4.4ghz.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I got an H100 and have my prosessor overclocked to 4,2 Ghz with a boost feature. My max temps under 100% load is 70-74 C. Should i be able to overclock to 4,4 Ghz?

Try 1.25V CPU VCORE. Never use auto overclocking utilities, you're better off doing it manually. At around 75 degrees many CPUs will begin to throttle, meaning that they will sacrifice some performance in order to keep their temperatures sustainable. Good luck.

Tjmax is 95C I believe. However I would recommend you stay under 85C at the most. Also I really don't recommend you take the auto overclock route. You're much better off doing it the real way.

go back to stock speeds and see how low you can set your CPU vcore using offset. Once it becomes unstable you can start to up the voltage and freq.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Anything over 85C and the CPU will start throttling performance to protect itself.

Tjmax is 95C I believe. However I would recommend you stay under 85C at the most. Also I really don't recommend you take the auto overclock route. You're much better off doing it the real way.

go back to stock speeds and see how low you can set your CPU vcore using offset. Once it becomes unstable you can start to up the voltage and freq.

Why go back to stock speeds? He wants a 4.4GHz overclock, he might as well lower the voltage from there.

Anything over 85C and the CPU will start throttling performance to protect itself.

not true. It will not throttle until at least 90-95. However running your CPU at a constant 85C will make it degrade faster.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Why go back to stock speeds? He wants a 4.4GHz overclock, he might as well lower the voltage from there.

Because thats how you overclock. You dont just say "I want to hit 4.4 so Im gonna start from there". Overclocking is much more time consuming. Too many people take the lazy route and end up with unstable machines.

the point of finding out the lowest voltage you can go with at stock is so you can draw a freq/vcore graph and find out when pushing for higher overclocks requires too much voltage. That way you can find the sweet spot for your chip where you can apply the lowest amount of voltage with the highest possible overclock. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: double post, my bad

Because thats how you overclock. You dont just say "I want to hit 4.4 so Im gonna start from there". Overclocking is much more time consuming. Too many people take the lazy route and end up with unstable machines.

the point of finding out the lowest voltage you can go with at stock is so you can draw a freq/vcore graph and find out when pushing for higher overclocks requires too much voltage. That way you can find the sweet spot for your chip where you can apply the lowest amount of voltage with the highest possible overclock. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: double post, my bad

Almost all 3770Ks are completely capable of 4.4GHz, there's no point in going back to stock unless it's a high overclock.

And if it's unstable, stress testing programs like OCCT will show it. You're wasting your time finding the lowest stable voltage at stock speeds if you're not going to use stock speeds to begin with.

Almost all 3770Ks are completely capable of 4.4GHz, there's no point in going back to stock unless it's a high overclock.

A important pat of overclocking is characterising your CPU i.e. understanding how it behaves. This was especially important back in the Core2/Phenom II days when overclocking was harder than just upping the multi and calling it a day. I still encourage people to take the long route. Its more rewarding, and at the end of the day you will understand more about your system. Do no underestimate the importance of finding out how your chip behaves at stock.

And if it's unstable, stress testing programs like OCCT will show it. You're wasting your time finding the lowest stable voltage at stock speeds if you're not going to use stock speeds to begin with.

Wrong again. also I wouldnt recommend you use just OCCT. Often times Prime95 will pick up errors that OCCT wont and vice versa.

not true. It will not throttle until at least 90-95. However running your CPU at a constant 85C will make it degrade faster.

I said "over 85C". Depending on the quality of the silicon on the die, it might start throttling itself at 85 or higher. I also did not say to run it at a constant 85C. Even so, it's the combination of both high heat and high voltage that degrades a CPU's life faster.

I said "over 85C". Depending on the quality of the silicon on the die, it might start throttling itself at 85 or higher. I also did not say to run it at a constant 85C. Even so, it's the combination of both high heat and high voltage that degrades a CPU's life faster.

Right sorry, misunderstood you there. And yes it is the combination of voltage and high temps that degrade a cpu.

I got an H100 and have my processor overclocked to 4,2 Ghz with a boost feature. My max temps under 100% load is 70-74 C. Should i be able to overclock to 4,4 Ghz?

There's more to overclocking than just the temperature. Your particular CPU may simply not be capable of running over 4.2Ghz.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

Thank you so much for all the answers! Really appreciate it! I think I am going to read more about overclocking and do it the manuel way. That will probably also give me better temps!

Final result became 4,4 Ghz with 73 C at max load

I think 90 degrees under prime 95 load should be the point where you abort the test. The 8k FFT on prime95 usually produces the maximum temperature.

That still seems quite hot for 4.4ghz with a h100, I know i7's run hotter but if my i5 does 4.4 max temps of 76c with a hyper 212 I would hope the h100 could do a better job than that (thats with 30c ambient).

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)