Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force or ASUS Z97 Deluxe

Go to solution Solved by dragoon20005,

I been using MSI parts for quite a while 

look at my MSI board I am using in my profile

it still running without any issues although much slower in Windows 7

MSI board have a fair share of bad boards but generally never go wrong with them

as mentioned before all Z97 board can OC but unless you want to get the highest clocks 

the MSI will serve you well

Hi, I've never build a PC before as I've been primarily a mac user. Now that my Macbook Pro is dying, its time to make the switch, so I am building my first PC.

I was initially going to get an ASUS Z97 Deluxe NFC/WLC because I could get it at a discount, but its still expensive. So my question is: am I better saving $200 and getting the GA-Z97X-SOC Force + a better graphics card, or just going with the ASUS Z97 Deluxe NFC/WLC?

I am hoping to make a primarily gaming computer, I intend to overclock, air cool and eventually Crossfire whichever GPU I get. Below are the 2 alternatives motherboard setups.

ASUS Z97 Deluxe NFC/WLC setup

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($409.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-DELUXE NFC/WLC ($400.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($225.00 @ CPL Online) 
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Toxic Boost 2GB  ($269.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Total: $1442.00

GA-Z97X-SOC Force setup

PCPartPicker part: list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/479zFT

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($409.00 @ CPL Online) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($277.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($225.00 @ CPL Online) 
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($499.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Total: $1549.00

Being new to this, I've probably missed something very important, but thats why I'm seeking help :) Also if you would recommend a different motherboard entirely I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: The i7 and overkill ram is engineering 3D modelling programs that can utilise it. Sorry probably should have mentioned this in the beginning.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($285.00 @ CPL Online) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($95.00 @ CPL Online) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($459.00 @ Mwave Australia) 

Total: $1117.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

If all you are doing is game an i5 and 8GB of RAM is enough

Do not buy any of these motherboards.

The soc force is for extreme overclocking aka features you will never need aka waste of money.

Deluxe is waaaaay expensive.

All you need is 8 gigs of ram and an i5 for gaming but if you have the money,by all means, get 16gigs and an i7.

But you can get a motherboard for ~$150 that has all the features you need.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

If all you are doing is game an i5 and 8GB of RAM is enough

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in the description (and have now edited it) but the ram and i7 are for the engineering applications that can utilise multithreading etc.

As for the motherboard, what are the benefits of the MSI over the Gigabyte or Asus, other than the obvious $100 saving?

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in the description (and have now edited it) but the ram and i7 are for the engineering applications that can utilise multithreading etc.

As for the motherboard, what are the benefits of the MSI over the Gigabyte or Asus, other than the obvious $100 saving?

There aren't really any benefits of the Gigabyte/Asus over the MSI, unless you are doing LN2 overclocking or something 

Z97 board usually perform the same

the 100 price difference is for the features that come with the board

if you don't need them, then no use paying more for unused features

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

But you can get a motherboard for ~$150 that has all the features you need.

In that case, what are the features that i should be looking for? (or the link to something that can explain it if you know one :) )

When making my past selections I was basing it off of recommendation by friends and features such as: 2 way SLI, 2 way Crossfire, Ram greater than 2400MHz capable, long life capacitors, LGA1150, z97, and enough ports for HDDs, fans, etc.

Also, the over kill ram and i7 are for engineering applications :) (I edited the description at the top because I forgot to mention it xD)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming

if you still want a board with all the frills of an expensive board but at a lower price

take the above mobo

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97G45_GAMING.html#hero-overview

look at the specs in the link above and see if it fits your requirements

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

In that case, what are the features that i should be looking for? (or the link to something that can explain it if you know one :) )

When making my past selections I was basing it off of recommendation by friends and features such as: 2 way SLI, 2 way Crossfire, Ram greater than 2400MHz capable, long life capacitors, LGA1150, z97, and enough ports for HDDs, fans, etc.

Also, the over kill ram and i7 are for engineering applications :) (I edited the description at the top because I forgot to mention it xD)

You mentioned some of the most common features from a motherboard. A $150 motherboard has all that.

I'll give you an example.

Gigabyte z97x ud3h BK http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xud3hbk

This motherboard has everything you need.Very solid.

By giving 100 dollars more for the soc force,you are just spending money for the same features +some features you won't need like onboard buttons for LN2 overclocking Or 4-way SLI(i assume you are not so crazy for 4 cards xD)I hope you get my point.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

You mentioned some of the most common features from a motherboard. A $150 motherboard has all that.

Gigabyte z97x ud3h BK http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xud3hbk

By giving 100 dollars more for the soc force,you are just spending money for the same features +some features you won't need like onboard buttons for LN2 overclocking Or 4-way SLI(i assume you are not so crazy for 4 cards xD)I hope you get my point.

that is US price

if it was auzzy price it goes up to 233 AUD

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xud3hbk

same board but higher pricing

the board i suggest is cheaper and similar to gigabyte

that is US price

Yes,this was just an example. Still an excellent choice.

Damn Australia with high prices. I feel you,same here If not worse.. 

that is US price

Thank you for you help, I'm very new to this, so I'm defiantly looking at features that I don't need. From this i'd say that the ASUS is out, its to expensive and the benefits don't out way the costs.

The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK looks promising, but the price difference is only $40, and the differences seem to be Intel LAN instead of Qualcomm, no additional 4 Pin and fewer fans. Though the 168 hours of testing seems nice. I defiantly don't need the all of OC features of the SOC Force, but seeing as I'm planning do some over clocking, they could come in handy?

The MSI looks like a good option though it seems to have everything I need, and is a fair bit cheaper.

I been using MSI parts for quite a while 

look at my MSI board I am using in my profile

it still running without any issues although much slower in Windows 7

MSI board have a fair share of bad boards but generally never go wrong with them

as mentioned before all Z97 board can OC but unless you want to get the highest clocks 

the MSI will serve you well