Planning a new gaming build

Pwnwaffles

Hey guys, I just started a new build from the bottom up, as my last PC ist from 5 years ago (embarassing I know :D).

So far I've bought a new case (NZXT Phantom 410) which I am absolutely in love with, and a new PSU (Corsair GS700) which I am also quite satisfied with.

The one problem I have is choosing a processor. I definitely want to go with Intel, and I had originally picked the i5-3570k, but then I heard about Intel bringing out the Haswell microarchitecture in a few months. Do you guys think it's worth the wait? (I'm not exactly in a hurry here, my laptop will at least keep me content for a while)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

As you say, you're not in a hurry, so there's no need to 'panic buy' right now. If you can and want to wait for Haswell, then go ahead and do that. Haswell should have 10-15% performance increase, lower power, lower thermal output over Ivy Bridge, so it should be better value than what you can currently get.

Well I would suggest waiting the 2-4months for Haswell, it looks like Intel has made a lot of improvements though most of which are from power consumption. Even if you wanna get the system ASAP, I would high recommend you take the wait. You will probably get better value for your money and have a slightly more futureproof system

Thank you guys so much for the great answers! I think I'll probably wait then, haha. As far as I can tell the prices will be around the same area as well right? So if I were to get an equivalent to the 3570k it shouldn't cost much more than 200 bucks?

As far as I have read, no additional work has been done on the power consumption for Haswell. They save that improvement for the next generation (Broadwell). I agree with the speculations though: the new CPUs won't have above 15% more performance than the current generation. So there is little point in waiting for them for that particular reason. Why you should wait until mid-2013 is because the current generation of chipsets (7-series) will be the last one based on the socket LGA 1155, as Haswell will be on LGA 1150. In other words: You will never be able to upgrade your CPU in the future if you buy a motherboard now (except with the i7 3770K which is very close to the 3570K so there would be no point).

And yes, I believe pricing will be similar.

So I just read on Hexus that Intel doesn't want to continue in the desktop processor business after Haswell?! Can anyone confirm this? I personally don't think it'll actually happen, but ya never know..