Facebook Overhauls Android App For Emerging Countries

Facebook's Android app now consumes 50% less data and is 65% smaller to accommodate bandwidth and device limitations in emerging countries.

A HUGE WALL OF TEXT INCOMIIIINNNGGG!

Facebook has connected more than 1.2 billion users across the globe, and now the social network has shifted its focus to the next 5 billion -- many of whom reside in emerging markets with varying network connections and basic mobile devices.

To make its Android application more accessible worldwide, the social network sent a team of engineers to Africa to gauge how the app performed, Facebook engineering manager Alex Sourov wrote in a blog post.

"We purchased several different Android handsets to test the latest version of the Facebook app -- and the testing process proved to be difficult," he wrote.

"The combination of an intermittent, low-bandwidth network connection and a lack of memory space on the devices resulted in slow load times and constant crashes. We even burned through our monthly data plans in 40 minutes."

Over the course of the team's visits, Facebook worked to improve the Android app's performance, data efficiency, networking, and application size. In the end, Facebook was able to reduce start times by more than 50%, data usage by 50%, reports of slow or failed image loads by 90%, and the overall size of its Android app by 65%, the company said.

Slow start times on old devices plagued the app's performance, Sourov wrote, particularly on single-core devices. The company also wanted News Feed stories to load quicker for users. Changes it made included deferring feature initializations until after startup and fetching News Feed stories earlier to allow for more time to set up connections and download.

Facebook also encountered obstacles in improving data efficiency since data in developing countries is not only expensive but also tedious to purchase, Sourov said. The team's three-step solution included using alternative compression formats for image transmission, loading images at a resolution that devices could handle, and fine tuning the process used to cache and reuse images.

"Interacting with photos is an important part of the Facebook experience, but it takes a sizable amount of data to download them," Sourov wrote. "If we could optimize the download size, we could improve data savings and perceived app performance."

Facebook said it also invested in improving the efficiency and reliability of its networking stack, since it struggled to perform in regions with intermittent networks. These updates included switching to OkHttp, a networking stack open-sourced by Square, and fine tuning image pre-fetching algorithms.

Last, Facebook honed in on the size of its Android app. "The most popular mobile devices in Africa have little disk space available, which is a significant barrier to installing app upgrades," Sourov wrote. "This means that people in developing countries often use older versions of the app that don't have up-to-date features."

Facebook used Google Play's ability to upload multiple APKs for different Android OSes and screen resolutions, which helped reduce the size of its Android app, he wrote.

Read more from the source: http://www.informationweek.com/software/social/facebook-overhauls-android-app-for-emerging-countries/d/d-id/1278740?piddl_msgid=224527#msg_224527

IF YOU ARE USING THE NIGHT THEME PLEASE HIGHLIGHT THE TEXT BECAUSE I CAN'T GET IT FIXED ON MY SIDE

Editing the post so it can be more readable (did i spell that right?). Also sorry if this already has been posted.

Editing the post so it can be more readable (did i spell that right?). Also sorry if this already has been posted.

highlight everything

press "text button color"

press "Automatic"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

"limitations in emerging countries." aka USA :D

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

highlight everything

press "text button color"

press "Automatic"

Made everything how i want it to be ;)

Made everything how i want it to be ;)

people with the night theme cant see anything..... :|

Can you change the text format? I can't read it in Dark Theme.

Can you change the text format? I can't read it in Dark Theme.

I am trying to get it fixed, night theme is bugging on me right now.

sees grey text on grey background....

I now look like TC's avatar....

say what

Facebook's Android app now consumes 50% less data and is 65% smaller to accommodate bandwidth and device limitations in emerging countries. That line is everything you need to know.

Facebook's Android app now consumes 50% less data and is 65% smaller to accommodate bandwidth and device limitations in emerging countries. That line is everything you need to know.

i had changed my avatar and wanted to see what it looked like when i commented xD so i said something random

i had changed my avatar and wanted to see what it looked like when i commented xD so i said something random

Awesome, totally hasn't to do anything with the topic.

Awesome, totally hasn't to do anything with the topic.

i know, my apologies