A gaming laptop for business?!

Hello forum,

I am currently a high school student aiming to start a company; this (in my scenario) means I need to pitch ideas to larger institutions in order to acquire investments and partnerships.  Unfortunately, I am in the dilemma of searching for a laptop that adequately suit my needs.  I know many people here are highly intelligent and knowledgeable, and I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give.  

The most important aspects would be:
Design (Portable, not necessarily light)
Screen Resolution (For productivity and programs)
Output options (USBs and HDMI for projectors)
Battery Life

Power (Enough to run light photoshop use and some 3D rendering in Cinema 4D)

I am not so interested in:
Gaming

Storage capacity

Price (allocated about 2500)

I've looked at the MSI GS60 3K as well as the Razer Blade (2014), but those have extra power that shortens battery life, and I'm not sure where to look next for great design and enough power.

Baseline Macbook Air for presentations (light, very long lasting, great design, 9+ hour battery), and a decent desktop for when you are at home.

Thanks, and apoligies for the extremely unprofessional username, my friend made this account for me.

With very high end laptops battery life is always a major issue. Asus recently presented a 4k gaming laptop, which would more than accomodate your need for resolution, but again, the battery won't last all that long and it's pretty expensive. It seems to me what you need is just a generic laptop with a 1080p resolution and a good cpu.

This might be what you are looking for.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks, but I would preffer a device with newer components, the 650m is a little bit dated.

Thanks, and apoligies for the extremely unprofessional username, my friend made this account for me.

lol

if you want, you can ask one of the mods nicely if they will change it to something more appropriate :)

if they are in a good mood they will most likely do it for you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lol

if you want, you can ask one of the mods nicely if they will change it to something more appropriate :)

if they are in a good mood they will most likely do it for you.

Thank you, I will be sure to do that.

The best laptop I could find that ticks all those boxes is the samsung ATIV 8 (whith 8870m) or the upgraded model with the 750m and haswell. Large battery (9 hours, and doesn't throttle to), great display, good build quality. the only problem is it can be hard to find these days. there is a revised model with a 750m

here is a review of it (by the way this is a great website for looking for laptops)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-8-Touch-880Z5E-X01-Notebook.102303.0.html

amazon (should be able to find it cheaper though)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-15-6-inch-Touchscreen-Notebook-Processor/dp/B00DMT9YEE

this is the new haswel version (if you can find it, also great, in fact it's even better, just hard to find, you could check ebay)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-ATIV-Book-8-870Z5G-Notebook.114298.0.html

there is also this list

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Multimedia-Notebooks.98608.0.html

other laptops are the razerblade pro 14 (870m). has better battery life than the larger version.

The macbook retina 15inch with 750m is a great option (bit pricey, but has great battery life, great display, excellent build quality, and you can easily install windows on it anyway, but they may soon update to the nvidia 800 series, so you could wait). unless you have a compelling reason not to go with the mac, then I would buy it now (remember the 750m model, not the integrated graphics).

If you don't mind 17 inch laptop then this they have alot of different storage and graphic versions, or go this for 15 inch.

Well the first question worth posing would probably be whether a desktop for gaming and a notebook for presentations wouldn’t be a better choice for you, so two separate devices. after all a desktop will give you better per dollar performance, and desktops are generally a lot more upgradable. Where as gaming laptops usually aren't too great as actual laptops, since they are usually quite heavy, loud and usually don't have a very good battery lifespan, when compared to laptops that have been made for mobility.

If you are sure you want a gaming laptop here are two options:

http://www.amazon.com/G750JZ-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IAACWH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403369392&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+g750jz

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-DominatorPro-890-Upgraded-Dominator/dp/B00IT16B14/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403370455&sr=1-12&keywords=msi+gt70+dominator++pro

I hope this helps.

For your needs, a MacBook Pro 15' defiantly sounds like the best option. Best battery life of it's class, perfect for all the applications your looking to use, retina display is twice as good as 1080p and the high end model comes with a dedicated gpu for light gaming when you have down time. It's sleek looking and professional as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions,

Well the first question worth posing would probably be whether a desktop for gaming and a notebook for presentations wouldn’t be a better choice for you, so two separate devices. after all a desktop will give you better per dollar performance, and desktops are generally a lot more upgradable. Where as gaming laptops usually aren't too great as actual laptops, since they are usually quite heavy, loud and usually don't have a very good battery lifespan, when compared to laptops that have been made for mobility.

If you are sure you want a gaming laptop here are two options:

http://www.amazon.com/G750JZ-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IAACWH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403369392&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+g750jz

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT70-DominatorPro-890-Upgraded-Dominator/dp/B00IT16B14/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403370455&sr=1-12&keywords=msi+gt70+dominator++pro

I hope this helps.

I have a desktop already, its just that I'm not going to be home much anymore and I will need to work on the go and to present powerpoints.  I use dropbox to keep my projects synced.

Sorry I meant to add this into my original post but it seems I was a bit too slow.

both of these have battery life of Ca. 3-5h of light usage, (browsing the web or watching films).

Enough ram for gaming ps usage and 3d rendering where as I personally feel the Asus's 24gb is overkill. Both are quite heavy the MSI weighing 3.9kg vs 4.8kg of the Asus.

Both use SSD's for Windows and games, while the Asus will be slightly faster since it has two 128gb SSD's in a RAID 0 array.

And both have 1tb of storage, for music, films and the likes.Both have 1080p screens, where as if you wish to go above 1080p you'll be better off going for a non gaming laptop.

As a heads up the 8gb vram vs. 4gb vram make no difference in real life situations.

And both should have fast enough cpus for what ever you throw at them.

Both have USB 3.0 and HDMI, where as the Asus is one of those very few windows laptops to have a thunderbolt port.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I can't really say much to it.

Both seem to have a relatively good 2.1 sound systems.

Both of them have the best laptop graphic card available ATM. So if you do use it for gaming when you aren't working, it should more than suffice.

Cooling wise the Asus should be better. Linus reviewed the XS72 a while back and IIRC was very happy with the noise performance. Gaming laptops usually run really hot but from what I heard the Asus holds up really well, from what I've read GPU Max temp was around 78c, while the MSI went up to90c+ without the turbo boost function of the cooler (a button you press which turns the fan speed up to 110% which means it gets very loud).

Well I think a realistic question would be how much gaming do you do (as you stated in your first post gaming isn't that important to you, but you also gave the topic the title gaming laptop for business. how ever if what you mean is you want a laptop that performs well, but isn't really per say a gaming laptop, then that may not have been the best choice in titles.), because from what I've read so far It may make more sense to get a normal laptop with an i7 CPU and lots of ram and a slightly slower GPU. (if you go for a 870m which is still plenty you can save 500$ and still get a solid laptop http://www.amazon.com/G750JS-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IEV85OU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403380482&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+g750+870m and if you go for a laptop that isn't specifically designed for gaming you'll be able to find something that'll most likely fit you even better.)