Fortron HEXA 500W

biggiepk

Hi guys.

I was wondering can i use this psu Fortron HEXA 500W for i5 3550p + r9 280 sapphire?

And i wanted to buy a new graphic and this one was cheap but i don't know if my psu can hold it.

PC is all on default, and i am sorry for bad english, it isn't my native language.

thanks guys

• CPU Intel® Core™ i5-3550 3.40Ghz
  • GPU / ( will be R9 280)
  • MOBO MSI H61M-P21 (B3)
  • RAM 1x4GB 1333Mhz Kingston
  • HDD Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm
  • CASE Thermaltake Dokker
  • PSU Fortron HEXA 500w
  • OS Windows 8

What do you think guys?

I wanted to put 4gb of ram more, and to buy this new graphic, if psu can hold it. Later on i will buy new hdd, and some better cpu cooler, just to change intel one.

Would it run? Yes. Is it a good idea to buy it? No.

It will be fine temporarily but better get something better for this machine.

Hi guys.

I was wondering can i use this psu Fortron HEXA 500W for i5 3550p + r9 280 sapphire?

And i wanted to buy a new graphic and this one was cheap but i don't know if my psu can hold it.

PC is all on default, and i am sorry for bad english, it isn't my native language.

thanks guys

Yes it will be enough to power this system at stock. What is your budget and where are you buying your power supply from?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

"HEXA are ok but nothing exceptional. Mediocre is the word I'd use." - Phaedrus2129 on Overclock.net

I wouldn't use them, but I imagine it would work. 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=341

Here's a review of the 400W HEXA, which should give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

Where are you located by the way? The HEXA 500W only has an input voltage of 200-240V.

I live in Bosnia, that is country on Balkan. I already own this PSU but not the GPU, and thank you for answer.

I don't know why i should not buy it, its great graphic, really strong, should play all games on full hd without any problem.

My budget is like 250 euro, and parts in my country are way expensive than in usa or canada, but i wanted to buy graphic and 4gb ram stick becouse this 4gb isn't enough now.

I live in Bosnia, that is country on Balkan. I already own this PSU but not the GPU, and thank you for answer.

I don't know why i should not buy it, its great graphic, really strong, should play all games on full hd without any problem.

My budget is like 250 euro, and parts in my country are way expensive than in usa or canada, but i wanted to buy graphic and 4gb ram stick becouse this 4gb isn't enough now.

The R9 280 is not a bad choice for a graphics card. I would go for it.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Good choice, but I would take a new PSU first.

I really don't have money to take a new one, and i would not upgrade it until maybe new year, so i am really concider about it. I know it should power r9 280 but how long that is the question :(

But you have money for the 280? o.0

I don't work, i am 17years old so money from my parents is what i get. I have 250 euro total. I play at full hd and if i buy cheaper graphic it won't be good, and i5 will bottleneck. The r9 280 cost 212 euro, and stick of 4gb ram cost 37 euro. There is no money for new power supply if u get me now.

I found some msi gtx660 ti and i will myb buy it tomorrow. Its used but in good con. and cost only 175euro.

I would take a cheaper card and a cheap PSU.

Gachr man i don't understand you at all. I have this PSU Fortron 500W, and if i buy cheaper card i don't need new psu becouse this one can hold all cheaper card without problems. I will buy gtx660 ti or r9 280 i don't wanna anything cheaper, becouse i record gameplays for youtube, and i play on full hd man.

It's not about that it will handle cheaper or more expensive cards, it's not very good to run such rig on it anyway.

Gachr man i don't understand you at all. I have this PSU Fortron 500W, and if i buy cheaper card i don't need new psu becouse this one can hold all cheaper card without problems. I will buy gtx660 ti or r9 280 i don't wanna anything cheaper, becouse i record gameplays for youtube, and i play on full hd man.

It's not about that it will handle cheaper or more expensive cards, it's not very good to run such rig on it anyway.

It will be fine to run it as he won't be overclocking and is not putting the power supply at full load. This overclocked 3570K with the gpu on full load takes 305W which still has headroom for overclocking the gpu. I am pretty sure he will be using less than 305W (less than 60% load) and this power supply apparently meets the 80 PLUS standard (as it suggests on their site but could not find it on the 80 plus website so won't strongly agree on this). If he isn't putting his power supply on the edge by having high loads (ex. overclocking gpu and cpu) on it, he will be able to run it.

It will be fine to run it as he won't be overclocking and is not putting the power supply at full load. This overclocked 3570K with the gpu on full load takes 305W which still has headroom for overclocking the gpu. I am pretty sure he will be using less than 305W (less than 60% load) and this power supply apparently meets the 80 PLUS standard (as it suggests on their site but could not find it on the 80 plus website so won't strongly agree on this). If he isn't putting his power supply on the edge by having high loads (ex. overclocking gpu and cpu) on it, he will be able to run it.

Thank you sir. It is 80 PLUS it says that on the box of the psu :)

I do have a concern though. The Hexa 500W only has 2 12V rails delivering 18A each. In the case of the Hexa 400W, the PCIE connectors are power by a single 17A rail, and I'm guessing the same is true of the Hexa 500W.

At the end i bought the MSi GTX 660 Ti 2GB and its great.