I need a new router

darth_bubbles
Go to solution Solved by adstak,

What are these, how much do they cost, and how easy are they to set up?

Put very simply. They are a plug that you have near your router and your computer that act like a bridge. 

You then plug Ethernet cables into them and the data from the Ethernet cable travels through the cables in your house giving you an "almost" plugged in connection. 

Its a good middle ground between WiFi and plugging in and its what I ruse myself and would strongly recommend over WIFi

I have found a link which may help you see what they are and if they are good for you --> http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

You can get them quite cheap on Amazon but I would recommend going for a netgear one as I have found theirs to be the best.

Also don't get pulled in by the 1gbit claims as these are simply the Ethernet ports on the plugs and not the connections they can support over your cables as the 1gbit connection just bottlenecks on the after this so they are a waste of money.

I would recommend going for a good netgear 500mbit powerline ( You can also get them with plugs on so you don't lose a plug on your wall ) 

I get around 170 - 190mbit connections on a 200mbit internet service so as you can see they are worth it. Just the other day I downloaded Battlefield 4 on origin and was getting 22/23 MBs download which is pretty dam good. 

So, I am getting a new computer soon. The only good place to put it will be in the basement. I was originally going to get a WiFi repeater but apparently they're crap so I'm looking for a good router. I am currently using the cheap Shaw one that they give you. It's in the middle of the house. Under 100 CAD would be great. I measured and it needs to reach at least around 25 feet or more at good enough speed stream 720p youtube video. And that's going through 2 floors. Is this possible? I hope it is! Thanks!

Have you looked at or considered using powerline adapters? 

I use these and to be honest have never looked back 

Have you looked at or considered using powerline adapters? 

I use these and to be honest have never looked back

Put very simply. They are a plug that you have near your router and your computer that act like a bridge. 

You then plug Ethernet cables into them and the data from the Ethernet cable travels through the cables in your house giving you an "almost" plugged in connection. 

Its a good middle ground between WiFi and plugging in and its what I ruse myself and would strongly recommend over WIFi

I have found a link which may help you see what they are and if they are good for you --> http://www.techradar.com/news/networking/powerline-networking-what-you-need-to-know-930691

You can get them quite cheap on Amazon but I would recommend going for a netgear one as I have found theirs to be the best.

Also don't get pulled in by the 1gbit claims as these are simply the Ethernet ports on the plugs and not the connections they can support over your cables as the 1gbit connection just bottlenecks on the after this so they are a waste of money.

I would recommend going for a good netgear 500mbit powerline ( You can also get them with plugs on so you don't lose a plug on your wall ) 

I get around 170 - 190mbit connections on a 200mbit internet service so as you can see they are worth it. Just the other day I downloaded Battlefield 4 on origin and was getting 22/23 MBs download which is pretty dam good. 

So Basically, electric will transfer internet throughout the sockets? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I think, usually its through the ground line of the electric wiring where the data goes over...

Yes basically :)

Will that still work with power extension cords too? Having lots of stuff hooked in that only socket.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Will that still work with power extension cords too? Having lots of stuff hooked in that only socket.

It doesn't work as well however you can get power line adapters with plugs built into them like this one to solve the issue --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1403516251&sr=8-13&keywords=power+line

Sorry for it being UK as im from there but im sure they will do them for your plugs too :) 

It doesn't work as well however you can get power line adapters with plugs built into them like this one to solve the issue --> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1403516251&sr=8-13&keywords=power+line

Sorry for it being UK as im from there but im sure they will do them for your plugs too :)

Thanks man, we do have the same plugs standards + 240 volts.

hmm.. Thanks, But the reason I want wifi in my room upstairs is so I can use my phone up there.

Wait a minute! I can keep my current router where it is, put a powerline adapter to it, and connect my computer to in from downstairs! Thanks! But will I get low ping? 'Cause I'm gonna be using it for gaming

Even better, I found one that is 550 mbps AND also has a plug to provide wifi connection! Woop woop

Even better, I found one that is 550 mbps AND also has a plug to provide wifi connection! Woop woop

Yes I was going to mention that. There is many power line adapters with WiFi repeaters in them. Its the future :)

Yes I was going to mention that. There is many power line adapters with WiFi repeaters in them. Its the future :)

Super cool! Thanks!