GPU temp overheating while load (almost instantly crash)

Vempire
Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

If that is actually what's wrong I don't think there's much you can do short of trying thermal adhesive with a clamp and letting it sit overnight. That would be last resort measures because that stuff is permanent. How long have you had the card? EVGA offers a three year warranty on most of their cards. 

that warranty was probably voided by the conductive tim he used previously.

Is there any fix I can do about it?.

If your card has indeed warped, which seems to be the case, you need to find a way to get the cooler to be touching the gpu at all times (for obvious reasons), you can try with a round or two of electrical tape around the card and the cooler and squeeze it as thight as possible. if that doesn't work, try the same trick with the case in a horizontal position. If that doesn't work either, try placing some sort of holder under the card and resize it until it fits perfectly. If none of that works, your last resort would be to glue the card in with thermal adhesive as JamGorby said, but as he said, it's permanent. If THAT doesn't fix it, you're screwed period.

Hi guys, I have some problems with my GPU, it´s overheating ALOT under load almost instantly even with the fan at max, but it´s fine on idle around 40c on a clean w7 (it is around 60c on idle on my other SO).

rig:PSU - coolermaster silent pro 850w 80 plusgpu- evga gtx 660 sccpu- I5-2310ram- 8gb Kingston hyper running at 1333hdd- 1tb ssd- 128gb 

I cleaned everything, there is no more dust the fan is working, and changed the Thermal compound (Im using artic silver 5).

Im not sure anymore what can do this, Just look how fast the temps skyroket while opening the witcher 3 (Im altabing before it crash at 98c) I used to play all my games with no problem, is something bad on my gpu or something else?.

Images

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/06/18/43a.png

http://postimg.org/image/iuvciyd69/

VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0K6CuS6s0o&feature=youtu.be

Any help is apreciated :).

edit: FIXED with this little guys, now my idle is around 33c and load 60c

20140618_115100.jpg

Thanks!.

Any help is apreciated :).

Does your case have any airflow at all?

Could I ask that you get GPU-Z and monitor it with that? I don't think it's physically possible for temperatures to climb that quickly, unless you simply don't HAVE the heatsink seated/not seated properly. There has to be SOME heat dissipation somewhere, and I'm not seeing it with that, even though temps are plummeting when you close the game. So again, try GPU-Z, if the problem persists, please report back to us and we can try to resolve the issue with various troubleshooting methods.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Something indeed is amiss. Temps climbing that quickly can kill that card faster than throttling can save it. I would suspect the TIM. I would redo it and use something else. AS5 is a bad choice for the ACX because it's too thick and the cooler is a low pressure cooler (meaning it doesn't put a lot of pressure on the die). I doubt that is what is causing your temps to be so bad (maybe you used too much, too little, did the blob method which wont work on a low pressure cooler, etc.) but it will still generally give you less than optimal temps. Plus, EVGA can choose to void your warranty if they find out you've used a conductive paste. 

Something indeed is amiss. Temps climbing that quickly can kill that card faster than throttling can save it. I would suspect the TIM. I would redo it and use something else. AS5 is a bad choice for the ACX because it's too thick and the cooler is a low pressure cooler (meaning it doesn't put a lot of pressure on the die). I doubt that is what is causing your temps to be so bad (maybe you used too much, too little, did the blob method which wont work on a low pressure cooler, etc.) but it will still generally give you less than optimal temps. Plus, EVGA can choose to void your warranty if they find out you've used a conductive paste. 

I agree. Use something like the Arctic MX-4, I'm fairly sure it's non-conductive. My buddy gave me his tube after replacing the paste on his GTX 570, which did improve temps, I've been tempted to change my own thermal paste on my 770's since.

I think there was a forum post on this a long time ago. Let me try to find it.

edit: Nailed it. It's more extensive than I thought.

Edited by Quest

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Yes, MX-4 is non-conductive and would probably work much better on a low pressure cooler. Anything that spreads easy seems to do well with them. Thicker stuff, not so much. I now have Gelid GC on mine with good results but I got it really warm first by putting the tube in a sandwich bag and putting that in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. Otherwise, Gelid GC spreads like cold peanut butter on a chalk board. Not the easiest stuff to use. 

I have a 120mm fan on the front (intake), a 120mm at the back and a side fan 220mm (intake but Im testing it right now with the case open so no side fan).

Here is what gpu-z shows: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/06/18/43a.png

About the heatsink, I verified it 3 times already, that´s why I don´t really know what to do now,as for the TIM, problem is I only have avalible AS5, Manhattan and coolermaster brands where I live.

I used the blop method (a rice size blop) and the line method, both result on this temps.

I think it HAS to be something about the TIM, but Not really sure what can I do.

I have a 120mm fan on the front (intake), a 120mm at the back and a side fan 220mm (intake but Im testing it right now with the case open so no side fan).

About the heatsink, I verified it 3 times already, that´s why I don´t really know what to do now,as for the TIM, problem is I only have avalible AS5, Manhattan and coolermaster brands where I live.

I used the blop method (a rice size blop) and the line method, both result on this temps.

I think it HAS to be something about the TIM, but Not really sure what can I do.

Try using a latex glove or even a sandwich bag and spread a thin even layer carefully with your finger. Blob method with conductive TIM can actually be dangerous on Kepler based GPU's because too much can squeeze out onto the little interconnects on the sides of the die. Not too mention, as stated earlier, the cooler may not even be applying enough pressure to spread the TIM very far in the first place. This is probably the safest way I can think of to use AS5 on these coolers. 

Also, don't knock the cooler master stuff. I have a tube of the stock stuff that comes with their heatsinks and it isn't bad at all. Good luck. 

Try using a latex glove or even a sandwich bag and spread a thin even layer carefully with your finger. Blob method with conductive TIM can actually be dangerous on Kepler based GPU's because too much can squeeze out onto the little interconnects on the sides of the die. Not too mention, as stated earlier, the cooler may not even be applying enough pressure to spread the TIM very far in the first place. This is probably the safest way I can think of to use AS5 on these coolers. 

Also, don't knock the cooler master stuff. I have a tube of the stock stuff that comes with their heatsinks and it isn't bad at all. Good luck. 

I have a coolermaster tube right here, I could apply that one with the layer method and see what happen, also, Just saw a place where I can get the mx-4, but will take a full week.

I agree. Use something like the Arctic MX-4, I'm fairly sure it's non-conductive. My buddy gave me his tube after replacing the paste on his GTX 570, which did improve temps, I've been tempted to change my own thermal paste on my 770's since.

I think there was a forum post on this a long time ago. Let me try to find it.

edit: Nailed it. It's more extensive than I thought.

Tom's has a nice article comparing different types of TIM and, somewhere in it, they talk about mounting pressure and how soft and hard pastes should be used. Interesting read. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

I have a coolermaster tube right here, I could apply that one with the layer method and see what happen, also, Just saw a place where I can get the mx-4, but will take a full week.

I would try the cooler master and spread it. Let us know how it worked out. 

The GPU isn't under load in this picture. Since you have two monitors, put GPU-Z on your non-gaming one, and open up Witcher again. See if temperatures spike just like you've seen before. If not, you're fine. If they do, switch with the Cooler Master paste and try again. If that doesn't work, get the MX-4 and do your thing, hopefully it works out.

The GPU isn't under load in this picture. Since you have two monitors, put GPU-Z on your non-gaming one, and open up Witcher again. See if temperatures spike just like you've seen before. If not, you're fine. If they do, switch with the Cooler Master paste and try again. If that doesn't work, get the MX-4 and do your thing, hopefully it works out.

Even then, 46c is not a very good idle temp considering his case cooling. My GTX780 is sitting at 25c right now with the fan at 29%. Granted, I'm an A/C freak but I still think 40+c is unusually high. 

The spike there is when it was under load (same temps as the ones on evga presition).

Will try with the Coolermaster TIM and report back!.

Even then, 46c is not a very good idle temp considering his case cooling. My GTX780 is sitting at 25c right now with the fan at 29%. Granted, I'm an A/C freak but I still think 40+c is unusually high. 

I suppose. My 770's idle at around 32-36c, although my house is a bit on the warmer side. 46c is too high for idle, even with a 660.

The spike there is when it was under load (same temps as the ones on evga presition).

Will try with the Coolermaster TIM and report back!.

Please do, we hope it turns out well. Bookmarking this thread for your sake :P

Tom's has a nice article comparing different types of TIM and, somewhere in it, they talk about mounting pressure and how soft and hard pastes should be used. Interesting read. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

Interesting read indeed. I'd like to get my hands on the Coolaboratory TIM, for sure. I've gotten to use Indigo Xtreme on some workstation computers when I did video editing and such, was impressed by that as well :)

Just tried it, it goes to 93c even faster (like in 1 sec) and the idle is about 50c, will try with the as5 with the layer method, depending on what happen I will probably buy the mx-4.

If the problem is that the heat sink is not doing preassure on the chipset, what can i do there?.

Just tried it, it goes to 93c even faster (like in 1 sec) and the idle is about 50c, will try with the as5 with the layer method, depending on what happen I will probably buy the mx-4.

If the problem is that the heat sink is not doing preassure on the chipset, what can i do there?.

Tighten the screws more?

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

Tighten the screws more?

I can´t anymore, I will just wait for the mx-4, and if that don´t work I guess I will have to buy another one.

edit: I just did something, I aplied manual preasure to the card while idle, it gone from 41c to 36c, so most likely it will be a gap, but the screws are at max hum.

it MUST be that, just tested witcher 2 with the manual preasure (with cooking gloves), it stays at 63- 64c, if I stop the preasure it ramps up to 80+ in half a second.

I can´t anymore, I will just wait for the mx-4, and if that don´t work I guess I will have to buy another one.

edit: I just did something, I aplied manual preasure to the card while idle, it gone from 41c to 36c, so most likely it will be a gap, but the screws are at max hum.

it MUST be that, just tested witcher 2 with the manual preasure (with cooking gloves), it stays at 63- 64c, if I stop the preasure it ramps up to 80+ in half a second.

Perhaps your card has warped. 

If that is actually what's wrong I don't think there's much you can do short of trying thermal adhesive with a clamp and letting it sit overnight. That would be last resort measures because that stuff is permanent. How long have you had the card? EVGA offers a three year warranty on most of their cards. 

that warranty was probably voided by the conductive tim he used previously.

If your card has indeed warped, which seems to be the case, you need to find a way to get the cooler to be touching the gpu at all times (for obvious reasons), you can try with a round or two of electrical tape around the card and the cooler and squeeze it as thight as possible. if that doesn't work, try the same trick with the case in a horizontal position. If that doesn't work either, try placing some sort of holder under the card and resize it until it fits perfectly. If none of that works, your last resort would be to glue the card in with thermal adhesive as JamGorby said, but as he said, it's permanent. If THAT doesn't fix it, you're screwed period.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just used one of these on the 4 screws closer to the chip, my IDLE temp went down to 30-36c and Load on witcher 2 around 60c, no more overheating :):

20140618_115100.jpg

Thank you everyone!.

Just used one of these on the 4 screws closer to the chip, my IDLE temp went down to 30-36c and Load on witcher 2 around 60c, no more overheating :):

20140618_115100.jpg

Thank you everyone!.

Good deal. Those temps sound a lot more reasonable.