Second monitor won't light up

simx

hey,

when i built my pc i purchased the Asus VE247 because my old monitor doesn't have Full HD. Now i want two you this monitor as my secondary monitor (not for gaming). Btw the old monitor is a HP LE2201w and it only has dvi input that's why i have to hook it up to my mbo instead of my GPU (GTX 770). And altough my pc has detected and it says it's running with intel graphics and it's powered on it won't light up and just stays black. anyone know how to fix this?

simx

why i have to hook it up to my mbo instead of my

There is your issue, the onboard DVI, HDMI, VGA, DP ports are disabled when you plug a Graphics card in and no output will be displayed from them, you'll need to plug it into the GPU

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

you cant run a monitor off of the mobo, and then another off of the gpu. unless your doing the APU+low end gpu thing that AMD is using. for your set up, unfortunately, you cant do what you want to do. u need to run both monitors off of either the gpu or the mobo. So i recommend getting some $7 adapters that can change hdmi to DVI and vice versa.

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

you cant run a monitor off of the mobo, and then another off of the gpu. unless your doing the APU+low end gpu thing that AMD is using. for your set up, unfortunately, you cant do what you want to do. u need to run both monitors off of either the gpu or the mobo. So i recommend getting some $7 adapters that can change hdmi to DVI and vice versa.

I could do both actually. For months I used triple screen on my HD 6950, now my crossfire 290's, and a single monitor off the sandy bridge chipset as extended desktop.

What I don't understand is why the old monitor can't be connected to the GPU along with the new one? a GTX 770 has dual DVI connectors like any modern graphics card I thought.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/