Blue Yeti Ceiling fan issue Pop filter resolution?

calarahil

As the headline suggests I currently use a Blue Yeti microphone. However whenever I use certain applications with my ceiling fan I get either a sound peaking sound or a sound of a duck. I was curious if I were to purchase a pop filter for example. Would resolve the issue would love any feedback I can get.

http://www.amazon.com/Auphonix-Attaches-Microphone-Desktop-Flat-Sided/dp/B00HBN6T1I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1402949196&sr=8-4&keywords=blue+yeti+pop+filter

Pop filters only stop small puffs of air - were you to blow through it, it would have no effect. Same goes for a fan.

instead, you should get a windscreen - http://www.amazon.com/Movo-WS2-Microphone-Windscreen-Microphones/dp/B00HX40OXY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1402951022&sr=8-14&keywords=mic+windscreen

Do you believe that would stop the noise? And do you think because of that filter I would need to then in turn, up the volume of the microphone I have it at near 0 to keep it barable.

I'm not a microphone expert, but I think either one would be better than a pop filter in this scenario. They'll typically decrease the pick up of higher frequencies and/or amplify the pickup of lower frequencies, but there shouldn't be a huge volume difference.

Edit: Use this video to give you an idea: 

I'm not a microphone expert, but I think either one would be better than a pop filter in this scenario. They'll typically decrease the pick up of higher frequencies and/or amplify the pickup of lower frequencies, but there shouldn't be a huge volume difference.

Edit: Use this video to give you an idea: 

Either way Shearme I appreciate the help. I currently ordered the one I linked. I wasn't sure about the other wone fitting and the one I linked had a lot of yeti responses in the review. The video was quite helpful as well. I moved my mic initially because of the USB interference I was receiving. The group of players I was talking to were using mumble and that is where I was getting the high peaking/audible sound coming from my ceiling fan so much for me having a condenser mic right. Should of dealt with something like the modmic 4.0 but I didn't want something in my face.

Either way Shearme I appreciate the help. I currently ordered the one I linked. I wasn't sure about the other wone fitting and the one I linked had a lot of yeti responses in the review. The video was quite helpful as well. I moved my mic initially because of the USB interference I was receiving. The group of players I was talking to were using mumble and that is where I was getting the high peaking/audible sound coming from my ceiling fan so much for me having a condenser mic right. Should of dealt with something like the modmic 4.0 but I didn't want something in my face.

Whatever works mayne. Let us know how it works out in the end. :)

Most def I'll record it so you can see it. Debating if I should do audio only or webcam as well. I have a Logitech C920. Got it on sale on amazon for 40 dollars or something like that pretty crazy normally goes for 100. I rarely use it  :( so maybe time to break it out show that 1080p B)

I did a video with it. I think maybe its program centered I don't know I didn't notice much of a difference on my end maybe you'll think otherwise. Also with the volume you may want it around 25 percent and if its too quiet raise it up. At 100 on youtube it was pretty loud. Also shot in 1080p.

A ceiling fan can actually cause a static interference with speakers and microphones. If the wiring is bad on your ceiling fan then it can cause a lot of bad static. How old is your ceiling fan?

Can be found on my profiIe

I did a video with it. I think maybe its program centered I don't know I didn't notice much of a difference on my end maybe you'll think otherwise. Also with the volume you may want it around 25 percent and if its too quiet raise it up. At 100 on youtube it was pretty loud. Also shot in 1080p.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Your mic is picking up a squeaking sound? I thought we were talking about wind noise this whole time...

The only way to get rid of the squeaking would be an expensive analog EQ of some sort. In other words, fix your fan. 

I also want to point out that Blue Yetis require a lot of playing around to get the audio just right. Mine picks up my minifridge motor and my pc fans. Turned the gain all the way down and turning on cardioid will help allot.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Your mic is picking up a squeaking sound? I thought we were talking about wind noise this whole time...

The only way to get rid of the squeaking would be an expensive analog EQ of some sort. In other words, fix your fan. 

Depending on the VOIP client it would yes. For example in mumble it would pick up my fan like no ones business. However with the muff it sounds the same with the fan on or off.

I also want to point out that Blue Yetis require a lot of playing around to get the audio just right. Mine picks up my minifridge motor and my pc fans. Turned the gain all the way down and turning on cardioid will help allot.

Yea see and that is where the problem really is. I have to have my gain at around 50-60 percent or else I get the electrical interferance type sound.

I started to think about it a little more. So I went to the store and I picked up a wall powered usb hub to see if the noise was coming from my case. it allowed me to turn my gain down a little bit HOWEVER, my room's wall outlets are not grounded. So that leads me to think maybe its noise coming from my wall.

So, at the moment I'll more then likely have to live with the extra sound which is the fans coming from my case. They aren't loud fans in my Fractal Design Define R4 they are NF-F12's and AF140's.

My mic though sounds okay no?

I actually use a Blue Yeti for voice acting. The lack of grounding is most likely your issue.

I actually use a Blue Yeti for voice acting. The lack of grounding is most likely your issue.

Yea which is a bummer because from what I've been told it isn't cheap to have my room electrical grounded. There are other computers within my house that are grounded electrically so I may try that. But for just simple VOIP I would say I'm okay. My mic isn't awful probably above average to be honest sound quality wise from my recording. I know the mic is great but how I sound with the mic.

Yea I believe this is case closed. I just checked my family room computer which is grounded and I was able to turn my gain down to around 20-30 percent. Where as with my room now I have to turn the gain up around 60 percent to outmatch the signal buzz. 

Yea which is a bummer because from what I've been told it isn't cheap to have my room electrical grounded. 

Well, not cheap to do it properly.  :rolleyes:

Well, not cheap to do it properly.  :rolleyes:

Yea... I mean its a bummer but I don't believe my mic is currently awful. I do have to turn down my volume suppppppppper low in the 8-12 level range within windows but I believe I come out fairly clear and the noise isn't to bad but you can hear it.