Best Sound Quality Headphone for 120 $ (hd518)

i was planning to buy a new pair of headphones i have now the razer kraken pro, and i want a headphone with a better sound quality. i was thinking about the Sennheiser HD 518 .

what are your thought ?

You may be able to pick up a pair of ATH M50s on sale for that price.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

You may be able to pick up a pair of ATH M50s on sale for that price.

He's in the Netherlands. He prolly won't and M50s are not that great. 

OP HD518 are pretty good. If you want the convenience of a headset, the Kingston HyperX headset actually sounds very good for the price but it's closed. I'd say go for the HD518 unless you can find the Beyerdynamic DT990 for a good price but it's most likely out of your price range. 

My HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset is a dream, so I recommend that ;)

(The Link is from the UK Amazon)

Sorry for terrible English, I'm Norwegian   :D

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz | Motherboard: Old MSI Thing | RAM: 2x4GB | GPU: Old Nvidia 8800 GT Card | Case: Old Antex Thing THAT IS F*CKING luod! | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 2x 80GB Western Digital | PSU: Old Blonze Plus 500W | Cooling: Stock Fans
CPU: | Motherboard: | RAM: A | GPU: | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White | Storage: A | PSU: | Cooling: A
Headphones: HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset | Speakers: Logitech Speaker System Z323
Displays: 2x BenQ 24" LED GL2450HE (on a AX Double Monitor Stand (AXM4100) | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 + Razer Manticor (and sometimes Corsair MM600)
Old/Reserve Pheripherals: SteelSeries Frost Blue Gaming Gear (Headset, Mousepad and Mouse) Webcam: Micosoft LiveCam Studio Business | Consoles: Wii + Play Station 3 + Play Station 4

I would avoid Sennheiser for headphones under $200, and I'm a big fan of Sennheiser so I'm not saying that out of nowhere. At $120, it's the ATH-M50 that you'll see recommended most, because they truly are amazing at that pricepoint. Much better than HD 518 by most standards. However, they're closed back and a bit bassy. You might also want to consider Audiotechnica's ATH-AD700x if you want open back headphones. Cheers.

I would avoid Sennheiser for headphones under $200, and I'm a big fan of Sennheiser so I'm not saying that out of nowhere. At $120, it's the ATH-M50 that you'll see recommended most, because they truly are amazing at that pricepoint. Much better than HD 518 by most standards. However, they're closed back and a bit bassy. You might also want to consider Audiotechnica's ATH-AD700x if you want open back headphones. Cheers.

What...That's pretty much the opposite. M50s are soooo overhyped. I don't like the Sennheiser sound but their 5x8 series is pretty good. 

thanks for fast response i found the Beyerdynamic DT990 for 130 euros but do i need a better sound card for that or a equilizer ?

thanks for fast response i found the Beyerdynamic DT990 for 130 euros but do i need a better sound card for that or a equilizer ?

If it is the 250 ohm one then maybe. It depends on what motherboard you have and how loud you like to listen to stuff. If it is not loud enough after trying it, you can grab a Fiio e6 and that should be fine. If it's the 80 ohm no amp should be necessary. 

Edit: Oh and the DT770 is also great if you prefer closed. It's personal preference really. They should both be around the same price. 

well i have a asrock b85m motherboard, and are the asus xonar dgx also good or better than the fiio e6 ?

well i have a asrock b85m motherboard, and are the asus xonar dgx also good or better than the fiio e6 ?

Is this the -GL or the -ITX? looks like the GL should be able to run the headphones without the amp. The itx might. The E6 should be better since your onboard dac is pretty good and the xonar isn't. 

Edit: Oh wait is it this one? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157389

If so, an E6 might be needed. It'll be better than the xonar. 

What standards might those be?

Yes thats my motherboard. but is there a big diffrence of sound quality between the dt 770pro  and the dt 990 pro both 250 ohms?

Yes thats my motherboard. but is there a big diffrence of sound quality between the dt 770pro  and the dt 990 pro both 250 ohms?

There isn't really a difference in quality, just the type of sound you'll get. 770 are closed and have a lot of deep bass, 990 are open and have more mid to upper bass.

Compared to other brands of headphones, they might as well be the same thing, with closed/open being the biggest difference.

What...That's pretty much the opposite. M50s are soooo overhyped. I don't like the Sennheiser sound but their 5x8 series is pretty good. 

They're hyped sufficiently. I own them and hardly ever use them, I prefer my HD650 but for $120, just, no. The HD518 are average at best at that pricepoint and AKG or Audio Technica's offerings are outright better...

The HD518 are average at best at that pricepoint and AKG or Audio Technica's offerings are outright better...

Right, because there's no such thing as personal preference.

Right, because there's no such thing as personal preference.

I don't know what it is with people being snarky like that on the interwebs. It comes off as sad more than anything else. But I'll try.

Sure you can always argue that audio is subjective and that's true. But you can't take that too literally, because if you do, muddy bass and general poor sound produced by beats headphones can be said to be nice because beauty is subjective and if you happen to like muddy bass and bad sound, you're just as right as anybody else. By the same logic, a picture of Auschwitz's horror scenes is more beautiful than the best of Bob Ross's paintings. If can be a legitimate opinion, and who are you to deny it? Of course, you can like HD518's more than you like M50's, and you can like Beats Studio more than you like Sennheiser HD800's. It doesn't make you "wrong", so I'm forced to admit that AKG and AT's offerings are not necessarily outright better than the HD518. Because what really is "good" anyway? What is beauty?

Perhaps we'll want to have a philosophical debate on the issues of "value" and "beauty" and follow your stream of thoughts. Until then, we're allowed to compare things, and to say that some of them are better than others.  And we're allowed to be wrong about it sometimes. I believe the M50's to be better than the HD518 based on my extensive experience with various headphones, despite the fact that I'm a bit of a fan of Sennheiser's products. But I am, unfortunately, a subjective being, and my opinion, though it is relatively educated, is still just an opinion and I'm wrong sometimes.

I hope you enjoyed my oddly humble retort. Cheers.

I thought snark on the interwebs was sad.

I thought snark on the interwebs was sad.

Don't do it, run....

I'm not a cop

Even if you were you'd still watch for a giggle, and only break it up once you wanted a go yourself.

Even if you were you'd still watch for a giggle, and only break it up once you wanted a go yourself.

Im a shit cop

I don't know what it is with people being snarky like that on the interwebs. It comes off as sad more than anything else. But I'll try.

Sure you can always argue that audio is subjective and that's true. But you can't take that too literally, because if you do, muddy bass and general poor sound produced by beats headphones can be said to be nice because beauty is subjective and if you happen to like muddy bass and bad sound, you're just as right as anybody else. By the same logic, a picture of Auschwitz's horror scenes is more beautiful than the best of Bob Ross's paintings. If can be a legitimate opinion, and who are you to deny it? Of course, you can like HD518's more than you like M50's, and you can like Beats Studio more than you like Sennheiser HD800's. It doesn't make you "wrong", so I'm forced to admit that AKG and AT's offerings are not necessarily outright better than the HD518. Because what really is "good" anyway? What is beauty?

Perhaps we'll want to have a philosophical debate on the issues of "value" and "beauty" and follow your stream of thoughts. Until then, we're allowed to compare things, and to say that some of them are better than others.  And we're allowed to be wrong about it sometimes. I believe the M50's to be better than the HD518 based on my extensive experience with various headphones, despite the fact that I'm a bit of a fan of Sennheiser's products. But I am, unfortunately, a subjective being, and my opinion, though it is relatively educated, is still just an opinion and I'm wrong sometimes.

your 2 smart 4 me, Y am jsut a forham pleb looking two raise my postarino countabeano

your 2 smart 4 me, Y am jsut a forham pleb looking two raise my postarino countabeano

its posterino u noob

also u said forham, am proud  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089