Ubuntu for Mobile is Coming!

sanyi32

I at first was very exited about this new OS (and still am)believe the problem is that it seems like everyone is making their own OS now (samsung, intel, google, apple etc.). This is a world of technology that i think they (sadly) won't be able to have any share in. This doesn't mean that it is a bad thing that they are making this OS because i think it looks stunning and I am sure that'll be installing it on my nexus 4 when a stable release is released.

BTW - at my home we have 7 PC's and they all run ubuntu (i believe!)

On my side I think this is awesome because it will give us more control over our devices if this is completely based upon ubuntu and we have as much control in the pone OS. However, on the other hand as mentionned above, it will fragment the market even more because it seems like everyone is trying to make their own OS (firefox, ubuntu, Samsung for tv's, etc.)

I'm eager to see what this project will yield us as consumers. I'm definately looking forward to their CES presentation/demonstation booth.

I think android offers enough.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

well...android IS based off of linux....so I really wonder how much difference we're gonna see between those two.

I don't know, we'll see. It will surely be better for people using ubuntu desktop. Maybe some sort of talking protocol between both and some nifty features. I don't know... We'll see I guess.

Something to remember: This is Ubuntu Mobile OS, not Linux Mobile OS. It's a business designing something that matches what they have on desktop. Their virtual press conference video got me really excited to try out one of these phones.

Wow, that would be great, if it happens I would love to try one out.

"

Min 32GB eMMC + SD""

Min 32GB eMMC + SD", that means that the galaxy nexus that they are showing off is an

Entry level Ubuntu smartphone, not High-end Ubuntu "superphone"

interesting really.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

I have high hopes for this. I just don't want to see the manufacturer of the Ubuntu phones put bloatware on. Canonical should purely handle the OS side. Last thing I want is Samsung to make a TouchWizCrap UI out of this :P

:ph34r:

well...android IS based off of linux....so I really wonder how much difference we're gonna see between those two.

I'm thinking the same thing.

I have a feeling that this isn't going to be like the ubuntu we know and love, I feel they're going to water everything down and just include basic settings...

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

I think this is very interesting, I would at least like to try it out.

But right now, I'm looking at upgrading my HTC Desire (with CyanogenMod 7.2) to a Nexus 4 (but where I live, it's not available trough Google yet).

I have a $15 dollar phone and pay $20 a month for service

phone calls only

I think mobile phones for anything else is pretty lame

I would rather do everything off my pc tyvm

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

I have a $15 dollar phone and pay $20 a month for service phone calls only I think mobile phones for anything else is pretty lame I would rather do everything off my pc tyvm

Holy shit that's a lot for service.

I pay 2€ a month and I get about 6 down 2 unlimited connection, and 100 minutes of calls + 25 text messages (I use apps, so I really dont text nor call a lot).

I have a $15 dollar phone and pay $20 a month for service phone calls only I think mobile phones for anything else is pretty lame I would rather do everything off my pc tyvm
Holy shit that's a lot for service. I pay 2€ a month and I get about 6 down 2 unlimited connection' date=' and 100 minutes of calls + 25 text messages (I use apps, so I really dont text nor call a lot). [/quote']

I get unlimited calls and internet use though so :/

I didn't mention internet because I hate it

(on all phones) lol

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Ubuntu for mobile could be interesting and I will definitely try it out on my nexus 4, however I think its unlikely that it will see much, if any, mainstream adoption.

Rig: CPU: 1x quad core potato(4.6GHz). Cooling: Iced Tea. GPU: AMD HDToaster. Motherboard: Asus "Stale Bread Extreme Edition". RAM: 2x 4GB sticks of 1600MHz celery. PSU: 650w Roborovski Hamster in wheel.  Storage: Many Floppy Disks. 

I'm using cm on my xperia, and I noticed a huge difference between this and the stock version.If ubuntu gets better, and more popular, I will upgrade to it.But for now CM is very fine.

Looks awesome :) Can't wait to try it out :)

MEH

Hmm, can't really see how they could be competitive.I mean, Windows is having a hard time, and it has Microsoft backing it up. It feels like the mobile OS market is over saturated.

I am hoping this and other things like this are the future, and by that I mean desktop capabilities built in a phone

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I hope this blows up to all most current android phones! But if it wants to compete ubuntu will need the google play store.

I am really excited about the possibilities that come with ubuntu for mobile. I have a Galaxy Nexus at the moment, so I will definitely be trying it out when released. Another thing that got me excited earlier this year(related)

I sure hope something like this becomes a reality for the Ubuntu phone. Would be the biggest improvement in mobile technology we've seen in a while.

My Rig:

• CPU: 1090T@4.1ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte 7870
  • MOBO: Crosshair Formula V
  • RAM: 8GB 1333mhz
  • PSU: 650w corsair HX
  • SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX
  • Sound card: Asus Xonar DX