Ubuntu for Mobile is Coming!

sanyi32

It would be awesome if they could get the program Wine to run on Ubuntu mobile. You could have windows programs on the go.

My rig: Cpu: AMD 8350 | Cooler: Corsair h100i with Noctua nf-f12 fans | Ram: 8gb 1600 corsair vengeance | Hard Drive: 2x 1tb wd drives in raid 1 | SSd: 128gb plextor m5p  | Motherboard: asrock extreme9  | Graphics card: amd 7850 2gb | Power Supply: ocz modular | Case: cooler master cm 690 ii          Peripherals: | Monitor: x-star 1440p | Mic: blue snowball  | Keyboard: Flashget G600  | Mouse: No name |

I love Ubuntu! I actually have tried to switch over to it multiple times from Windows, but I always ended up switching back just for the comfort of using Windows since I've been using it for so long and know my way around it a lot better. I hope that putting Ubuntu on mobile devices will make it more mainstream and accessible for people to learn and use. It really is an amazing operating system, and very well polished, it just needs a larger user base to get it more supported. It's definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion, as long as there is still a normal desktop version, unlike how Windows 8 fused the two platforms.

The most significant implication is that Ubuntu on a phone will be... Ubuntu... a full fledged GNU/Linux system on your phone. I'm interested to see how they manage the software stack differently from Android. While Android does run a variation of the Linux kernel, it doesn't run code (just-in-time compiled bytecode, etc) in the same way that your typical GNU/Linux system does, so I'm looking forward to see which approach Ubuntu takes.

I don't like how it allows webpages to automatically send notifications to you. I can see this potentially lead to spamming me with random crap I don't care about. I also think the UI is a tad confusing and if I make a wrong swipe could put me in the wrong place. Though I like the idea of being able to run linux native apps.

I don't think its going to be much different from android since they are both basically based on Linux.

=

It got my attention for sure. One more competitor on the phone market could do good. And it looks very nice and easy on the eye. I got Ubuntu on my PC so if they can match that on the phone I could be pleased with it. Lets see!

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

It looks like the push android needs to up its game and iOS is just not innovating enough to keep up ...

I am really interested in the Ubuntu Phone, or the Ubuntu OS. They are supposed to be very powerful. I like that they can become a PC as well, running a great desktop OS. They will be in solid 3rd beating Windows phone and then maybe go further... Just my opinion! I might pick one of these up!

I am really interested in the Ubuntu Phone, or the Ubuntu OS. They are supposed to be very powerful. I like that they can become a PC as well, running a great desktop OS. They will be in solid 3rd beating Windows phone and then maybe go further... Just my opinion! I might pick one of these up!
+ Steam porting to linux as well ...

and also maybe blizzard http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE0ODE

Same here! I have a Galaxy Nexus so can't wait until its available... I will definitely get it installed ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

MB: ASUS ROG Dark Hero VIII 570S

MEMORY: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x 4) @ 3200Mhz

CASE: Corsair 680x

STORAGE: 256GB M.2(PCIE) EVO 970 | 1TB Curcial M.2 (PCIE) SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850x