Sandisk vs Samsung

Vicente Gomez

For an SSD, I'm trying to decide whether to get an Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD or a Sandisk 128gb SSD. Sandisk offers 8 more gbs for a cheaper price. But I know what Samsung makes some the best SSDs. Which one should I get?

I read a test where they basically figured out that a Samsung Evo will die (in a consumer environment of course) after a similar time like an HDD......so I would go with that.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

I would go for the Sandisk, not because it's better but because I like Sandisk ;) This is not an objective response!

now comes the objective response:

10 years warranty

marvell controller (samsung uses a self-made one which is not bad but i love marvell controllers)

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

Samsung more trust worthy. Sandisk better value. I would pick sandisk because I am cheap like that.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Samsung more trust worthy. Sandisk better value. I would pick sandisk because I am cheap like that.

actually, nope ;) I feel safer with Sandisk. What's different to Samsung is, that they produce enterprise SSDs (Lightning 12Gb/s heavy IO/workload and Maximus for 6Gb/s with 4TB!!!)

you have to acknowledge, that Sandisk accumulated a lot of know how in this area and brings it over to the consumer series lately with 10 years warranty now.

My builds:

Usually the other way around for me.

Depends what Sandisk SSD, if it's the X210, go for it - it's an excellent drive and will last longer than the Samsung (and if it doesn't, it has a longer warranty. 5 years as opposed to 3). The SanDisk Ultra SSDs aren't great performing though, so stick with the X210 or Extreme IIs.

And the Samsung isn't bad either, but probably not what I would take.

If you're looking at this one http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/standard/ then run away, because it's gargabe.

I'd go with either crucial mx100/m500 or 840evo, whatever is cheaper for you.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Samsung. I love mine to bits (nerd joke).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My vote is with Samsung, based on the four systems I have using the 830, 840 and 840 EVOs.  They make their own flash, their own controller and the Magician software is easily the best I've used for managing desktop SSDs.  Plus, their prices are always very competitive....

AMD FX8350 • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z • GeForce GTX 780 + 660 Ti x3 • Cooler Master HAF X • ASUS VG248QE 144Hz LCD+GSYNC • Corsair AX860i

Logitech G19 / MX518 • G.Skill RipjawZ 1866 4x4GB • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD • WD 1TB Black SATA IIIx2 • Noctua NH-D15

If you're looking at this one http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/standard/ then run away, because it's gargabe.

I'd go with either crucial mx100/m500 or 840evo, whatever is cheaper for you.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/x210/

this one is the one to be compared to the evo...

My vote is with Samsung, based on the four systems I have using the 830, 840 and 840 EVOs.  They make their own flash, their own controller and the Magician software is easily the best I've used for managing desktop SSDs.  Plus, their prices are always very competitive....

sandisk is a flash producer as well. they build their own flash. the marvell controller has been top notch for years now and has been integrated into business products as well for a long time. SanDisk produces it's own controllers for server grade SSDs so opting for a marvell controller shows that they judge it's performance to be perfect for the targeted usage. To be more precise a lot of companies contribute to the marvell controllers including SanDisk, Corsair, Plextor, OCZ and Crucial, instead of just one. And I dislike every kind of software that wants to configure stuff for me. I want to do it myself since i know what gets changed then.

My builds: