Seagate Barracuda

Go to solution Solved by Ahnzh,

so. im about to buy new hdd for my pc. and my friend keeps saying that the barracuda from seagate are really awefull and will break after less than a year. is that true ? (I don'T exacly have the money for a wd equivalent now... ) should I wait ?

Your friend is a fanboy.

This.

Seagate had a bad production batch like 4 years ago and drives being sold for like 2 months had an increased failure rate of 25% or so. Seagate still has to fight for its reputation since then. WD had a bad RED batch lately but to my surprise they kept the damage at a minimum (Reputation). These guys who still say that barracudas (now Seagate Desktop HDD) are bad, are fanboys which refuse to look at the facts objectively.

so. im about to buy new hdd for my pc. and my friend keeps saying that the barracuda from seagate are really awefull and will break after less than a year. is that true ? (I don'T exacly have the money for a wd equivalent now... ) should I wait ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

No - they're fine.

- sincerely someone who sees the return rates

No, seagate barracuda HDDs are great. Very good price for capacity, and their read/write speeds are better than WD blues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It would probably depend on which one exactly... 

But, might want to look at different sites and compare prices.

But to answer your question, No, they arent bad. im using one right now and they are fast and reliable.

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

i've had mine for 5 years now, still going strong.

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

No - they're fine.

No, seagate barracuda HDDs are great. Very good price for capacity, and their read/write speeds are better than WD blues.

It would probably depend on which one exactly... 

But, might want to look at different sites and compare prices.

But to answer your question, No, they arent bad. im using one right now and they are fast and reliable.

No - they're fine.

thanks guys !

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Your friend is a fanboy.

Sincerely- Somebody with 4 WD drives in the house atm.

Seagate Barracudas are awesome.

Wouldn't still be around if they were crap, and think about it like this: if the expected lifespan was less than a year, why would they have warranties over a year? They couldn't afford to return every single drive.

Your friend is a fanboy.

This.

Seagate had a bad production batch like 4 years ago and drives being sold for like 2 months had an increased failure rate of 25% or so. Seagate still has to fight for its reputation since then. WD had a bad RED batch lately but to my surprise they kept the damage at a minimum (Reputation). These guys who still say that barracudas (now Seagate Desktop HDD) are bad, are fanboys which refuse to look at the facts objectively.

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

This.

thanks a lot for the more, in depth info !