MSI vs Sapphire

Vicente Gomez

I am planning on getting an r9 290 for a gaming rig that I am planning on building. Should I get an MSI 4gb or a Sapphire 4gb. The main difference is amount of fans. Sapphire is a tri x, and MSI only has two fans. But what was going through my mind was that since I am getting an MSI motherboard, the MSI graphics card will work best for an msi motherboard. Which one should I get?

They are both good brands. I personally would go with the MSI version if you want it to go with your MSI theme

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

i recommends MSI's cooler, the twinfrozer is supposed to be the most quiet one.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

dont be a sapphire peasant

post-64582-0-36236500-1402775030.jpg

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I love Powercolor, but now we must fight.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I love Powercolor, but now we must fight.

4698829-885183-little-boy-playing-with-byaaaaaa

4698829-885183-little-boy-playing-with-byaaaaaa

angryface.jpg

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Peasant???? :angry: ....you stinking swine....OP, forgive the minor disagreement between the PowerColor and Sapphire crowd...just go with Sapphire and you will be ok....(actually whichever has the better price at the time :D....except PowerColor of course... ;)

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

Sapphire master race or go for powercooler if you want to have the worst performance ever :P

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

They are both good brands. I personally would go with the MSI version if you want it to go with your MSI theme

I really dont care about the brands, all i really care about is performance

get the sapphire tri-x; best cooler currently if you tweak the fan profile

there isn't really much of a performance difference between all cards (at least nothing you could solve with some OC'ing)

go for the best cooler imho

I really dont care about the brands, all i really care about is performance

The Tri-X then :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Get the tri-x as it's a better cooler, unless you desperately want to maintain the msi/red colour scheme

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Sapphire master race or go for powercooler if you want to have the worst performance ever :P

Do not spread bollox.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

I can vouch for the quietness and effectiveness of the MSI's TwinFrozr cooler. I had a GTX 770 Lightning and it ran cool and quiet even when it was overclocked to an insane point. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Go with Sapphire because PowerColor is a stupid name :P

@Sonefiler

*runs away*

It is pretty uncreative, but not compared to the now-changed ColorPower lol

but they changed their name to Club3D and thats actually a cool name and their cards are named after cards which is pretty awesome.

After PowerColor i recommend them

@Vincente Gomez this is just a fact, the PowerColor PCS+ has the highest clocks at 1040Mhz, thats like a 10-11% boost from stock! And it runs quieter and cooler than the Gigabyte one

Do not spread bollox.

learn to identify sarcasm i was refering to a previous post that a guy said powercolor users are master race also sarcasm because you are a little slow (also sarcasm)

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Go with Sapphire because PowerColor is a stupid name :P

@Sonefiler

*runs away*

Big Boss, use the cardboard box! Big Boss? Big Boss?! BIG BOOOOOOSS!!!

metal-gear-solid-box.gif

On-topic. I think both are great from what I heard. If you want to keep with the MSI theme, then get the MSI one. Otherwise, get whatever's the cheapest and works well. In other words, don't get a reference R9 290.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

PowerColor R9 290 OC 4GB PCS+  - 2.5 slots

Sapphire R9 290 OC 4GB Tri-X - 2 slots

MSI  R9 290 Gaming OC 4GB Twin frozor 2 slots

i love GPUs with backplates and run quiet i've seen the sapphire one in my friend's rig in action i dont see the sound diffrence in msi or sapphire