Ping and ISP

Norwegiantweaker

Hello.

Ive always wondered if i upgrade from 25/5 to 40/10 will i get lower ping on US located servers ( LOL CSGO WOW etc. ) ?

or is there no real way to get better ping to these servers  ?

Hello.

Ive always wondered if i upgrade from 25/5 to 40/10 will i get lower ping on US located servers ( LOL CSGO WOW etc. ) ?

or is there no real way to get better ping to these servers  ?

What kind of ping do you get now?

Fiber will lower latency.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

What kind of ping do you get now?

Fiber will lower latency.

Fiber is not available where i live. i get around 100-180ms 

Damn that is pretty bad.

Can you log into your router to see your line statistics?

I reckon you have a really high decibel reading on the lines attuention.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

theoretically a higher bandwidth won't lower your png unless you're really capping it.

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

Damn that is pretty bad.

i can but i cant find "line statistics" 

i live in the EU, so theres a rather long line to get to the server im playing on. when i play on EU servers im at 20ms im just wondering if it's worth paying the price for the max my isp will deliver 

i can but i cant find "line statistics" 

i live in the EU, so theres a rather long line to get to the server im playing on. when i play on EU servers im at 20ms im just wondering if it's worth paying the price for the max my isp will deliver 

Wait... you are trying to connect to USA servers from EU?

You would need a massive connection to enable you to play at such a distance... try around 500mbps.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

You would need a massive connection to enable you to play at such a distance... try around 500mbps.

huehue yeah thats not gonna happend unless i move next to the ISP. thanks for replies anyway ill live with my 125ms on US servers

higher download speeds wont do jack shit? there is a long distance from Norway to the us, the signal has to bounce all over the place and takes some time to reach it's destination thus you get high ping, moral of the story? don't play on us server.

fiber might have reduced latency a teeny weeny bit but i don't think it will make that much of a difference, server location is 80% of what matters.

higher download speeds wont do jack shit? there is a long distance from Norway to the us, the signal has to bounce all over the place and takes some time to reach it's destination thus you get high ping, moral of the story? don't play on us server.

fiber might have reduced latency a teeny weeny bit but i don't think it will make that much of a difference, server location is 80% of what matters.

Really?

@helping

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

still find it weird i have friends with 20ms on us servers 

I think 100-180ms is the best you will get. I get the same range from Germany to US servers. On local servers I get around 17ms, sometimes even 9ms.

Also do not forget that package drop is higher with more hops and will cause more lag. Something the ping does not show! And all this is independently from your type of connection.

And even if you get like an magically 0ms connection to your ISP. You still would have like 80-160ms ping to US servers...

Am on Sky Fibre and my ping on WoW is 110-118 ms but it seems ok I can even pvp and win sometimes

Cry Havoc!

Damn that is pretty bad.

just so we can mark this solved, higher speeds will not lower PING ( MS, LATENCY ) in games ?

just so we can mark this solved, higher speeds will not lower PING ( MS, LATENCY ) in games ?

it wont, i'm just waiting to see what "helping" is going to say as he is some kinda networking expert apparently.

you could try unplugging your router for a few minutes or so, plug it back in and see if it finds a more stable connection.

it wont, i'm just waiting to see what "helping" is going to say as he is some kinda networking expert apparently.

you could try unplugging your router for a few minutes or so, plug it back in and see if it finds a more stable connection.

its stable. it wont budge from 123-124ms but its still annoying when playing competitive games and 1 bullet don't register ( round lost ) 

its stable. it wont budge from 123-124ms but its still annoying when playing competitive games and 1 bullet don't register ( round lost ) 

that is consoles in a nutshell, the team with the host wins because they are always 1 bullet ahead, run around a corner and you die after you get out of los because of a shitty connection and the server hasn't registered it yet.

pc's are SOOOOO much better in that regard, to me the main advantage with pc's is the servers, much more equal playing field, but again.. playing on us server.. you will always be behind the us players :P.

that is consoles in a nutshell, the team with the host wins because they are always 1 bullet ahead, run around a corner and you die after you get out of los because of a shitty connection and the server hasn't registered it yet.

pc's are SOOOOO much better in that regard, to me the main advantage with pc's is the servers, much more equal playing field, but again.. playing on us server.. you will always be behind the us players :P.

you do realise im playing on a computer yeah xD ?. and iknow its pretty bad

you do realise im playing on a computer yeah xD ?. and iknow its pretty bad

yeah i do, your comment just gave me an urge to bring it up :P.

If you already have local servers to connect to, why would you even wanna connect abroad?

The most common result of insufficient wattage is a paperweight that looks like a PC

If you already have local servers to connect to, why would you even wanna connect abroad?

Because thats how i roll. my teammates are located abroad therefor i must play abroad 

Really?

@helping

It will likely drop the ping, but that's going to be out of less traffic and through fewer local hubs. The real 'bottleneck' so to speak, is going to always be the jump from EU to US.

It could drop the ping a decent amount if the fiber ISP has a better infrastructure and superior routing or grants priority routing, but a good chunk of the ping time will be static. 

In this case a better quality connection will definitely help, but it can only do so much. 

Error: 410

It will likely drop the ping, but that's going to be out of less traffic and through fewer local hubs. The real 'bottleneck' so to speak, is going to always be the jump from EU to US.

It could drop the ping a decent amount if the fiber ISP has a better infrastructure and superior routing or grants priority routing, but a good chunk of the ping time will be static.

In this case a better quality connection will definitely help, but it can only do so much.

I disagree with you. If he is getting 20ms ping to local servers, then there is no local bottleneck. The issue is the transatlantic trip that the packets need to make which causes the ping.

OP: in command prompt, run

tracert <ip of game server>
and paste it, from there, we can see what the ping is to all the devices on the route (with some exceptions). Please note though, sub 200ms ping to a server across the world is very good.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I disagree with you. If he is getting 20ms ping to local servers, then there is no local bottleneck. The issue is the transatlantic trip that the packets need to make which causes the ping.

OP: in command prompt, run

tracert <ip of game server>
and paste it, from there, we can see what the ping is to all the devices on the route (with some exceptions). Please note though, sub 200ms ping to a server across the world is very good.

I'm speaking generally opposed to typical coax or DSL, I didn't really read OP

Error: 410

It will not affect all games, but you can try something like Leatrix Latency Fix. It was originally designed by a WoW player, and is commonly known in the WoW community, but it is in no way limited to World of Warcraft. It modifies your registry to increase the frequency packet communication between you and the server. The server itself will limit things as well, but Leatrix will at least override the pointless limits that windows puts in place. Limits that are no longer needed in the world of broadband internet and significantly more powerful CPUs in home systems.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194