Move windows 7 to another compuer?

Almostlastplace

My sister wants to build a budget desktop and I was wondering if it was possible to transfer the windows 7 installation from her old laptop to a new desktop hard drive. She's going to toss out the laptop after she gets a new one for school along with the desktop, so I might be able to use the hard drive from it in the desktop too, but I'm fairly sure windows throws a fit if you try to boot it on a different motherboard than the one it was originally installed on.

Maybe just move the whole hard drive? Not sure if that would work though. :(

Is it OEM? if so, its bound to the mobo

Diamond 5 in League :)

Is it OEM? if so, its bound to the mobo

Yes sadly it is, I have a windows instillation disk so if need be I could crack it. The current plan is to use some for of transferred or cracked windows 7 until she goes to school, because windows is usually around $15 at on campus computer store (or at least at my college it is so I can just buy it from there as a worse case scenario)

Yes sadly it is, I have a windows instillation disk so if need be I could crack it. The current plan is to use some for of transferred or cracked windows 7 until she goes to school, because windows is usually around $15 at on campus computer store (or at least at my college it is so I can just buy it from there as a worse case scenario)

wanna make a quick buck? buy a ton on there, sell emmon here or ebay.

Diamond 5 in League :)

For one, talking about that kind of stuff is against CoC. For two, laptop OS are branded type which means you can't install them into another mobo. There are slim changes that it will work with call to MS but generally they won't work.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv