Lemon Law in California, and Electronics...

meritmaster

Hi there. 

I have recently had some of the worst experiences with The Nividia corporation, and seek other opinions on the matter.

I purchased a Nivdia Shield in about December, and currently going to be on my fourth unit for the same exact problem plus more.

A month after buying it, and i mean like 32-33 days; the left hand screw, placed above the left hand trigger fell out; it fell out without me noticing it, a i could tell because the plastic it held together was now tapping, and making loud noise, when the speakers were on. ( also I buy a new shield, and i end up getting a refurb after 33 days?) 

I really didn't mind at this point, and just wanted another shield, but thankfully, Nivdia sent me out an "advanced" replacement, and it wasn't so bad; untill i got the replacement that it...

I open it up, and all looks well, but at closer examination with both shield i find obvious defects on the replacement device in which my new device didn't; it had a clunky left trigger, as it would make a loud metal contact noise after a pull, or squeeze, and the d-pad was the loudest d-pad i have heard, it also didn't appear on my original shield ( some say all shield have this, but not the first, or third one.

When i called a tech about this; they told me both were normal, and would "Eventually go away"; i knew they wouldn't, and never did. He then told me to come back later after further testing.

I kind did't like this, and thought it would lead to a bumpy RMA process the next time go around, as they might want to inspect the unit to make sure those problems exist, and that can take weeks, and sometimes a month...

So i kept both for a period of a month, and half to make sure that it would be a smooth process. 

After a while of use; i found the replacement to freeze every few hours, and it would be an annoying problem that my original shield did not have.

Then after a month, or so; the screw fell out once more! This time on the replacement they guaranteed it wouldn't happen again.

When that time came though to turn it in, i started working at a new job, and could never get to a Fed Ex in  my town, so it was kept a month longer, so i sent it back sometime in 60 days, as it was to my convenience, and to my logic; not my problem since it broke in a month. 

This time they refuse to give me a advanced replacement due to the time it took me to send back the other unit, so they make me send it in for a period of two weeks. ( do they have to spend that much time looking for a missing screw?)

They guaranteed me five days, but turned into 14, and went on with no apology. 

Third Unit comes, and it comes broken. I try console mode, and i don't get any picture; i then wiggled the HDMI cord, and it would flash on with a red fuzz on the screen; this is due to a weak, and loose HDMI port. It also has a problem with freezing, as it freezes every time you shut the case; this makes me have to restart the shield every time i close the lid.  This is in the first five minutes of using is. 

Two days passed, and the left hand screw falls out once more; i call support, but they refused to send me a advanced replacement.

When telling them about the screw, and asking them to not send me back a unit that i will have to send back again, as i hate playing this game of insanity with Nivida; they didn't say they would, or the problem would stop.

I then asked for a refund, as i don't think i am getting the use of the product that i was told i would, and wanted.

Josh from Nivdia then told me no such refund policy existed in the warranty of the product.

I then mentioned Lemon Law of California, and how it covers all electronics that do not stand up to the intended use, and warranty that the product replies.

Josh then acted like that didn't matter, and that the Nivdia policies supersede that of the California penal code; Josh

then kept saying how he can't argue about lemon law, and that's not his job, but when i asked who i could talk to about the subject, or for a supervisor, perhaps a manager, he said nothing of it, and continued on how lemon law doesn't apply here, as "You have to go back to where you bought it", this was because "We didn't take your money, or sell the product; we just made it"

He then told me how i haven't sent back the unit i have now, and that i should; i then told him i will do on my convenience, also that i can send back my unit when i wanted to, and he shouldn't tell me what to do, and he lol'ed and ended the chat.

Basically it looks like i will never get to keep a Nivdia shield, and that i'm in a endless game of slap ass with Nivdia; which i just don't have the energy to deal with.

My questions are:

Does my problem correlate with lemon law?

Am i in the wrong, and overreacting

What would you do?

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I'm pretty sure the Lemon Law only refers to vehicles but yes, there is a law where if you have to keep sending something back and it exceeds X amounts of times, then you can file it. Just not sure what the law is. (Could be Lemon Law but like I said before, vehicles.)

I don't think your'e wrong at all. If a product that you bought doesn't work and you have to do the work of sending it back 5+ times is ridiculous. Especially coming from a company like Nvidia. 

I took a Financial Literacy class just last semester and we learned how to deal with these types of bull shit returns. It said to first go to the place of purchase and if that doesn't work then go to the actual owner of the store. (If it is a big store and he is never there, mail him, call him, etc.,) If that doesn't work, then just keep going higher and higher up the totem pole. Take them to court if you must. (Absolute worst scenario.) The worst thing you can do is not do anything. Keep telling them.

I would do the above. Start small and work your way up the totem pole. 

Never purchased anything from Nvidia. The only Nvidia product I own is a GTX 660 that I purchased from Newegg.

I really do think that it is childish that they just keep sending you broken products. After all this, if somehow they got you a perfect product, I would tell them to shove it up there asses and get a refund. 

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

I'm pretty sure the Lemon Law only refers to vehicles but yes, there is a law where if you have to keep sending something back and it exceeds X amounts of times, then you can file it. Just not sure what the law is. (Could be Lemon Law but like I said before, vehicles.)

I don't think your'e wrong at all. If a product that you bought doesn't work and you have to do the work of sending it back 5+ times is ridiculous. Especially coming from a company like Nvidia. 

I took a Financial Literacy class just last semester and we learned how to deal with these types of bull shit returns. It said to first go to the place of purchase and if that doesn't work then go to the actual owner of the store. (If it is a big store and he is never there, mail him, call him, etc.,) If that doesn't work, then just keep going higher and higher up the totem pole. Take them to court if you must. (Absolute worst scenario.) The worst thing you can do is not do anything. Keep telling them.

I would do the above. Start small and work your way up the totem pole. 

Never purchased anything from Nvidia. The only Nvidia product I own is a GTX 660 that I purchased from Newegg.

I really do think that it is childish that they just keep sending you broken products. After all this, if somehow they got you a perfect product, I would tell them to shove it up there asses and get a refund. 

It matters on the state, but the one i'm in makes lemon law apply to all things; i found this on it, but you confirmed what i thought it meant. http://www.computerlemonlaw.com/rights.html

"I don't think your'e wrong at all. If a product that you bought doesn't work and you have to do the work of sending it back 5+ times is ridiculous. Especially coming from a company like Nivdia." That's what i thought, but they act like this is normal, and that i should just shut up.

"I took a Financial Literacy class just last semester and we learned how to deal with these types of bull shit returns. It said to first go to the place of purchase and if that doesn't work then go to the actual owner of the store. (If it is a big store and he is never there, mail him, call him, etc.,) If that doesn't work, then just keep going higher and higher up the totem pole. Take them to court if you must. (Absolute worst scenario.) The worst thing you can do is not do anything. Keep telling them."

Well the thing is i didn't buy it from Nivdia, but through Newegg, but Newegg doesn't deal with my RMA, or even the shield, so go through Nivdia. I don't think the place of purchase is responsible for the defect, or the product at all, so i think Nivdia is all i can go through  

I try to get far up on the totem, but i get shot down; i cant get past these tech 1's, and then passed on to some guy named "Josh", and i have talked to him through all the RMA's, and is very familiar of my case. He's now laughing at me, and ending all communication i have with; he also has a why are you bothering me type of attitude, and it's offensive. When i ask for someone higher up; he refuses to do so, and says he's the top.. lol.

"Never purchased anything from Nvidia. The only Nvidia product I own is a GTX 660 that I purchased from Newegg."

As it pains me to say.... i won't be able to ever purchase a Nivdia product again because of this; i was going to upgrade my 660 ti to a 780 ti, but that has changed since this has happened; now i'm thinking about going AMD for my GPU now. 
Don't get me wrong; i still think they are better cards, but the service, and customer care is what matters to me; this obviously a company without any merit in the way they do business.  

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

It matters on the state, but the one i'm in makes lemon law apply to all things; i found this on it, but you confirmed what i thought it meant. http://www.computerlemonlaw.com/rights.html

"I don't think your'e wrong at all. If a product that you bought doesn't work and you have to do the work of sending it back 5+ times is ridiculous. Especially coming from a company like Nivdia." That's what i thought, but they act like this is normal, and that i should just shut up.

"I took a Financial Literacy class just last semester and we learned how to deal with these types of bull shit returns. It said to first go to the place of purchase and if that doesn't work then go to the actual owner of the store. (If it is a big store and he is never there, mail him, call him, etc.,) If that doesn't work, then just keep going higher and higher up the totem pole. Take them to court if you must. (Absolute worst scenario.) The worst thing you can do is not do anything. Keep telling them."

Well the thing is i didn't buy it from Nivdia, but through Newegg, but Newegg doesn't deal with my RMA, or even the shield, so go through Nivdia. I don't think the place of purchase is responsible for the defect, or the product at all, so i think Nivdia is all i can go through  

I try to get far up on the totem, but i get shot down; i cant get past these tech 1's, and then passed on to some guy named "Josh", and i have talked to him through all the RMA's, and is very familiar of my case. He's now laughing at me, and ending all communication i have with; he also has a why are you bothering me type of attitude, and it's offensive. When i ask for someone higher up; he refuses to do so, and says he's the top.. lol.

"Never purchased anything from Nvidia. The only Nvidia product I own is a GTX 660 that I purchased from Newegg."

As it pains me to say.... i won't be able to ever purchase a Nivdia product again because of this; i was going to upgrade my 660 ti to a 780 ti, but that has changed since this has happened; now i'm thinking about going AMD for my GPU now. 
Don't get me wrong; i still think they are better cards, but the service, and customer care is what matters to me; this obviously a company without any merit in the way they do business.  

I completely understand about you going to AMD. I would think your'e weird if you didn't! (not really) It's the same thing with buying from MSI or something. If you get a bad experience with MSI, then the next product you buy is from EVGA or ASUS. Not MSI. 

I hope that you either get a working Shield or get your money back.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

I completely understand about you going to AMD. I would think your'e weird if you didn't! (not really) It's the same thing with buying from MSI or something. If you get a bad experience with MSI, then the next product you buy is from EVGA or ASUS. Not MSI. 

I hope that you either get a working Shield or get your money back.

O god; the horrors of MSI RMA.....

I'm just so tired of this bull crap; i want a good company to buy from. 

Thanks man for the advice.

~Abraham Lincoln

O god; the horrors of MSI RMA.....

I'm just so tired of this bull crap; i want a good company to buy from. 

Thanks man for the advice.

No problem. 

Is it that bad? I bought the MSI 660. Well its probably too late for any refunds or warranties since it has been a year or two.

My Computer

Beef Cake