Why does LED fans always look like 卐?

Erik4boss

Again, it does not actually look like that in real life. It only looks like that because of the fan is spinning faster than the "shutter speed" of the camera. 

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

I'm more concerned about where u got the nazi (swastika should I say) symbol from ha

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Try enermax fans

It's a Sharingan! *insert long-ass explanation on its history, powers, weaknesses, legendary status, and the user boasting about it before being skewered to death*

eternal_mangekyou_sharingan_by_hayabusan

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

it does not bend the light.... light travels at a speed so great the movement of acrylic is nothing. and believe me, its the frequency, and the positioning of the leds

As far as i know, a clear material will usually bend (refract) light.

Transparent plastic can bend light just like water, that gives it the curve from the curved impellers. 

I'm more concerned about where u got the nazi (swastika should I say) symbol from ha

"nazi on keyboard" google search.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

Oh come on, now LED fans are racist lol what will it be next carpet waves will be racist? its just how physics works with LED's in 4 corners while fans are spinning.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

• 5 months later...

Again, it does not actually look like that in real life. It only looks like that because of the fan is spinning faster than the "shutter speed" of the camera. 

It doesn't look like that in person and in low light.

They only look like that when you take a picture, and some times when you record video depending on how fast the fan is spinning that the frame rate that the video is recorded at. In person the full fan lights up. It's brighter at the points where the LEDs are located obviously, but it doesn't look the same as it does when you take a picture.

Nope, they look like that in any situation. My 230T came with those Corsair LED fans installed

I have to contest this, had many fans that did look like the swastike, on a picture or real life. Didn't matter.

CPU:Intel I7-6700k , CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, Ram: Kingston 2666 Mhz 16GB, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0, PSU: Corsair AXi 860W, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1x2TB, WD Green 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 1TB, SSD Samsung 840 120GB (OS DRIVE), SSD Samsung 840 250GB, Case: Enermax Fulmo GT.

it does not bend the light.... light travels at a speed so great the movement of acrylic is nothing. and believe me, its the frequency, and the positioning of the leds

You're wrong mate. Because of the curved shape of the acrylic blades the light is refracted towards the center of the fan. Sometimes LED brightness is indeed varied with PWM technology and this strobing can produce strange effects, but it's not what's happening here. If you don't want to run the risk of having something that looks ever so vaguely like a swastika the best thing you can do is either get fans that have less or more than four LEDs like for example the Antec TriCool or indeed the Enermax Apollish, or get a fan that has the LEDs in the hub instead of in the frame, like the Cooler Master JetFlo. Having opaque blades instead of clear ones would probably help too.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

You're wrong mate. Because of the curved shape of the acrylic blades the light is refracted towards the center of the fan. Sometimes LED brightness is indeed varied with PWM technology and this strobing can produce strange effects, but it's not what's happening here. If you don't want to run the risk of having something that looks ever so vaguely like a swastika the best thing you can do is either get fans that have less or more than four LEDs like for example the Antec TriCool or indeed the Enermax Apollish, or get a fan that has the LEDs in the hub instead of in the frame, like the Cooler Master JetFlo. Having opaque blades instead of clear ones would probably help too.

what in the world did you find... i really dont have the will to go find what this is about, but your post sounds logical, while mine doesnt. which is weird

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

what in the world did you find... i really dont have the will to go find what this is about, but your post sounds logical, while mine doesnt. which is weird

Lol. Just noticed how old that thread was xD

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It's just a geometric shape. The only time it matters is if there is intent behind it.

The same as words, really...

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

It's because of the way the fan blades spinning and the various positions the leds end up hitting them in. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.