Upgrading from win 7

QueenRatchet123

While installing win8, will i lose my data, such as steam games etc....

I believe there is an option. One will let you keep your data and just install the new OS, and the other is a clean install.

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

I believe there is an option. One will let you keep your data and just install the new OS, and the other is a clean install.

i hope soo, dont feel like having to re-install everything

You are able to keep your data if you are upgrading to Windows 8 from 7. In order to keep your data, I think you would have to boot the installation on Windows 7 rather than booting it directly on boot. I upgraded to Windows 8 from 7 and didn't lose data but you may have to reinstall some applications due to the OS switch.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

qjO0QZa.png

Found a screenshot. Apparently you only keep windows settings, programs, user accounts, and "files." They could elaborate a bit on "files"...

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

You are able to keep your data if you are upgrading to Windows 8 from 7. In order to keep your data, I think you would have to boot the installation on Windows 7 rather than booting it directly on boot. I upgraded to Windows 8 from 7 and didn't lose data but you may have to reinstall some applications due to the OS switch.

Had the same problem there. My origin games where ok, but I had some issues with some of my steam games....

MOBO: ASUS X79 Pro CPU: i7 3820 Ram: Corsair Vengence 32Gb 2133mhz (8x4) GPU: 2 x Sapphire R9 290 in X-fire PSU: Seasonic G series 750w Drives: 1 x 750 gig WD black, 3x WD Black 1TB, 1 x Segate Barrcuda 1 TB, 1 x Toshiba 2TB, Intel 520 240gig SSD Case: Enthoo Primo w/ Green and Blue LED lighting.

You should be doing a clean install every 1-2 years...might as well do it now that you are changing OS no?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should be doing a clean install every 1-2 years...might as well do it now that you are changing OS no?

Mabey you are right. are there any benefits to doing this?

1. your HDD doesn't get filled up with random junk that you never noticed

2. makes organizing old things much easier

3. reminds you to backup?

Why wouldn't there be benefits to clean installing? Clean installing should be a rule of thumb when getting a new board, CPU, OS, etc.

When you uninstall a program, residual files are left behind that slowly fill up your drive, and make windows slow down over time. You also get rid of old software you no longer use, and maybe forgot you had installed. A clean install will make sure your PC is as fresh as new, and you can get all the latest versions of your software.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Re-installing doesnt take that long though... Like two hours IMO at most for most users.

Install Drivers/Restart, Applications and Net-Frameworks installed, restart, Install Games (or copy the games data back)

Then its all the little things... like Wallpaper and certain user-specific options.

Shouldn't be more than a few hours OR LESS, of your your dedicated time.

Not a big ask, saves some headaches when these "transfer settings" features don't always work as they say they will.

Plus who doesn't love the snappy awesomeness that is a fresh and fast re-installed OS.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Re-installing doesnt take that long though... Like two hours IMO at most for most users.

Install Drivers/Restart, Applications and Net-Frameworks installed, restart, Install Games (or copy the games data back)

Then its all the little things... like Wallpaper and certain user-specific options.

Shouldn't be more than a few hours OR LESS, of your your dedicated time.

Not a big ask, saves some headaches when these "transfer settings" features don't always work as they say they will.

Plus who doesn't love the snappy awesomeness that is a fresh and fast re-installed OS.

Thank you, will do

You will have the option to keep your data and programs, however I recommend doing a clean install so you get that fresh OS experience.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads