My E3 Thoughts on the Big Three. Yours?

Stefky

TLDR version:

- Sony and MS were pretty similar in content, did enough to please current adopters, but not enough to make their consoles “must buys” quite yet.

- The Wii U is gaining momentum and looks very appealing right now.

- By my personal impressions, Nintendo “won” E3.

In finer detail:

The Next Gen Twins – Sony and MS

In terms of Sony and MS, when you wipe away the fanboy wars and partisan media picking their sides, I thought in reality they had a very similar E3 –

Both had couple of new 2014 full-retail titles each:

X1 –

Forza Horizon 2

Sunset Overdrive

PS4 –

Drive Club

Little Big Planet 3

Both also had a “re-master” next-gen release of old games in 2014 each:

X1 –

Halo - The Master Chief Collection

PS4 –

The Last of Us

Both had one of their biggest exclusives (both of them from high-status Japanese developers) only present in CG trailer form that was hard to see what the game would be. Both are exciting though, and I am hoping for big things from:

X1 –

ScaleBound – which I would put money on being 2016

PS4 –

BloodBorne – which claimed a 2015 release in the trailer, but we’ll see. I’d expect to be seeing gameplay by now if that was the case and Sony don’t have a great track record of arriving on time

Both have a modest number of 2015 full retail releases, including a flagship a piece in new Halo and Uncharted titles:

X1 –

Halo 5 Guardians, Fable Legends, Quantum Break (they also showed some CG for titles I assume are 2016 – Crackdown and Phantom Dust)

PS4 –

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, The Order 1886

So both extremely similar on the full retail front.

Both also had some interesting small digitals to show. I’m pretty sure all of them will be on PC as well, and most will come to the other platform eventually. Most exciting for me was the new game from the Limbo devs Play Dead Inside, and the Tex Avery inspired Cuphead. A few of the best looking ones were console exclusive (but I believe slated for PC too).

X1 –

Ori and the Blind Forest

PS4 –

The Witness

No Man’s Sky

The thing for me about small digital games being “console exclusive” is that it means so very little. Console exclusivity in AAA games does actually mean something as a higher end PC that most don’t own is required to run them, generally costing at least as much as a next gen console anyway if not a lot more. When it comes to a small digital game, most of them could easily run on any fairly recently purchased standard laptop or desktop PC. The console manufacturers (and their die-hard fans) crowing about their timed or lifetime exclusivity to their platform is meaningless to me when the games will be accessible by anyone so long as they have some kind, any kind of PC, but I digress.

Elsewhere on the digital front, we also had the first character of Season 2 for Killer Instinct revealed – TJ Combo – and fans of the series such as myself were relieved so see it is on track for 2014, which was a worry for some fans after the developer hand-over between Double Helix and Iron Galaxy.

All in all, despite the media desperate to name a winner, there was not much between them and in fact there were some eerie similarities in their content. I expect Xbox One owners like me will be content enough with their own lot, but not see a reason to buy a PS4 quite yet, and PS4 owners will feel the same in reverse. For neutrals, it’ll come down to personal taste, but I expect most who have been waiting so far will continue to wait a bit longer before jumping on board with next gen.

It does come down to personal preference for games, but for me MS edged it, although not by much. The games they have for this year seem more appealing to me.

Forza Horizon has a strong pedigree, while Drive Club’s has been questionable from day one and constant delays seldom spell a happy ending. Sunset Overdrive was one of the best things I’ve seen yet at E3 – a balls-out-fun fusion of Tony Hawkes and Dead Rising with a unique art style and a good sense of humour. Little Big Planet 3 will be fun I’m sure, but take the creation side away and it’s never got anywhere close to Mario or Rayman as a platformer. It’s just “OK”.

When it comes to the re-releases, the Halo pack represents enormous value and collects a decade’s worth of GOTY contenders, two of them actually fully re-tooled rather than just up-rezzed. It also has every Xbox Halo MP map ever, which is mind blowing. You could probably buy this one game and play it all year. The Last of Us is an amazing game, and for those who moved from 360 to PS4, it’s going to be a welcome gift. But for who have already played it, it’s just too soon for it to have any impact. Much like Tomb Raider’s recent next gen re-master, those who didn’t play it last gen will buy it, those who did will let it pass by. It might be a smart move for Sony to move fast and aim to get an Uncharted 1,2,3 1080p/60fps collection out as soon as possible to counter it - it would certainly be a better value proposition.

A final note on the conferences themselves as opposed to the content:

Both were generally good, although the Sony one dragged out a bit with non-gaming sections. Sony have always given a hundred or so seats to super-fans to attend, a practice which ensures that everything anyone says gets hysterical whoops and hollers, but this does come across as a bit staged at times. I also have to say that Sony also let themselves down with their incessant sniping at MS – three major shows in a row now they have made classless digs - and they weirdly even seemed to have a snipe at EA this time too. They need to learn to exercise a little class, especially when they are doing so well sales-wise. It’s the corporate equivalent of “tea bagging” to make fun of your competition when you are already winning. It might get a cheer from their fanboys, but its off-putting to grown adults looking to see some new games and features to be drawn into a petty squabble.

The Underdog – Nintendo

The big surprise for me is that I came out of Nintendo’s streams yesterday desperately wanting a Wii U. I don’t know if it’ll be with the expected Smash Bros SKU that I’ll cave in, or later with a Zelda SKU, but I am pretty sure one of these consoles is in my future.

The time has come for that console. Launching first has left them in a position where they have a critical mass of games worth playing already out and on the immediate horizon – NSMB U, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Smash soon and Zelda looking incredible on the horizon.

The Star Fox announcement (while it looks a LOOONG way off) was an extra sweetener and to be honest there was nothing I saw yesterday that didn’t bring a smile to my face. The squids game looked like a fresh take on the FPS, and the Zelda Dynasty Warriors game really highlighted the value of eschewing a press release for a stream. I’ve been aware of Dynasty Warriors before but never considered it much, from screen shots it looked complicated, HUD-heavy, very Japanese and inaccessible. Just watching it for five minutes and understanding how the dynamics of territory worked and I was starting to think I could really enjoy a game like that.

Yes, it’s graphically a last-gen console, but now it’s HD at least it’s not offensively ugly on HD TVs. Nintendo’s artists have always been able to work magic with limited resources, good at choosing an art style that works well with their limitations. The little bit of Zelda they showed yesterday would look like a great game on any platform.

In conclusion after a very difficult couple of years with their home console, it seems to be finding its stride now, if they keep this up, I think a lot of people who had written the Wii U off will find themselves buying one next year.

Who Won? For me, Nintendo

P.S. Wrote this at work, so sorry if the cut and paste led to odd formatting.

I just wanted GTA V.... Everything else I was just like.. Ehhh. It's the show for peasants. Nothing much to be interested about for me. 

i love the Wii and the Nintendo, the only two consoles i respect, i love their games as well specially Mario Kart, i play with my yong sister all the time, so i say the Wii Rocked at E3

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

All I really cared for were The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight. And Sniper Elite 3 to some extent because I liked V2, and this one looks promising.

GTA V for PC is good too, but I'll wait for a retardedly low price for it before getting it. Rockstar has always taken too long, and the hype is all gone, so I'll wait longer.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Personally I think its finally time to get a hold of all 3 consoles

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Personally I think its finally time to get a hold of all 3 consoles

For me, that time will come, but not yet.

I already have an Xbox One, but I don't see enough software to justify a PS4 yet. Maybe at the end of 2015 or 2016, but right now it's a lot of money for a handful of games. 

I'd feel the same way if I'd gone for a PS4 as well. Both are ticking over OK, but neither have reached that tipping point where they feel "must have".

For me, Wii U is the one that is getting there now, and it's a feeling augmented by the fact that it's a good £100 cheaper at least. 

For me, that time will come, but not yet.

I already have an Xbox One, but I don't see enough software to justify a PS4 yet. Maybe at the end of 2015 or 2016, but right now it's a lot of money for a handful of games. 

I'd feel the same way if I'd gone for a PS4 as well. Both are ticking over OK, but neither have reached that tipping point where they feel "must have".

For me, Wii U is the one that is getting there now, and it's a feeling augmented by the fact that it's a good £100 cheaper at least. 

Yeah will get a Wii U first since its cheap (might order it tonight...maybe)

But I do intend to get a PS4 and One on pay day. They have a few titles each now that I personally deem must have, plus all the stuff I am missing out with PS+ and Xbox Gold - free stuff 

I think I will take the leap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have been really impressed by every press conference. Without a doubt, this was the best E3 event I have seen in a very long time! 

Microsoft really pulled it back for me this year, to be honest. Forza Horizon 2 looks great, Sunset Overdrive looks like brilliant fun and the Master Chief collection simply blew my mind. Also Ori And The Blind Forest looks really intriguing and beautiful. Sony's conference had some great highlights too - No Man's Sky looks breathtaking, Metal Gear Solid V trailer was brilliant and 'Grand Theft Batman' looked epic. 

But, Nintendo stunned me. Whilst Microsoft and Sony surprised me by having a large number of really good looking games, Nintendo stunned me by having nothing but really good looking games. As someone who hasn't traditionally been really big on Nintendo's products or games (with one or two exceptions), I was really not expecting to find anything of interest during their conference... but every single game without fail seriously impressed me. I've gone from dismissing the Wii U as irrelevant to badly wanting one in the space of a single day.

Overall, it was a brilliant event. Each platform had a really great selection of games on show and I certainly couldn't say that anyone 'lost' this E3 - but for me, Nintendo won it without a doubt. :D

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Being from Michigan, I thought you meant GM, Chrysler, and Ford. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)