Hydro H80i in a Define R4

So i want a Hydro H80i or a H100i inside my case because air cooling on cpu fans are ugly as poop and these water coolers are small and have pretty customizable light on them :D

The debate is where i should place one of these.
I would like to keep my case as silent as possible so i'm hesitating to remove the noise dampening material from the top
and keeping a H80i in the back might not be as good looking because then i can see a big chunk of it there.

Im thinking if i can somehow fit it in the front of the case?
This wont be the best though since they'll pull warm air inside the case.

The best solution i see is just removing the noise dampening material from the top and praying to the creators of the matrix that it wont make more noise annyway.

Annyone with innovative thoughts about this?

Thanks for all feedback <3

Redliquid~

If you're shooting for silence, I suggest staying away from AIO's in general. The H80i or H100i with noise-dampening foam is still quite louder than a decent heatsink without any foam. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you're shooting for silence, I suggest staying away from AIO's in general. The H80i or H100i with noise-dampening foam is still quite louder than a decent heatsink without any foam. 

I just want it to be quite when im not gaming/putting stress on it.

Do you know anny cpu air coolers for a 2011 socket that look good?

Redliquid~

Looks are subjective but I'd suggest taking a look at the Havik 140, Dark Rock Pro 3, and the PH-TC14PE. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My h110's pump is silent. It also means one fewer fan since the two attached to the rad would have been on the case anyway. The stock fans themselves maybe aren't silent at full speed (few are at full speed), but you're free to use whatever fans you like.

My h110's pump is silent. It also means one fewer fan since the two attached to the rad would have been on the case anyway. The stock fans themselves maybe aren't silent at full speed (few are at full speed), but you're free to use whatever fans you like.

I wouldnt mind getting a pair of 120mm/140 fans to it,

But im not sure wich ones i should get.

Spectre pros led fans are sexy but i dont know about preformance compared to others.

The h110 doesnt have the pretty light but seems to be a little quieter.

Always something ^^

Redliquid~

No, it isn't. The pump isn't loud but the Kraken x60's pump isn't either while being quieter.

Silent is silent. Quiet or very quiet is not silent. 

I wouldnt mind getting a pair of 120mm fans to it,

Spectre pros led fans are sexy but i dont know about preformance compared to others.

The H110 is a 280mm rad and uses 140mm fans. 

Spectre Pros are fine for performance but aren't that quiet. If you really want to go with an AIO like the H110, I'd recommend getting something along the lines of Rosewill Hyperboreas/Akasa Apaches.

I wouldnt mind getting a pair of 120mm fans to it,

Ah I can already feel the arguments between Gentle Typhoon and NF-F12 coming :P

No, it isn't. The pump isn't loud but the Kraken x60's pump isn't either while being quieter.

Silent is silent. Quiet or very quiet is not silent. 

The H110 is a 280mm rad and uses 140mm fans. 

Spectre Pros are fine for performance but aren't that quiet. If you really want to go with an AIO like the H110, I'd recommend getting something along the lines of Rosewill Hyperboreas/Akasa Apaches.

lol you're telling me whether something less than a foot from my face as I type this is silent.

The H110 is just the example I have anyway, I don't think the op actually wants a dual 140 rad...

Dark Rock Pro 3, cools just as good as the AIO but nearly dead silent.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Dark Rock Pro 3, cools just as good as the AIO but nearly dead silent.

I'm looking at watercooling because i dont want a big chunk of metall in front of my window case =)

Redliquid~

Ah I can already feel the arguments between Gentle Typhoon and NF-F12 coming :P

lol you're telling me whether something less than a foot from my face as I type this is silent.

The H110 is just the example I have anyway, I don't think the op actually wants a dual 140 rad...

Whatever's small(preferably shining green) and quiet is what i want ^^

Redliquid~

If someone can tell whether or not system is on from the sound, the system isn't silent. 

I'm looking at watercooling because i dont want a big chunk of metall in front of my window case =)

It really comes down to having a silent rig with a chunk of metal in your window or a AIO with it's loud fans/pump.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If someone can tell whether or not system is on from the sound, the system isn't silent. 

i didnt mean to start an argument, 

I'm wondering how much noise a  Hydro 100i would make in idle though,

While surfing, listening to music and such.

would a Hydro 100i fit at the top of a R4 though?

Redliquid~

i didnt mean to start an argument, 

I'm wondering how much noise a  Hydro 100i would make in idle though,

While surfing, listening to music and such.

would a Hydro 100i fit at the top of a R4 though?

It's pretty audible even at the lowest speed and gets louder as the fans ramp up.

Yes, it fits. 

It's pretty audible even at the lowest speed and gets louder as the fans ramp up.

Yes, it fits. 

Unless you're advising them to achieve silence by not using any fans, citing the cooler's noise by its fan noise is irrelevant. You can replace those with better ones. Which you'd have to get anyway if you used an air cooler. With another additional fan as well. Run the stock fans at 30% and they will be inaudible. Run better fans at higher speeds and they can be inaudible.

Unless you're advising them to achieve silence by not using any fans, citing the cooler's noise by its fan noise is irrelevant. You can replace those with better ones. Which you'd have to get anyway if you used an air cooler. With another additional fan as well. Run the stock fans at 30% and they will be inaudible. Run better fans at higher speeds and they can be inaudible.

I'm not advising an attempt to achieve silence. Silence just isn't practical and isn't doable with any moving parts. 

You can replace fans with better ones but you can also add 6-inch thick dampening foam. 

Unless a specific alternate configuration is made, citing the fan noise is one of the few things that are actually relevant to noise levels. 

Aftermarket fans aren't necessary for most decent air coolers. 

The fans are not inaudible at 30%. No moving parts are inaudible. Any inaudible fan would otherwise be praised by enthusiasts of quiet systems and quieter fans wouldn't still be sought after.

I'm not advising an attempt to achieve silence. Silence just isn't practical and isn't doable with any moving parts. 

You can replace fans with better ones but you can also add 6-inch thick dampening foam. 

Unless a specific alternate configuration is made, citing the fan noise is one of the few things that are actually relevant to noise levels. 

Aftermarket fans aren't necessary for most decent air coolers. 

The fans are not inaudible at 30%. No moving parts are inaudible. Any inaudible fan would otherwise be praised by enthusiasts of quiet systems and quieter fans wouldn't still be sought after.

When I say inaudible I mean I just set all of my fans to 30% and could only hear the gpu fans. In a Corsair Air 540. Not a silent case by any stretch of the imagination. In a case that actually had soundproofing, such as the Fractal Design R4, yes they will be inaudible.

You say aftermarket fans aren't necessary for most air coolers but this is misleading. The fans on an AIO are not just CPU fans. They are also case fans. Case fans you would have to buy anyway if you used an air cooler. I don't see how reducing the number of fans and moving parts in a system makes it louder.

When I say inaudible I mean I just set all of my fans to 30% and could only hear the gpu fans. In a Corsair Air 540. Not a silent case by any stretch of the imagination. In a case that actually had soundproofing, such as the Fractal Design R4, yes they will be inaudible.

You say aftermarket fans aren't necessary for most air coolers but this is misleading. The fans on an AIO are not just CPU fans. They are also case fans. Case fans you would have to buy anyway if you used an air cooler.

You'd probably be able to hear your fans if you removed your graphics card--even in a Define R4. 

Most decent air coolers*, not most air coolers. An air cooler than needs the stock fan(s) replaced is likely not a decent cooler. Why would you need to buy fans for an air cooler? Something like a NH-u14s or Dark Rock Pro 3 don't really benefit much from having their fans replaced. 

I don't see how reducing the number of fans and moving parts in a system makes it louder.

?

Where'd you get that idea?.

tbh you guys probably think my pc is loud as my oc profile for my gpu is 55% fan but i can barely hear it over my keyboard

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

You'd probably be able to hear your fans if you removed your graphics card--even in a Define R4. 

Most decent air coolers*, not most air coolers. An air cooler than needs the stock fan(s) replaced is likely not a decent cooler. Why would you need to buy fans for an air cooler? Something like a NH-u14s or Dark Rock Pro 3 don't really benefit much from having their fans replaced. 

?

Where'd you get that idea?.

If you have to remove your graphics card to hear your fan, what precisely is the point in going for dead silence? As long as it's quieter than your GPU idles, you wouldn't notice either way.

Most air coolers (I'm completely ignoring stock coolers, I didn't think anyone was arguing in favour of those :P) don't need a new fan attached to them. But if you do that, you do need to put exhaust fans on your case. With an AIO, depending on its size, some number of these fans are going to be repurposed as radiator fans. The fans here are going to be needed one way or another, so you aren't removing these fans by using an air cooler. Therefore an AIO necessitates the same number of fans as an air cooler, minus the one which would have been on the heatsink. That's why even if you wanted to replace all of the fans on your AIO you wouldn't be in any different a position to if you had gone with an air cooler either way.

And I don't understand your last question. How did I get the idea that fewer fans, so fewer sources of noise, was quieter? It's self explanatory...

Here's the deal with 240mm Aios and the R4. Half the time they don't fit on the roof. That's due to motherboard heatsinks, power plugs and ram. You can offset the rad though and force bolts through the mesh, not suppose to fit there though and looks off. If the case were a half inch taller though......

What you can do however is mount a 240 in the front and still have the smaller hdd cage installed but offset. All of the required holes are there and the tubing should reach, corsair reaches anyway.

So why not do the h80 and ignore all of that headache? Because 120mm Aios are junk and should only be used when you have little space, get a good air cooler.

If you have to remove your graphics card to hear your fan, what precisely is the point in going for dead silence? As long as it's quieter than your GPU idles, you wouldn't notice either way.

My point was that silence is silent. Quiet or very quiet is not silent. 

Just because your case fans and pump is quieter than your gpu doesn't mean it's silent. When I used my HIS 7850, I just turn off the fan because it stays very cool.

Most air coolers (I'm completely ignoring stock coolers, I didn't think anyone was arguing in favour of those :P) don't need a new fan attached to them. But if you do that, you do need to put exhaust fans on your case. With an AIO, depending on its size, some number of these fans are going to be repurposed as radiator fans. The fans here are going to be needed one way or another, so you aren't removing these fans by using an air cooler. Therefore an AIO necessitates the same number of fans as an air cooler, minus the one which would have been on the heatsink. That's why even if you wanted to replace all of the fans on your AIO you wouldn't be in any different a position to if you had gone with an air cooler either way.

Please rephrase--not sure what you mean. 

And I don't understand your last question. How did I get the idea that fewer fans, so fewer sources of noise, was quieter? It's self explanatory...

It seemed like you were implying I suggested otherwise? 

I think i should rephrase or  simply ask the question, 
Wich is the quietest AIO Water cooler i can get?

Redliquid~